Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Recovery

"One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: To rise above the little things."
- John Burroughs

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas." - Anonymous






"The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated."
- William James


Christmas is the family holiday, for one day the world feels like our collective living room, and we want everyone to share in the joy. It's all about families gathering, gathering up the lonely, and seeing to it that every child has a present, every person a festive meal. Now New Years will be about our friends, about excess, and that all-important special other; we all want someone to kiss as the old year ends, someone to look forward with as a new year begins. Welcome to limbo week. Slowly the shoji screens of our life slide into place for the next performance of living. So take a moment to take a bow. All you people at the airport, all of you responsible for the explosion of Christmas in your domestic sphere - and for it's clean up; here's to us, all of us. And if it's a bit early in the day for a libation where you are, I say have one anyway, in the spirit of Christmas, of Hanukkah, of Kwanzaa. Take a break from the treadmill to take a look around. You've done pretty well this year, all in all. . . . Cheers &
A L O H A! Cloudia

17 comments:

laughingwolf said...

hope your's was great, cloudia

season's blessings to you and yours :D

Cloudia said...

LaughingWolf: Back at YOU, my web-friend!! Thanks for your visits & thoughtful comments. Aloha-

Yeti said...

Very well said!! Hope you're having a wonderful holiday!!

Anonymous said...

agree with yeti
well written

RiverPoet said...

I love the photo at the top of your template. I want to be there right now.

Also love the anon quote about food. Isn't that the truth??

I hope your Christmas was blessed...Peace - D

Rastaman said...

Aloha, Island Sister! Great words of wisdom here. Hope your Christmas was the way you wanted it to be.

Feisty Crone said...

Thanks for all the warm wishes, Cloudia. I hope your holidays are great.

Ana said...

Hello, thanks for visiting my blog and comment. I like your blog, and this post so truthful, and made me laugh- eating part. Merry Christmas and happy holidays! See you around ;)

Reader Wil said...

Thanj you for your great post. I'd like to use some of your quotations on my blog, if you don't mind. Thanks for visiting and your kind words!
I wish you a great weekend and a very happy 2009!

Maria Verivaki said...

hope all goes well till the new year!

Dave King said...

Wise words. I shall hang on to them!

Akelamalu said...

Such true and profound words Cloudia, thanks for the reminder. x

storyteller said...

Lovely blog and beautiful photo in your header. I'm delighted that you visited Sacred Ruminations and left a comment with a link back here. I'll definitely return as time permits.
Hugs and blessings,

claude said...

I never know what I will eat between Christmas and the New year after having eaten the rests of Christmas. I wonder what I will able to eat between the New year and next Christmas. Specially in 2009.
Your first photo is very nice . I like coconut trees !

Charles Gramlich said...

that broken ornament is kind of sad.

Cloudia said...

Yeti- aloha & thanks!!

Riverpoet- ah! you fell for my wicked plan to lure you back here often & make you feel great! Caught me...



Rastaman: Love your poems! Thanks for droppin` by.

Gran- Love ya!

Ana- Glad I found your blog. i know little of your are and will enjoy learning more. Beauty is everywhere!

Reader Wil- Nice to see YOU! Please use any quotes I discover - they belong to ALL of us. Come back often. . . See you at your blog!

Mediteranean Kiwi- I so appreciate you taking the time to visit and leave your "calling card." It makes me happy to see!

Dave King- YOU are a wise man, I'm just a "wiseguy" ;->

Ake- Bless you sistah! You are the Master Blogger!!

Storyteller- Thanks for the gift of your visit.
Aloha and welcome!

Claude- Your name and mine are both pronounced "Cloud" (i have the "ia"). we both love palm trees. I KNEW we were sisters!!

Charles- Kinda like we all feel after the frenzy. I love your Zen comments, and hope your Holidays are all you wish. Great seeing you, Mahalo!

Cloudia said...

Thanks to all you anonymous readers too!!