Thursday, August 27, 2009

Towers

A L O H A!
C I A O!
Eh! Click-a on the photos! Venezia

“A well-ordered life is like climbing a tower; the view halfway up is better than the view from the base, and it steadily becomes finer as the horizon expands.”
William Lyon Phelps





“I stood in Venice, on the Bridge of Sighs;

A palace and a prison on each hand.”
Lord Byron




“This was Venice, the flattering and suspect beauty - this city, half fairy tale and half tourist trap, in whose insalubrious air the arts once rankly and voluptuously blossomed, where composers have been inspired to lulling tones of somniferous eroticism."
Annonymous



Venice was built in a lagoon,

a special place of power,
where culture, history, energy lines,
and geographic paths meet fortuitously.




The Venetians have always loved & celebrated this place.
Her fairy constructions
are their lovely thoughts made visible.



Arriving in Venice, even today,
we see her famous tilting towers.
Their marshy bases love to sink uneven,
seeming to swirl
like slow motion wands
casting spells among the clouds.



What towers have you built
that have danced
and warped
with time?


Would you trade them for
a pyramid?


For a server farm?
A warehouse store?


Would you trade your dear whimsy
for a strait cinder block shelter?



I much prefer
your folly,
reaching
daring
sinking.





I like your tiles
and crenelations;
I love the colors
and texture
of your
thinking.




A L O H A! Cloudia










21 comments:

claude said...

Venezia is not too far from France, but I did never visit this beautiful city.

magiceye said...

classical beauty prevails

namaste /\
aloha!

the walking man said...

I don't know what the hell I am building but I deliver construction materials to it regularly. As long as I can build I know that all will be well for now. Once the builder no longer exists someone can say what it is.

SandyCarlson said...

I don't always know what the dream is, but I wouldn't trade the wondering for anything.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

It's on my dream list. I can dream.

Jenn Jilks said...

My dear friend. So glad you are there! Beautiful photos and words. Thank you for your well wishes.

Charles Gramlich said...

Our follies are more important than our successes.

Reader Wil said...

Now know for sure that I must visit Venice!!I

Daryl said...

I loved Venice ... except for the food but that's not what your post is about ... towers ... wondering, dreaming .. Aloha!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Venice is my favourite place in the whole world, Cloudia - I havebeen many times and I never tire of it. Everywhere you turn there is a perfect photograph.

Deborah Godin said...

Beauty, history, and so much more. I think of Venice with a pang each time I hear about sea-level rise.

Sandee said...

Beautiful honey, absolutely beautiful.

Have a terrific day. Big hug. :)

Akelamalu said...

I haven't been to Venice - YET. :)

DeniseinVA said...

A wonderful take on that beautiful city, one I have yet to visit but have heard so much about. I'm going to take that gondola ride yet :) Well, I can dream :))

Cloudia said...

Claude
Magic eye
Walking Man
Sandy
Noe
Jen
Charles
Wil
Daryl
Weaver
Deb
Sandy
Ake
& Denise


Love you guys! What a jolly crop of comments in my garden today; thanks!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to go to Venice and Florence and Rome! Hopefully in 2011. At least that's the plan.

I love that semi-circle pier with the lighthouse on the end of it. Gorgeous photos, Cloudia.

robert said...

Famous for its carneval, one is allowed to wear a mask, only to be able to drop ones own mask.
Escaping the prison, entering the palace. For me, this city has this taste, allowing to arrive, to escape and to sigh afterwards of 'freedom' enjoyed.

Rachel said...

Aloha!
Thank you for your kinds words on my blog. It's always such a pleasant surprise to have a post from someone new :)
What a wonderful blog you have. Your pictures, coupled with your words make me so thankful I stopped by! I can tell you love quotes as well. They are like a bible to me :)
My husband and I got married in Hawaii and it is my happy place. Such good energy. We cannot wait to go back and take our girls.

Teresa said...

Thanks for taking us on a European tour today. I loved the pictures.

Cloudia said...

Thank you, friends!

Marguerite said...

Merci for the lovely tour of Venice. Would love to go there someday, but after I go to Hawaii. Aloha Gal Pal!