Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Family Circus

ALOHA

it's
Wednesday in Waikiki!


click on the photos-on parade
"Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses."




"Be not ashamed of mistakes, and thus make them crimes."




"It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop."
This, and quotes above it: Confucious





"You don't choose your family.
They are God's gift to you, as you are to them."
Desmond Tutu



> ><> ><>

When I first moved to Hawaii, it was disconcerting when folks asked about my family.
Family, OHANA, is a most important part of our local culture, growing out of the Hawaiian
host culture, and the other cultures (Asian, Pacific Islander, Madeira Portuguese) that make up the fabric of our island society.

Western culture is much more individualistic, the mountain man, explorer, or cowboy, heads out to test himself against the frontier. Plus, I was always the odd man out in my family. My brother, a few years ago, told me that he realized that it was kinda the 3 of them vs me; it was the only family solidarity they knew!

So when local people asked me about my family, I felt confused and disregarded.
"I'm not a part of a family, I'm ME! Not the screw-up my parents abhorred, but a good person!"


My brother, one the other hand, lived very close my parents (after they followed their grandchildren to Hawaii) and they practically raised his 2 children, while backing him in the acquisition of credit and mortgages, and all the help represented by being part of a family.



Any planned attempts at family healing was "about me" and always devolved into hurtful re-plays of my childhood: me VS the "normal" people. If only I could confess whatever evil or shortcoming they hate!


But as in childhood, healthy self-preservation kicked in
and I withdrew or rebelled as always.
Yes, my parents gave me the tools, and role models, to work well with others! Looking back from today, I see how the chip on my shoulder (Don't you dare treat me as "less than!") was the defining feature of my interactions with others and society at large. No wonder I took up ministering to the untouchables and outcasts!
Only service turned down the self-loathing.
There. I said it.




I was Odysseus, out on my own for years.
Then my husband and I were in the boat together.
He taught me to trust another person; and
that I am lovable and good.



When my parents decided to move to Oahu (from the neighbor island) it was to find an easy maintenance apartment, and be close to health care and family (me and hubby!).



They also needed our good credit to buy that apartment.
We have lived modestly so as to always have freedom and options.
Now the folks who handicapped me emotionally (stop snivelling!) needed something rather major from us. I thought of the scorpion asking passage across the pond from the frog. But I also thought of the longed-for opportunity to get close to my parents, and for them to see me as a successful, loving, adult.



Old habits die hard.
My happiness and solicitousness seemed to annoy them as "phony" or maybe they felt. . . guilty about how they had always treated me?



I took every opportunity to show affection to them, especially my Dad who I now realize shaped my whole (messed up) outlook on life. Thing is, he didn't live by the rules he taught by example. My nemesis, who ALWAYS found much to criticize about anything I did, rather enjoyed life and was easy on himself. He was even charming to people outside the family! Any problems were someone else's fault (often mine) and were met with anger.
(I never sang for - or pleased my father. Boo Hoo)


My husband and friends noticed what I was up against.


When the newness wore off their son-in-law due to proximity, they started finding fault with him too (the guy who was helping them - "What an idiot, treating HER well!"). Mom told me I "spoil" him with affection. That made me feel like my marriage is on a good track; even if we don't carp and fight like my parents always did).


Dad called business that pertained to his apartment (which was in our names) and passed himself off as my husband, often starting fights or acting rude in the process!! On an Island, your name is your bond. The scorpion was stinging my husband (some thanks) and now treating him as rudely as they always had me.


Dad died last May, and I've realized a lot.
I'm happy that he felt my love, that I was able to help him instead of "getting even;" and in his defense, he wanted me to have a place to live someday, even if it will be after they are done with it - and he was protecting himself from medical impoverishment (PRESCIENT!).


"Your brother has a house;
I want you to have somewhere to live when you get older.
I helped him plenty."


My brothers expectations and hurt feelings about "his inheritance" bubbled over when Dad was dying. Bro and Mom trapped hubby and I into a wrenching argument over Dad's sick bed about putting my brother's name on the deed. Not the mortgage - just the deed. Did I mention that he has emigrated to Canada, now that my parents don't own a huge home he can live in?

