Saturday, February 21, 2009

Club NOT a Gang

Click on photos to enlarge!

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.

Eric Hoffer





"The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity." Helen Rowland


"The learned man knows that he is ignorant." Victor Hugo




Above is the "patch" of my old motorcycle club, Na Wahine O Mana, Women of Power (Spiritual Energy) that a few of us founded here in Honolulu in the late 1980's.
The winged wahine/woman is holding the island of Oahu aloft. The "Bottom Rocker," Aloha State, (our domain) must be unique to each MC, Motorcycle Club, and it is through negotiation with the existing clubs that a group is permitted exclusive use of such a "turf."
There was potential masculinist trouble and raised eyebrows over the display of "MC" by a group of women. But we were tough women: taxi driver (me) federal police officer (Sandy) postal worker ("Elvis") airline flight mechanic (Cheryl) and the toughest of all: Marci, the dental hygienist.
Marci and I had been hanging around the garage with our guy-pal "Rat" of the Devil's Breed MC (readers of my novel might recognize a tall, intelligent, good looking motorcycle guy with an animal nickname). We worked on our bikes, broke all the rules, and learned the inside lore of the MC culture back to the post WWII Hells Angels made up of veteran fighter pilots. Rat was no poseur. Us gals were young and somewhat reckless, so we were ready to fly the "MC" and not be anybodies lady's auxiliary.
Over the Waipahu Formica table the presidents of the guy clubs said: "You're good to go as far as that is concerned, but you're not an "MC."
"See those things outside?" Marcie asked. "Those are motorcycles. We ride them everyday; we fix them; we stick together. We are a Motorcycle Club."
And we had the patches made.
The first few times we "flew" them we were ready to brawl if necessary. But we were received with respect at roadside dives, and charity runs alike. No one knew what to make of us. Gay? (My husband enjoyed that!) They were only half right, but that's no never mind. . .
One time, a club was having a big party at their clubhouse. We allowed one of their guys to ride up front beside our president and show us the way. We roared over the pineapple fields onto the H-1 at highly illegal speeds, just inches apart in perfect two-by-two formation. The only headgear? Baseball caps.
When we got to the party and cut the motors (cars have engines and drivers; motorcycles have motors & riders) he turned to us with a wind-dazzled expression and asked: "Where did you all learn to ride like that?!"
"Like what?" I asked him.
"FAST!"
No one ever bothered us. We earned the respect.
Marci might argue the point, but the winged wahine was my idea; the club name too. I enjoyed being vice president and letting her play lioness.
I also wrote the "official" Club poem:
Na Wahine O Mana
Objects of light
Riding at night
Windward side below the Pali
Mistress moon, come join her rally
Wahine riders free brave and kind
Together in one pack
Together of one mind.
R.I.P. Sistah Cheryl
A L O H A! Cloudia

26 comments:

claude said...

Beautiful sky on the first picture.
The both handsome young men are my grandsons. The sons of my oldest son.ALOHA, Cloudia !

Anonymous said...

CC, I would never have thought you were that tough! Wow!

I rode a motorcycle behind my date one evening. Pretty scary! My long hair got tangled in the wind (no helmet) and my eyes teared up, too. Not a pleasant experience.

But, I can imagine you enjoying the rush of adrenaline as you roared through the pineapple field.

Brother Tobias said...

Respect, Cloudia (I'm not going to mess with you!). One of the pics reminds me of how I used to ride into work in a three-piece suit.

the walking man said...

Nope just like the rest of my life during those days, I rode alone the big concrete. Glad you women took your respect though.

SandyCarlson said...

Oh, that was fun. What a great time you women had. I love it. I love the couage and the get-go. A ladies. aux. to a bike club seems a silly idea! The patch is really gorgeous.

Dave King said...

There are obviously many sides to you, beautiful skies being just one of them!

DeniseinVA said...

A fascinating post Cloudia, you have lived a life. I wish I could have been there to see you ride in formation. Great photos, great story and great quotes. Always fun to visit.

