Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Let's Sneak Away

Aloha, Friend!

Welcome to Tuesday in Waikiki


click on photos to enlarge
A Rainbow A Day, Keeps Depression Away



"Every great advance in natural knowledge
has involved the absolute rejection of authority".
Thomas H. Huxley




Pomp and Circumstance Eugene Savage, 1938





"Never lose sight of this important truth,
that no one can be truly great until he has gained a knowledge of himself,
a knowledge which can only be acquired by occasional retirement."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann



Island Feast Eugene Savage, 1938


"There are high spots in all of our lives and most of them have come about through encouragement from someone else. I don't care how great, how famous or successful a man or woman may be, each hungers for applause."
George Matthew Adams


Many of us believe that 'doing the right thing' is about knowing and obeying 'the rules' so that God, or the Bogey-man, can't play 'gotcha' with us - even if we transgress a rule in good faith, ignorance, or compassion.


Others consider 'intention' to be the golden rule - though deluded people always arrange to believe that they have only the best intentions (for they know best).


What I know is this:
If you do good to yourself and others in gentleness,
you will end up a very different person than one who followed every rule perfectly, yet reduced compassion to a slogan.


Remember to take time for yourself in this season of hurry!



A L O H A, Cloudia




24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll try to be kind to myself... I am coming down with a cold. Hubby, too.

BLOGitse said...

I have always time for myself, lucky me!
It doesn't have to be this season to remember family and friends - that season should be every day!
Greetings from sunny Cairo! :)

Dina said...

Thanks for your anti-depression rainbows. I see them so rarely around Jerusalem, so doubly glad to have yours.
Fortunately this is not "the season of hurry" in Israel, no Thanksgiving, no Christmas (for most of us). But your advice is good.

SandyCarlson said...

You are so right. It's about the state of our hearts, I think.

Reader Wil said...

I like this quotation of yours:
What I know is this:
"If you do good to yourself and others in gentleness,
you will end up a very different person than one who followed every rule perfectly, yet reduced compassion to a slogan."

magiceye said...

wonderful post - as usual!

namaste /\
aloha!!

the walking man said...

What season of hurry? If I hurry I will miss something lovely so if the world wants, it can rush on by without me. I'll catch up later.

Anonymous said...

A rainbow a day keeps depression away. Love it!!!

Haddock said...

What a lovely rainbow.

Charles Gramlich said...

Huxley's comment is so true and yet so few understand it or accept it.

Teresa said...

Thanks for sharing the rainbow of compassion and gentleness. It's a great start to my day!

wenn said...

of course be good to oneself before others..

Daryl said...

Lovely rainbows, I am so jealous, they still elude me

Deborah Godin said...

Those are wonderful artworks! Enjoyed all of this, and good advice to slow down this season.

Hilary said...

You're a wise one, indeed. :)

Akelamalu said...

What I know is this:
If you do good to yourself and others in gentleness,
you will end up a very different person than one who followed every rule perfectly, yet reduced compassion to a slogan.


I love that Cloudia. x

David Cranmer said...

Darn, that's one heck of a rainbow pic!

Kavita Saharia said...

Aloha,friend.I loved the art work you showed here...the quotes are gems like always.Take care Cloudia.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Wise words, as always, Cloudia.

Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

amen to that, sweetest soul :)

Fireblossom said...

Rools make me twitchy.

Cloudia said...

What a wonderful crop of commentators-
You are just my sort - JOY!

Jo said...

Oh, Cloudia, I love it...! Sometimes we feel selfish when we do things for ourselves, but if we don't rejuvenate ourselves, we have nothing for anyone else.

Great post!

Cheers,
Jo

Cloudia said...

You TELL it, Jo!