"If you need ANY help with Mom & Dad:
Forget it!" He shouted at me over the phone.
As if his duty to be a human was contingent on Dad's (or my) acting in Bro's interests.
What a guy. No wonder Mom adores him and listens to his problems.
A shame she can't bail him out with checks like she always has.




Brother travelled here from Canada a couple of times as Dad lay dying. I'm glad he did, but I'm so shell-shocked by his anger, that I'm basically nervous whenever I think of him.



"Why is my Dad so angry?" my (adult) niece and nephew (his kids) asked me after witnessing a a scene or two of the drama.



So I got to show Dad my love.
Now I'm responsible for Mom's well-being too.
The daughter often is, and I've also noticed that sometimes the Black Sheep returns surprisingly, like the prodigal, and ushers the parents out of this life with devotion and love.
(My brother never read that part of the Bible I guess.)


I miss Dad,
and I'm glad to finally see through the illusions we shared.
I'm also grateful that he wanted to provide for his wayward daughter too. (Someday - but NICE!).



So when folks ask about my family, I understand that they are trying to get to know me, not bring up a painful reaction.



Funny how life turns around.
When I observe good parenting (and many of YOU blog friends who come here are exemplary parents!) it still makes me a little sad for the things that I was hungry for as a kid. But the grand anger has dissipated in the morning light of insight.


As Chinese New Year season ripens upon us, I realize how natural it is for us to worship our ancestors and feel their affection and help. I love my Dad for the tough upbringing that made me strong and independent.
The time for us to butt heads is long passed.
I like to feel that he is freed from his earthly illusions, and that I have been liberated by insight from the world he showed me.


Our Earth story is over now.


I send him my love.
And I miss him.
Strangely more than either Mom or Brother seem to.
It was he and I that had soul-ish business together, I think.

Someday hubby and I will live in the apartment that he provided
with our help.


Thanks Dad.


You can read a post about my Dad that became a guest column in the Honolulu Star Bulletin HERE.


ALOHA! cloudia


45 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Cloudia -- Amazing to lay down all of your thoughts. It's not easy. Let your blog buddies and hubby help you be the kid you could have been then, but couldn't be then, but can be now, now that you're free.
In life, and in dying, people don't really change from the ways they functioned for so many years. And the onlookers, like your brother, may show their real selves even more and lash out, so he didn't really change either from so many years ago.
Try to have your Mom maintain some physical and emotional responsibility for herself. She may not "allow" you, and so don't feel guilty for her choices.
We love it that you've shared your newer, real Hawaii self with all of us, from your book to your blog. Your bigger, extended family knows, accepts, and loves all of you!
Aloha, DrumMajor

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, it helps to be secluded from people who hurt you. I've been there, believe it or not.

My memoirs tend to be all happy and joyful, but behind it all, there's a lot of anger about the verbal, physical, and emotional abuse. I could go on and on.

But I am not perfect, either. Perhaps my 2 adult children could paint an ugly portrait of their mother, who knows. I have tried to be a good parent, but maybe I wasn't.

All we can do is to just live and let live. Forgive those who have hurt you, as you hope they forgive you!

the walking man said...

I have to disagree with Confucius on the point about families. DNA does not a family make that is simply a chemical bond and the only thing necessary about that bond is knowing medical history of genetics that may be passed to successive generations.

That you are finally at peace with your father is a good thing because turmoil in any form is a negative.

But my family are them with whom I share the one common factor, honest unconditional love.

We are twins so you are of my family, so tell me where is the DNA? I never went to Philly until the mid 70's and my old man was a Pacific sailor so i doubt he left anyone behind in Philadelphia.

Come to peace when it is a two way peace any other way is not peace but occupation.

Aloha sistah.

Reader Wil said...

Dear Cloudia, I feel for you as if you are my family. It's a sad story and for children, who always need love and appreciation from their parents, it is frustrating. You are a loving and caring person. Great that your dad realised it. I like this quote:
"Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses." Amen.

wenn said...

i understand yr feelings. anyway, just be happy.

BLOGitse said...

I understand you, I've been a Black Sheep too!
And I had a connection with my dad...

Thanks for sharing your story!

http://BLOGitse.blogspot.com

Fireblossom said...

hey Blackie. baaa baaaa. Me too.

