Thursday, January 22, 2009

Inauguration High


"Let us turn to each other, not on each other."

Inaugural Speech



"I don't measure America by its achievement but by its potential."
Shirley Chisholm

"We will extend a hand of friendship, if you are willing to unclench your fist." President Obama



"When I'm trusting and being myself... everything in my life reflects this by falling into place easily, often miraculously."
Shakti Gawain





Lawn Party at the Halekulani (above)





Royal Hawaiian Hotel Re-Opening. A Gala Local Inauguration Celebration!

Pics taken from outside da fence, and enlarge when clicked! Left, and Top.
Note family slide of young Barack in top picture.












Parrot Guy will place his feathered co-workers all over you, and take an unforgettable family portrait!



Inauguration day was like an unbelievable dream coming true. After years of ugliness, of dogma & talking points over science and dialogue. . . finally it's time to come home, America!
. . . Well, I possess no adequate words, just powerful impressions and memories: The tens of thousands of individual people and stories that came to Washington. . . Seeing Barack and his girls throw "Shaka" hand greetings to the Punahou School Band. . . Barack's greeting: "Aloha!" and Kauai`s General Eric Shinseki (discarded for speaking the truth but now confirmed as Veteran's Affairs Chief) dancing in a tuxedo at the "Home State Ball." . . .
. . . Barack & Michel dancing with military folks at the "Commander in Chief's Ball." Honolulu school children watching on TV and catching the "bug" of civic engagement. "He grew up around here just like me. Today I believe that anything is possible." Celebrations on almost every continent of the world; No one knows the full scope of what will come of this, and SO much more. . .
. . . Rick Warren and Rev. Lowrey both gave excellent excellent prayers. . .
. . . Intentions and beliefs are the cause of events. Enough people changed their minds, and the Berlin Wall came down. At this moment, millions of us all over the world are changing our minds about what is desirable and possible. . .
. . . I needed to take a break at last, and walked down Waikiki Beach around sunset last eve. Walk along with me through the pictures above.
And Welcome to the Next Chapter. . . A L O H A! Cloudia



17 comments:

Maria Verivaki said...

certianly in some parts of the world, anything is possible

claude said...

I watched Obama becoming your President at last. It was a great pleasure to see all the american people in tears but so happy.
Just some tears on my cheeks too.
Aloha Cloudia !

the walking man said...

I liked that O did no dillydallying around on his first day. Right to work addressing the needs of the nation by engaging the congress and military over Guantanamo and Iraq as well as putting a halt to the previous administrations pending executive orders for review.

I saw the children throw the Shaka and felt good for Hawaii.

Day 1...tremendous start.

Roan said...

Nice post. Love the parrot guy!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your recounting of the election, especially on Obama's "home turf"!

Daryl said...

I think of all the visual imagery President Obama's speech evoked, my favorite, the one that made the deepest impression was the 'clenched fist' ...

carmilevy said...

I don't think I've ever witnessed an inauguration that so touched the soul of the nation. Sure, it always garners headlines. But once it's over, it simply fades into history.

Not so this time out. It was palpable, a clear sign that something had changed forever. For the better.

It's a joy being alive to witness inflection points in history like this.

Akelamalu said...

What a wonderful day for Hawaii, America and the world! :)

Anonymous said...

I think the Royal Hawaiian was white in 1953. Not sure but I remember it being very bright. Nice that you captured so many of the president's words. I am thrilled with him.

Abraham Lincoln's Blog

Reader Wil said...

Never did I see so many happy faces as on Tuesday on the day of inauguration. Here also we were delighted about the fact that the Bush administration is over and done with. We wish president Obama all the wisdom and wise advisers to clear the mess.

Cloudia said...

Kiwi: Excellent point. thank you.

Claude: "Laffayette we are here" said the Americans who fought for France. We are sister countries; and YOU are MY sistah! Aloha-

WalkingMan: I love your thoughts & words.

BJ: Thanks!

Deborah: Mahalo ;-)

Daryl: Me TOO!

Carmi: We are in accord. Welcome! I love your blog too. aloha-

Ake; Mahalo M'Dear! Miss your post today ;-( Hope to see one soon. Aloha-

A.L. I believe it's always been pink, but perhaps it was brighter then. . . Lovely seeing you here!
Aloha All!

SandyCarlson said...

Your post gave me the chills. What a delightful time. I loved that the VP was taking photos for the First Daughter during the ceremony. We so need that kind of affection. The children will lead the way.

Over the months, I've come across really racist bloggers who disguise their bigotry in the tawdry rags of politics. It's nice to once and for all out them and move on--and welcome them on the journey.

A hearty amen from Connecticut.

Feisty Crone said...

So true, Cloudia! Infinite possibilities!

Kay said...

I didn't expect that feeling of walking on clouds all day watching the inauguration. Great post, Cloudia.

magiceye said...

here's wishing everybody a bright future!!

aloha and namaste!!

Yolanda said...

Maybe we were twins seperated at birth.

Fida said...

I think we should be thankful to Mr. Bush. Wihtout him, I doubt, that change would have come. Finally people stood up and didn't "just let it happen."