Friday, January 8, 2010

Climbing Invisible Mountains

ALOHA
Friend!

Welcome to Friday
in
Waikiki


click on the photos!
See the lighthouse?

"Why do you stay in prison
when the door is so wide open?
Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking.
Live in silence."
Jalal al-Din Muhammad Rumi




Japanese visitors are always stylishly dressed.
Americans, Europeans et al merely cover our nakedness
with shorts and t-shirts.



"The term clinical depression finds its way into too many conversations these days.
One has a sense that a catastrophe has occurred in the psychic landscape."
Leonard Cohen



Partying Gecko




"Noble deeds and hot baths
are the best cures for depression."
Dodie Smith




><>



A person suffering depression said:

"It's like climbing mountains,
peak after impossible peak,
and never getting anywhere in this life.
It's like climbing invisible mountains."

Immediately I knew what they meant.
For I have spent most of my life
negotiating
those same lonely peaks.

Drinking in
the Waikiki sun,
and the sheer joy
of not freezing,
I wonder:

Does merely living day to day
in relative peace
constitute success
in a life such as mine
has been?

Socrates taught us that:
"There is nothing stable in human affairs;
therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity,
or undue depression in adversity."


What do YOU think?




"Nobody realizes
that some people expend
tremendous energy
merely to be
normal."
Camus

ALOHA, Cloudia

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for courageously sharing this.

cj

Anonymous said...

I agree with Leonard Cohen. And Anonymous.

Of course 'living day to day in relative peace' constitutes a success. Keep climbing because the climb itself is living.

Cloudia said...

Dear Cinnamon,
how could you know that i was thinking of you? Nice to see you here. Thanks for the lovely thoughts!

Charles Gramlich said...

I generally find an even keel to be desirable, although at times it's good to have experienced the heights and the depths. so they can inform your writing.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I agree with cj

Lana Gramlich said...

I think Leonard Cohen's closest to the truth on this one. We're all slaves now, it's just that most people don't see it or don't want to.

Rosaria Williams said...

It's the human condition: big dreams, little time and resources to achieve= disappointment, depression, lack of motivation.

The trouble is that we are all on the same threadmill, and don't see any way to get off and let things go without us.

Unknown said...

Hello
My heart is happy
I want to go one day

Raph G. Neckmann said...

What many wise words! Thank you Cloudia!

I guess I also agree with Charles Gramlich - though when sticking one's neck out it's easier to walk in the elated heights, because it's such a long way down to the depths :)

And the 'sheer joy of not freezing' is worthy of much happiness! And living day to day in relative peace is success - how many 'successful' people can do this?

SandyCarlson said...

To this I say, "Yes!" Does merely living day to day
in relative peace
constitute success
in a life such as mine
has been?

Feisty Crone said...

I'm enjoying peace in my life, finally. Because I have allowed myself to. Wise and wonderful post, dear Cloudia.

Marguerite said...

Lovely, thoughtful post, cher! Love the last quote! I always try to look at the glass as half full and to have fun each day. This seems to relax me. Cheers, Galpal! Aloha!

Anonymous said...

Yes Cloudia, your hopeful consistency with some daily peace is a grand accomplishment! Enjoy the warmth of that calm, slow success. That framework makes up for all the days that were hectic or in turmoil.
Aloha, from 4 degrees, DrumMajor

Kay said...

My feeling has always been that there is a kind of cosmic psychic balance in life. When something goes wrong, I need to wait for the good to come and balance it. When things are going too well, I wait for the balance again which is not always a good feeling.

the walking man said...

There is value to depression only the depressed can not see its worth until they have let go of it.

Dina said...

Party on, gecko!

As for you and me, Cloudia, I think we have finally won the peace and simple life we crave. But I think of it more as a blessing than success.

Junosmom said...

I guess your question, which I also wrestle with, is it enough to just exist in peace? Maybe if everyone did that, the world would find peace. I have, btw, picked up bits and pieces of the work you do/have done. It seems to me you don't just live an isolated life in paradise. Perhaps you are feeling guilty about those of us that must freeze our tookuses off right now??? LOL

Anonymous said...

It took the midday sun to see the many layers of the mountain in front, telling me "towards the light, towards the light" - climbling high, thank you for this.
Please have a nice Sunday.

Teresa said...

This post was quite helpful to me. Thank you for sharing.

Louise said...

Thank you, Cloudia, for this enlightened post - it was very helpful to me.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Wondeful!
<><