Please don't admonish yourself to stop "whining." You're not. You have the right to name what is. And what was. Your pain is real and felt with reason. Yes, the Black Sheep is often the one to come back, because, oftentimes, the Black Sheep is the kindest, with the deepest soul. Outlaws and killers, or lovers and healers, that what we are. It's clear which road you've chosen, my dear friend.

When we've been hurt, we're allowed to say "ouch!" When we've been denied something, we will naturally hunger for it. I'm telling you, Cloudia, many times I've felt the desire to follow some Mom out of the grocery store and insinuate myself into her world. But I go home, and I love those near me, instead. I learned compassion from the compassionless, as someone once said.

Much love,

Shay

Couture Carrie said...

Lovely post, darling!
Those clouds are so gorgeous!

xoxox,
CC

Unknown said...

I feel love and peace.

foongpc said...

What is in the past is in the past. Live in the moment and be happy always yes? Anyway, great post! : )

Charles Gramlich said...

I can feel the heart, and the hurt in this one. But also the healing. It's amazing how families can tear at each other and so often it makes no rational sense at all. I was very lucky in that my family was pretty close knit and never had this kind of issue, although I definitely was and am a bit of an odd man out in many ways

Sumandebray said...

even the darkest sky has a silver lining ....
It was a nice post .... we really cannot and should not compare one person with another.
We pray the he shall now rest in eternal peace

Cloudia said...

Last night I wondered if it was too late to withdraw this post.

But like many of my posts, this one held together better when I read it back today. Still embarrassing, but at least it reads fairly well.

I looked at the comments with trepidation. But should have known better. The relationships and caring that we of the blogosphere share is a very real and powerful thing.

Your concern, your honesty, your words really touched me.

I'm trying not to get tears on my keyboard :)


"In life, and in dying, people don't really change from the ways they functioned for so many years. And the onlookers, like your brother, may show their real selves even more and lash out, so he didn't really change either from so many years ago.
Try to have your Mom maintain some physical and emotional responsibility for herself. She may not "allow" you, and so don't feel guilty for her choices." Drum Major is a nurse and it shows, eh?

Cloudia said...

"Sometimes, it helps to be secluded from people who hurt you. I've been there, believe it or not.

My memoirs tend to be all happy and joyful, but behind it all, there's a lot of anger about the verbal, physical, and emotional abuse. I could go on and on."
No, I didn't know, GiGi. Thanks for your bravery and honesty - all the more because we are neighbors in "real space" here on Oahu. Aloha to you more than ever.

Cloudia said...

"Come to peace when it is a two way peace any other way is not peace but occupation."
Walking Man, what can I say? You blow my mind! I'm thinking of getting this as a tattoo.
big mahalos

Cloudia said...

"I feel for you as if you are my family. It's a sad story and for children, who always need love and appreciation from their parents, it is frustrating. You are a loving and caring person. Great that your dad realized it. "
This from a woman who spent part of her childhood interned by war.
Thank you, Wil. Love.

Cloudia said...

"When we've been hurt, we're allowed to say "ouch!" When we've been denied something, we will naturally hunger for it. I'm telling you, Cloudia, many times I've felt the desire to follow some Mom out of the grocery store and insinuate myself into her world. But I go home, and I love those near me, instead. I learned compassion from the compassionless, as someone once said."
Fireblossom. A true friend.

Cloudia said...

And that is not to undercut you others. Really. You are SO appreciated - especially today, but always. Your comments were a gift to me also.
Foong, Carrie, Sumandabray, Charles, Wenn, Blogitse

THANK YOU!

I really feel better now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friko said...

Cloudia - a story like many others. When it comes to parenting, few get it right.
Do you know the poem by the well-known English poet, Philip Larkin? "They fuck you up, your Mum and Dad". The title may be rude but the poem isn't.

I have learned to say about my parents, who are both now dead, "They did what they could, but they didn't know any better". Sometimes the anger comes back up but, on the whole, I accept that they also did good.

We are so much better able to think about relationships than they were, we can afford to be honest too. Resentment is a corrosive feeling; most of the time I forget them now.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth Bradley said...

Cloudia, I know how you feel when you say you considered deleting this post. When I put up the post about my grandson Ethan I felt the same way. When a topic is so close to the heart it's difficult to put it out there for all to see.

