Friday, July 17, 2009

Getting Personal

Aloha!
C'mon in.
How are Y O U today?
click on photos to enlarge!
OOOO! Perspective at da jetty!

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
Marcus Aurelius



“Our loyalties must transcend our race, our tribe, our class, and our nation; and this means we must develop a world perspective.”
Martin Luther King Jr.

Limu (sea vegetables) washed up by da surf.




“My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep. The more I give thee, the more I have, For both are infinite.”
William Shakespeare


Patient Surf Pup Between Gnarly Rides

"There is no psychiatrist in the world
like a puppy licking your face."
Ben Williams

When I began exploring the blogosphere I wondered why complete strangers, leading average lives (like mine) would want to share the "minutia" of their existence on the web.


I have published a few things; played music (and sang backup) in a few bands. My aspiration as a blogger was to share "quality" content, not to do social networking. Guess I also wanted to send out my messages corked into floating bottles to the world out there:
"I exist. I am creating something of value. Hello?"


To be honest, I also wanted to promote my sweet little novel/self-help/Hawaii guidebook, cultural history book, "Aloha Where You Like Go?"


Many of you are beginning to smile a bit.


I see you there.
Because you know what happened next.



I discovered a realm of interesting people from all over the world, many of whom write beautifully, and/or are talented photographers as well.



I just wanted to express my viewpoint, my accrued life-wisdom, and share this Hawaii home that is so much more remarkable than "travelers" understand.
But
Your kind comments over time have become a "paycheck" that has nothing to do with money.



What I never expected was that I would make authentic friends.



Shannon, Pearl, Daryl, Deborah, Chris, Charles, Mark, Joe, Sandy, Barbara, Dina, Tricia, Thelma, Dave, Travis(s);
You know who you are



And please forgive me if you know that we are pals, and I've neglected to mention you here. I will wake at 3 am and slap my forehead when I think of YOU and all we've shared. I appreciate you very much!
One thing I have definitely learned on this path is that often it is EXACTLY the "merely" personal that has been the real, glimmering, web-based treasure that I have found.



Struggles with health, death, circumstances, dark depression and the blues, as well as the weddings of people I'll never meet. Your seasons, travels, musings, and of course dear pets. We've shared them all.
And it is those confessional posts (with their poignient apologies) that have made of you my real friends,
people I care about.



So, though you all post content of free-standing value (and I will endeavor to do the same) I pledge to you that I will try to follow your example. I pledge to be somewhat less of a "narrator" and occasionally just blurt out something deeply quixotically personal.
I actually feel a lot of warm aloha for your folks.
Oh, and I went to the laundromat and ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich today.
Aloha! Cloudia

31 comments:

claude said...

The weaather over here is certainlay not the same that yours.
Yesterday we got a very hot day, this night a thunder and this morning the temperature is lower.
I do not know if I can go in my pool this afternoon. It will be almost Hawaï here if the weather is always nice and hot. Pool, palmtrees, bananatrees...
ALOHA CLOUDIA !

magiceye said...

please continue the way you are! love it!

namaste /\
aloha!

Reader Wil said...

Great Cloudia! Hawaii has become a lot more familiar to me since I met you on the blog. What is that interesting vehicle in the first photo used for?

the walking man said...

Synchronicity of a sort...Yesterday I went to the grocery store and bought peanut butter and strawberry preserves but I was to tired to make a sandwich when I got home...today I will have my sandwich while the old lady does laundry.

Dave King said...

Your first photograph bowled me over. I have been trying to analyse what it is about it that attracts me so, but I have not succeeded. I have probably neglected the rest of your post as a result, so I shall return to study it again.

Dina said...

And for me, your last paragraph sent me into paroxysms of laughter. LOL LOL
But the post is very touching and true. Some of my best friendships are Web-based.
Waiting to hear your tellings.
Shabbat shalom.

Mark Kreider said...