Jo said...

I love visiting your blog and looking at the photos! I have only been to Hawaii once, but I was there for six weeks, and I could not believe how beautiful it was.

I love the quotes on your blog too.

There is another woman on the blogs who also belongs to a motorcycle club in England, and they go on all kinds of biking trips. Interesting...!

Feisty Crone said...

Cloudia, I'm impressed! Motorcycles have always scared the beejeepers out of me! Go girl!

Barrie said...

Cloudia, I had no idea you were a motorcycle mama! Sounds like an interesting book premise. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

My biker buddies and I often called ourselves the Riders Beyond the Sunrise. But we didn't have any cool patches.

Junosmom said...

Ah, but there are lots you don't know about, Cloudia Readers. You must next read her book. It's on it's way to Travis right now.

The Grandpa said...

Nice post. I echo what Dave said.

Remind me to tell you about the time I almost wrecked the brand new bike of one of the busboys who worked for me at a country club. It involved a hair pin turn around a huge oak tree right next to the club house. The whole dining room staff was watching me and I'd gone around behind the building out of their sight. The incident scared the hell out of me, but after I made the turn and was coming at them running around the corner to see me I just smiled and waved as I roared by. I knew they could see what I'd had to maneuver around, and they had from that day on a new respect for their maitre d', and I had from that day on the knowledge that I never wanted to ride a motorcycle again. (Although sometimes I do think about it.)

Aloha, Cloudia.

♥ Braja said...

Oh I like the opening quote...so true. I know I'm doing that when I'm rude to someone...unforgivable.

magiceye said...

wow! good on you cloudia!

namaste and aloha!!

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Really enjoyed this post Cloudia. You stuck your necks out for your dreams! I'm full of glee reading this.

Cloudia said...

Bonjour Claude!

Gigi: GRRRRRR! ;->


Brother T: YOU are so cool I'd never mess with you.


Walking Man: You could deffinitely play "Duck" in the movie of my book!

Sandy: Thanks!

Dave King: Heh heh heh ;-)

Denise: aloha sweetie.

Jo: Why thank you!

Gran: You are courageous in a different way, Sistah!

Barrie: Actually, the bike culture plays a part in my novel "Aloha Where You Like Go?" as Junosmom alludes below.

Charles: Cool name! Thanks for visiting.

Junosmom: I really appreciate your kind support. Mahalo, my Sistah.

Grandpa: You've had so many different experiences! I enjoy picturing you on that runaway bike, LOL! ;-)

Braja: Thanks for saying that. You have so much "juice" that just by showing up you probably intimidate some people. Your power only grows when you "veil" it in compassion. I so appreciate your visits! aloha.

ALOHA dear friends- Mahalo (thanks)

Cloudia said...

Magic Eye: Namaste my friend!

Mr. Neckman: I love YOUR wonderous blog-world. Thanks for peeking in here! I bet your long beautiful neck helps you to see into all sorts of interesting places!

Barbara Martin said...

Cloudia, a woman who wears many hats.

Dina said...

I love learning this about you!
Is (was) that big black bike yours?? I had to settle for a Honda 50 in college and in Chicago, then a similar one in my early years in Israel. But it went fast enough for the highway and knew how to be a dirt bike too. I love riding.
Thanks for this story.

Mikey said...

Aloha, I remember you well. Devils Breed MC 25yrs (ret). Now 81 Baltimore,Md

Anonymous said...

Brings back memories,I was stationed in Hawaii from 82-85.Rode with an M/C.Wandering if you remember J.C. or animal from the day both from Devils Breed.

John said...

Brings back memories,I was stationed in Hawaii from 82-85.Rode with an M/C.Wandering if you remember J.C. or animal from the day both from Devils Breed.

Cloudia said...

Oh yeah! I remember Mikey, those guys, and a few others as well. THANKS for stopping by here, Bros!

Fireblossom said...

VERY cool!

TexWisGirl said...

sweet!