Saturday, May 2, 2009

Flying!

Aloha! Thanks for Visiting Today!
Click on photos to enlarge Fading Glories


To chase the glowing hours with flying feet.
Lord Byron




Mango Mob


“One way can be learned by starting to see the magic in everything. Sometimes it seems to be hiding but it is always there. The more we can see the magic in one thing, a tiny flower, a mango, someone we love, then the more we are able to see the magic in everything and in everyone. Where does the mango stop and the sky begin?”

Joshua Kadison





Froggy on Vacation

“Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.”

Jack Handy



Looking at the top photo above got me thinking about flying.
Running through Honolulu Airport is a street called: Aolele, "Cloud Jumping" Street. As a child I dreamt copiously of swimming among the clouds, my namesakes. Perhaps my first longing.


"I've looked at clouds from both sides now" sang Joni Mitchell. I used to take that song rather personally. Who doesn't have (at least) two sides?


Yes, we flightless bi-peds have longed to soar since forever. The gods, the bewailed ancestors, and all good things await us up there. Don't all of our pie-in-da-sky dreams promise so?


We routinely sip, and flip through magazines as we ignore the deathless dream of flight among the clouds playing out just beyond the funny, double window. But if you prefer to ponder by that un-shaded window, your cabin-mates might complain about their b-movie being "spoiled" by your transcendent reverie. "How dare you converse with eternal imponderables (you weirdo) when there's freeze-dried amusement right over here?!"


I treasure certain airplane memories; the setting sun that I chased all the way west from San Francisco, home to Honolulu; the entire flight suspended in a single golden moment of painterly glory.


The astonishing lace of lakes below proclaiming "Minnesota" truly a "Land O` Lakes." Just LOOK at it!


Baja California, cranked out between two seas. . . The infernal night industries of North Jersey, and the twinkly, inviting fairy lights of San Francisco's pleasure-land beckoning below.


The endless flight over ocean that "raised" a low cloud, a somehow change, that heralded my isles ahead. And then a peninsula and a cliff. "Molokai!" I realized, just before the captain announced it. . . Landing on the Big Island amid gray vast lava deserts of stone, and secretly enjoying the dismay of first time visitors who expected Disney Land (knowing they'd find the beauty after all). . .


The darkened airport "out lands" beyond the fields and fences, where my boyfriend and I would park and feel the planes taking off too close above - overwhelming as the emotions we explored. . .


I want to fly like Sky King and Penny, or Whirly Girl in her Sikorsky. To flutter ever higher like an effortless feather, or jump way up among my cousin clouds who wander lonely in their crowd.


I long to fly, though this earth is dear;
Though losing her beneath my feet
is a special and final fear.

A L O H A! Cloudia

21 comments:

the walking man said...

Have no fear, not for anything. Not for losing the earth beneath your feet nor for the flying you wish you could do without the borders of a fuselage...you already are flying and the earth that grounds you is a'ready far below you. The flight you're soaring is in the places of planets and stars, asteroids and galaxies.

Anonymous said...

Wow Cloudia -- I come home from a horrid work shift, read your last two posts, and wow, I'm human again, with wings into your clouds! I want da froggie...he's SO cute and beeyoutiful in his wooden attire. But gosh, we could all be drunk. During my son's first plane flight, he saw clouds at the window level and declared there were "Care Bears!" I like the ocean and wanna be a dolphin. So quite and calm with my head in the water. Aloha, DrumMajor P.S. I jumped out of perfectly good airplanes in college...14 skydiving jumps! Skydivers try to avoid clouds...don't know what's on the "other side."

Anonymous said...

Easy now Icarus, easy!

Wil Harrison.com

claude said...

The first photo enlarged is really very beautiful.
In Martinique Island we drink mango juice.

Akelamalu said...

The first photograph is truly beautiful.

I love flying and I love your description of it too. :)

Deborah Godin said...

I'm pretty much a white-knuckle flyer, and avoid it as much as possible, and don't enjoy it when I do, so I enjoyed my vicarious flight with you here!

Charles Gramlich said...

Flamingos are some of the weirdest birds on earth. Lana and I watched a special on their mating dance. Totally surreal.

Feisty Crone said...

I love this, Cloudia. Great photos and quotes, as always.

Lana Gramlich said...

*LOL @ Jack Handy.* Classic!
I love the frog statue. That's lovely!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Cloudia. I love the first photo.

Rufus said...

Walking Man: . . . and I look across to see you in your flight!

Drum Major: Wow, thanks for your reverie! Glad to call you back to your own flight.

Wil: ;-)

Cloudia said...

Ooops, RUFUS is me Mum......
The above comment was me, folks ;-)

Cloudia said...

Claude: We share the joie de vivre, sister!

Ake, Thanks, I so enjoy your posts as well...

Deb G: Icarus Vicarious, that's ME! ;-)

Charles, Flamingo Mango, Django!

Gran: an I love you ;-)

Lana: Delighting a gifted eyes like yours pleases me very much! Thanks.

Hi, Tricia!!

Aloha my fellow flyers!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your visit, Cloudia.

I dreamed, often, of stepping off the front porch and flying off into space. Whirling around town, dipping and diving and people waving at me as I passed them by. I can't remember when I dreamed it first but I dreamed it last many years ago. I wonder, sometimes, if certain dreams are for certain aged people and once you are in or out of that group then the dream no longer comes?

Travis Erwin said...

I'm a big fan of Jack Handy.

SandyCarlson said...

Your words are in the spirit of Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Beautiful post.

Cloudia said...

A. Lincoln: Now that you mention it, I do think certain dreams are associated with different periods of life....interesting.

Travis: 'Cause you have that great sense of humor we enjoy on your blog.

Thank YOU, Dear Sandy!!

Maria Verivaki said...

we all want to be able to fly, especially when we want to fly away from problems

one of my friends who had a large family and plenty of economic problems once mentioned he'd like to be able to fly to the moon...

The Grandpa said...

Aloha, Cloudia. I don't really understand people who want an aisle instead of a window seat. There is nothing below or above that does not somehow impress.

Barbara Martin said...

Everyone can fly, it takes practice though. A perfect meditation.

Cloudia said...

Med Kiwi, Grandpa & Barbara:
Thaks for visiting! I enjoyed these comments...