I see that we enjoy similar things, the sun, sand, the sea... I write and record music too and had a top 40 song on Billboard back in the day (at #26). Now just for fun. I'd like to keep my eye on your blog.

Anne said...

:)

Deb said...

I would love to live the life of Aloha! Having been to Hawaii three times, I love the low country of Maui. Half way between the ocean and the mountains.
At least everyday, I can imagine I am there, thanks to you.

Eric S. said...

LOL, well I hope you enjoyed the PB&J in such and interesting setting.

Teresa said...

The first picture is amazing, Cloudia, and I love the quote about the puppy psychologists. Hope the PB didn't stick to the roof of your mouth :)

Anonymous said...

When I come to your page I always expect to enjoy the time I spend here; you have never disappointed.... but there are times one post will bring smiles, maybe tears and drop a rock in my throat. This post is one of those. You are a gem Cloudia. Aloha.

Akelamalu said...

Aw honey I bless the day I found your blog, or did you find me? I can't remember but it was a good day either way!
Pearl
xx

Deborah Godin said...

I'm so glad (hug!) to have made your blog acquaintence, too - you are a gem, Cloudia! (and you wrote a terrific book, I put the other stuff on hold and devoured it in two sittings, it's a great read and very uplifting!)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Best wishes dear bloggy friend!

Cloudia said...

Wow! Thanks folks!

The tricycle in the top shot is for riding in the ocean. Iy floats on those big, hollow wheels. Really!

So glad to see you all today.

Great new picture, CLAUDE.

Deborah: Thanks for that wonderful "blurb" about my book. I'm indescribably happy when I hear from someone like you who "gets' it!

icloudia said...

Blog life!

Anonymous said...

great pictures

Anonymous said...

Yo Cloudia - "Blog Blurts" are fine and dandy....they're the more entertaining and socially acceptable kind of blurts in life.
Yes, I'm "hooked" on your blog once or twice a day...you're doing dandy keeping lots of folks calm.
Combine the sandwich with the dog kisses, and you'll really be laid back! My Kansas hibiscus are blooming several blossoms daily! I pick one and put it on my indoor water fountain, kind of like an offering to the tranquility of Hawaii and the those gods to get me there....DrumMajor

Anonymous said...

I had to click the pic of the one girl to try and figure out what she was doing. I still haven't figured it out and it doesn't seem to matter now anyway, LOL.

I take no offense to not being mentioned specifically. I'm probably not all that authentic yet, and shit.

Wil Harrison.com

Kay said...

I love it when you get personal, Cloudia.

Jenn Jilks said...

Aloha, my cyberfriend. I am so glad we traded books and experiences.
We need to support each other and laud our work, our writing, our wisdom and our experiences.

Your book is most special. I often complain how the big publishers market their authors and get all the attention. Your book has much wisdom.

You are a beautiful person.

DeniseinVA said...

Ah Cloudia, who would have thought that any of us when we started out would be meeting so many wonderful people. I know I certainly didn't. It's been and is still a wonderful ride. When I can stop by here and read your wonderful posts and see those great photos you share, my ride gets even better. Have a great weekend my friend, aloha!

Carol said...

How eloquent you are. The comments that you leave me always have a personal feel to them that I really appreciate. I'm not surprised to read that you are getting gifts (from the blog) that exceed your expectations. So am I.

DeniseinVA said...

And I meant to add before I clicked on that darned enter key, that your book was a sweet read and I am glad I sent away for it. I keep meaning to tell you that but a lot of the times I get on here in the evenings when my brain is already going to sleep.

Anonymous said...

I wanna belong to.

The Grandpa said...

I love jelly. What kind was it, my friend. Aloha, Cloudia. We are all richer with you in our life.

Cloudia said...

Eight more favourite folks!

Man am I lucky. You are the best.

Seriously

Anonymous said...

do it

Barbara Martin said...

Peanut butter and jelly is healthy eating.

Bubblewench said...

Yeah! Laundry and PB&J! Who could ask for more. :)

Aloha!