My mother preferred my older brother and younger sister and she didn't make any bones about that preference either. I never did please her, except she loved two of my kids with an amazing passion, (she ignored the other 3, no big shock there.) So, in the end I guess I pleased her in a round about way. I came to understand that I am largely who I am because of my difficult mother, and I love her for who she was, not who I wish she could have been. I mother in a totally different fashion, bearing little or no resemblance to her. Thank God!

You were brave to write this post, and you've touched me deeply with your words. Bravo for your courage and HUGE heart.

JTG (Misalyn) said...

Hi Cloudia. Thanks for sharing this post. Am Glad that you didn't withdraw this post.

As much as I wanted to read all of it, my eyes got misty and after few minutes I can't hold on anymore...I cried. This post of yours reminded me of my father and my childhood. Can't help but cry.

I love these quotes:
"Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses."

"Be not ashamed of mistakes, and thus make them crimes."

Anonymous said...

(((HUGS)))

Oh hon, I'm sorry for the way you were brought up. It saddens me. You are such a wonderful person (from what I can tell) and your posts bring smiles to me face.

Cloudia said...

Thank you, Friko, Misalyn, Elizabeth,YaYa - you are TRUE friends and I appreciate you very much!

Teresa said...

Wow, Cloudia. This post was very helpful and healing to me. Words can't express. I'm glad you didn't withdraw it.

Feisty Crone said...

Thanks for sharing your soul with us, Cloudia. And your ability to love, despite anything, is your gift.

p.s. your brother reminds me of a spoiled cousin of mine. His mother, my aunt, gave him everything, bailed him out of countless problems he created, and you know how he repaid her slavish devotion? He vanished, and his mother died with her daughter by her side.

Families.

Hugs to you and your wonderful husband.

Anonymous said...

Dear Cloudia,
hope everything is fine. Would like to thank you very much for this entry of yours. Before I bow in respect of your writing...with a father gone for three decades, a grandfather, being a millionair, while I had to wear a pair of shoes found on the street, it was indeed of much help to read. The first quote made me nearly speachless...now bowing, wishing you all a nice Thursday.

Cloudia said...

You have left me speechless, dears!

Lana Gramlich said...

Sounds like you made your peace, which is a good thing. Unfortunately by the time my mom passed, I just didn't care anymore. I didn't love, I didn't hate, I just didn't care. I handled all of the arrangements (as expected,) but I didn't really shed many tears.

Country Girl said...

Well now, that was a telling tale. I am surprised and don't even know how to respond. I have a son who sounds a little like your brother (dependent and immature).

G-Man said...

What a loving, caring, compassionate, talented, and forgiving human being you are Cloudia....
You have a place in Heaven already My Dear...Mahalo!

Aloha...

Cloudia said...

Lana, CG, G-Man:
Very appreciated!

magiceye said...

bravo!

namaste /\
aloha!

claude said...

Colotrs of the sky very beautiful.
Glad to know your Dad and your Mom.
ALOHA Cloudia !

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I understand about families C.
I have a totally dysfunctional one at it's best.
<><

Cloudia said...

Thank you, dears!

Glennis said...

Wow, Cloudia. - this is an amazing story.

Your upbringing has given you strength and the ability to endure. It's unfortunate you had to experience the pain and heartache.

Your ability to forgive and love is commendable.

Carver said...

Honest and clearly heart felt post about family. I always like your photographs and stories from Hawaii. This post where you turned to your family of origin within the context of why questions about your family by people from a culture where that's so important would bother you was poignant and clear. Well done.

DeniseinVA said...

Cloudia, I admire you so very much my friend, knowing what you have had to deal with in your life, you have such strength. But out of adversity comes strength so they say, and the wonderful person you are shines through. I'm glad you didn't withdraw this post, you are one of a kind and should be proud of it.

RONW said...

horrible situation. However, you're not alone in that regards by any means.

Dina said...

Thanks for writing this down, dear Cloudia, and for leaving it up.

I still have a long way to go in this direction, even though both parents are long gone.
I'll go read your post again.

Anonymous said...

Your hanai ohana loves you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

Bubblewench said...

Wow. Sorry it took me so long to catch up over here.

What an amazing post. Beautifully written. I'm crying here because that could be written about me and my family.

I purposely keep a distance between us that sadly will probably never be bridged in this life.

Thank you for sharing. I really needed to read this. You were right.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I agree but I contemplate the collection should have more info then it has.