Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Dream Recalled

Aloha Dreamers!
click on photos to unleash the magic
"We all grow up with the weight of history on us.
Our ancestors dwell in the attics of our brains as they do in the spiraling chains of knowledge hidden in every cell in our bodies."
Shirley Abbot


A Hawiian man and his friend.
Yes, Daryl,
they are both waiting patiently!




"In a false quarrel there is no true valour."
William Shakespeare
"To be really great in little things, to be truly noble and heroic in the insipid details of everyday life, is a virtue so rare as to be worthy of canonization."
Harriet Beecher Stowe

A True Story





When we got married
I was surprised at how "strange" and "different" I felt in my skin.
Even though we had been living together for years
the intention and the ceremony
brought something else into our home,
something wholly unexpected.




My husband felt it too;
We even marvelled and discussed this mysterious, unexpected,
and tangible feeling.




Who knew?





Around that time
I had a dream,
a dream of deepest morning.
I had entered a room
and many women were seated there.
I didn't see their faces
but felt their joy in being together.
They were casual and relaxed
but the atmosphere was very high.





I suddenly just knew that these ladies
were all my ancestresses,
my blood relations going back
and back.
I felt that my grandmother was there.
It was not time to meet them yet
but I was there for a reason.
So I never saw their faces.





Suddenly a manicured hand
(wearing a charm bracelet (!)
reached out
and
offered me:





A slice of honey cake!





My grandparents used to bring it.
I hadn't thought of Honey Cake in years!





I understood that they welcomed me,
as a married woman
and one of their line.





I even told my husband about the dream.
It was all so vivid!
I hadn't thought of
Honey Cake
in YEARS!





Later that morning
we were in the store where we've shopped for years.
For some reason
(smile)
I looked down
and there is was:
Honey Cake
Where I'd never seen it before!





Someday I know
that I'll revisit that room.
I'll sit with all the ladies
and we'll offer the plate
to the next generation
and the next.
There will be lots to talk about!
A L O H A! Cloudia

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMAZING dream! So this is a dandy sign that all of the women-spirits past love the woman you are, eh? When and if you get to see the faces..you'll see lots of commrades!

So what's the bundle of green produce? The tush ends of corn on the cob? A special pod?

DrumMajor

Anonymous said...

lovely reading your beautiful thoughts and the photos!

Anonymous said...

History turns present one day.

the walking man said...

Hmmm I always had a different interpretation of "honey cake."

I may have to rethink it now.

{;-p}

Anonymous said...

Sometimes dreams are wonderful aren't they? Aloha Cloudia.

Anonymous said...

I hope it is not too soon. But it was an experience you have not forgot and that might be why you had it.

I have the issue of "breast feeding" on my main blog today Pick a Peck of Pixels

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Dreams speak to me too. Thanks for sharing.

SandyCarlson said...

What a gorgeous post. I love that dream. It made me think of two things. When my daughter was new to this world, I dreamed I saw my grandmothers taking turns caring for her in the middle of the night. They were in her room, cuddling her and passing her among themselves in love.

Another thought: years and years ago when I taught Sunday school, we made manna with honey and pound cake. Your honey cake made me think bread from heaven, all that we need at any one moment.

I love my regular trips to Hawaii!

Eric S. said...

It sounds to me like you a truly blessed. It'll be nice to visit that room again... but not until the is right.

Teresa said...

Amazing dream, Cloudia. Thanks for sharing.

Deborah Godin said...

Oh Cloudia, this one made my eyes well up reading it!!

Nancy said...

Hi, I just dropped by via Robert's blog. I loved what you have written here. How amazing to connect with your ancestors! Thanks for sharing.

Charles Gramlich said...

A cool dream. I'll have to ask Lana if she felt much different after our wedding. I do remember a sense of euphoria but I don't remember a long term change in how I felt about our situation.

Cloudia said...

Thank you, friends.
I loved these comments - each one.

The produce? Bok choy?

;-]

Anonymous said...

Happy weekend!
I think it's corn on the cob?

DT ~ RDH said...

I love this story!!!! We go on...we stay connected. Beautiful! Aloha!

Cloudia said...

How sweet of you folks to come by today!

I think they are bunches of bok choy or something, not corn.

What fun to be a little disoriented
;-]

robert said...

Still hear the bell ring, at the moment I singed the wedding-certificate back nearly seven years ago.
Glad to read, that your dreams are able to feed you with nice memories and hopefully an as sweet future as well.
Please have a nice Sunday.

gabrielle said...

what a fragrance this memory holds.
honey cake and amber tea in a tall glass
refracting light
a double helix
encrypted with songs

they are old crows circling
our grandmothers
always near and
ready for a party.

thank you for this sacred post.

Kay said...

This is such a beautiful post, Cloudia. I'm trying to convince my son that he and his long time girlfriend should get married. I wish they would read this post.

Dina said...

Great!
And honey cake, just in time for Rosh Hashana in a few weeks. For a sweet new year.

Marguerite said...

Incredible dream and photos! Aloha!
I'd love to have the recipe for the Honey Cake!

Cloudia said...

Thank and warm aloha to you Robert,
and to you, my sisters