Thursday, January 8, 2009

Elvis Birthday

click on photos to enlarge!


“It is strange to be known so universally and yet to be so lonely."
- Albert Einstein




Today we celebrate the birthday of cultural icon Elvis. He loved Hawaii, made movies here, and he raised much of the funding for the moving Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor.






Some claim that the king never died; they say he is living here in the Isles unnoticed. Perhaps he has lunch with Ann Margaret who is known to visit regularly. Time has changed her to the point where she can stand outside her hotel in Waikiki and not be recognized. Local guy Barack Obama, on the other side of the curve, can no longer stroll Waikiki anonymously as he did growing up. Alive or immortal, Elvis is seen every night from Waikiki when the lights of Saint Louis Heights come on. There, many of us see the likeness of the king in the lights on the side of the dark mountain. One particular row of street lights makes for a dandy guitar strap. The film Blue Hawaii appeared in 1962. Watching it this morning on TCM I was struck by all the changes in Waikiki and our island in the past 47 years. . .
Aloha, Cloudia




16 comments:

Akelamalu said...

Wasn't Elvis just the most beautiful man? Aaaaahhhhhhh!

I love the film Blue Hawaii. I think when I saw that film was when I decided that some day I have to visit.

There are always reports in the papers here saying Elvis is alive and well and working in a chip shop in Bradford or somewhere! LOL

Cloudia said...

Ake- How wonderful! Chips & Poi, perhaps? And so in a little English girl's heart, AKELAMALU Momi Lani was born before a movie screen all those years ago. . . .
our good fortune! Aloha, sistah!

David Cranmer said...

I've always been a fan and still buy his music. A great, great voice.

Reader Wil said...

Interesting post! I fell in love with your pink cloud. It's absolutely wonderful. Happy SWF!

Lyzzydee said...

They say you can remember where you were when you heard about Elvis' death, I was at home and in bed, great tallent, great loss.

The Grandpa said...

Aloha, Coudia. Should we all get togather and sing a rousing chorus of Happy Birthday to the King? I can probably still wiggle my hips.

Cloudia said...

David C- aloha!

Reader wil - oh to be lost in a pink cloud ;-)

Lyzzydee- great seeing you here!

Granpa- I'd love to see than, aloha!

SandyCarlson said...

I didn't realize he helped raise money for the memorial. I love Elvis. Just a good guy. Thanks for this post.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Lovely memorial post to Elvis! I still love to watch his movies on a lazy Sunday afternoon!

Cloudia said...

Sandy C - You're very welcome, Elvis Fan ;-)

G Scale -
You are a secret Ann Margaret, shhhh! Aloha!

magiceye said...

the legend who inspired the beatles!

namaste from mumbai,india

Brother Tobias said...

Someone lent me the album from Blue Hawaii at school, and I played it endlessly for a while. I didn't realise he had such a connection with the island though.

Barbara Martin said...

I still listen to his music. He had a wonderful voice. Now I have to dig out his music to listen again. Thanks, Cloudia.

Roan said...

I was an Elvis fan. I saw all of his movies, and Blue Hawaii was one of my favorites. I visited Graceland a few years ago, and found myself tearing up as I watched the eternal flame on his grave.

Feisty Crone said...

Many people believe Elvis is still alive. Alive or dead, I hope he's at peace. Thanks for the photo of him--he was gorgeous!

Junosmom said...

As a teen, even when it wasn't cool, I liked to watch his movies.