Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Fountain of Youth

top: a Ted Trimmer Sunset




"Haku" Lei (on the head)

Boundary. See it?





Strutting Egret (at the busy Hilton beachfront)






"I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it." - Steven Wright



"He who knows best knows how little he knows." - Thomas Jefferson



"I hold this to be the highest task for a bond between two people: that each protects the solitude of the other." - Rainer Maria Rilke

• • •
CHILDLIKE TRAITS ARE THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH!

Here are the "childlike" traits that the late anthropologist Ashley Montagu claimed would preserve youthfulness in adults:

· The need for love
· Friendship
· Sensitivity
· The need to think soundly
· The need to know
· The need to learn
· The need to work
· The need to organize
· Curiosity
· A sense of wonder
· Playfulness
· Imagination
· Creativity
· Open-mindedness
· Flexibility
· Experimental-mindedness
· Explorativeness
· Resiliency
· A sense of humor
· Joyfulness
· Laughter and tears
· Optimism
· Honesty and trust
· Compassionate intelligence
· Dance
· Song
Source: "Growing Young" by Ashley Montagu (Bergin & Garvey, 1988).








10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to grow young!

Barbara Martin said...

I agree with Ashley Montagu, as a writer we need to have all those childlike traits to creat great works.

Sepiru Chris said...

To Ashley Montagu's list I would add an aversion to routine, or a willingness to leave the comfort of the known which, in my mind, are both slightly different from some of the other enumerated traits.

claude said...

Hello Cloudia ! Hello HawaÏ !
Sorry no time enough this morning to try to translate what you have written (seems very interesting).
Your first picture is very very beautiful. I had to clean the romm friends because this evening my cousin Françoise comes to visit me. Her name is Montagu!!!

Carver said...

The sunset is stunning and all the shots are great. I liked the childhood traits.

laughingwolf said...

all bloody brilliant, as my pals in ol blighty would say... thx cloudia

cheryl said...

I do believe I will live forever ! Wonderful Cloudia :)

Dave King said...

I'm happy with my collection of pebbles - I keep it where Steve Wright keeps his shells.

Cloudia said...

Aloha Barbara: Your opinion carries weight here in the Spiral. Thanks for sharing!

Chris: Yes! Aversion to empty routine married to love of it's better side . . .

Bonjour Claude: Quel coincidence!

Thanks, Carver ;-)

Laughing Wolf! You so fascinating in your lupine magisty. . .

You GO, I ponder!!

Dave: Ah, you're a true collector!
BTW my e-mails to you get bounced back. Thanks for visiting, Sir

Dragonstar said...

WOW! to that first photo - and yes, I see the boundary.