Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tucked Away

Aloha, Friend!

It's

Tuesday

here in

W A I K I K I



Do click on today's photos!
On a small island, strange combinations of OLD/NEW and BIG/Small
are commonplace. Here we see a Waikiki bungalow amidst high-rises
that have grown up around it.


"There's only one corner of the universe

you can be certain of improving,

and that's your own self."

Aldous Huxley


When a formerly rural area becomes "modernized" compromises must be made.
I love Windward Mall, in Oahu's Kaneohe Town, across the Ko`olau mountains from Waikiki/Honolulu (here on the Kona side of the island).

There is still a small-town feel to Kaneohe,
and the modest mall is in sharp contrast to Ala Moana Shopping Center
("Hawaii's Center") a 10 minute walk from my boat/home.
Ala Moana is a world bazaar
with people from all over Hawaii and the world rubbing shoulders.

In the photo above you can see
a little-known graveyard that is hidden away in the parking lot of Windward Mall
up against the ramp to the upper-parking! That is where I got these pictures from.

Mostly, the peaceful anachronism is hidden behind a big wooden fence.
If you didn't know it was there, you'd never notice it.
It seems to be well protected and well cared for by the mall authorities.




"The art of progress is to preserve order

amid change

and to preserve change amid order."

Alfred North Whitehead



These wild fowl, who live there, seem sleek and healthy!



"In times of change, learners inherit the Earth,

while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped

to deal with a world that no longer exists."

Eric Hoffer


Dear Sister Rufina was probably Portugese from the Azores, or perhaps Filipina.
She only had 23 years.
Thank you for building our Hawaii of today!


"It is not flesh and blood

but the heart

which makes us fathers and sons."

Johann Schiller


Margaret was born in 1900 and lived until 1943.
What amazing changes she must have seen!
Her descendants may shop at the mall.

Your Aloha and hard work are appreciated!

(Do click on this photo to see the porcelain image;
These were quite popular back in the day
and are seen an many of our
older graveyards.)



"Family faces are magic mirrors.

Looking at people who belong to us,

we see the past, present, and future."

Gail Lumet Buckley


><>

ALOHA, cloudia


23 comments:

the walking man said...

at times I look at the past and everything I've learned and realize how ill equipped I am for this present day. Too often we disregard now the ancestors graves.

Lisa said...

I love the last quote, and how so true it is. Thank you for your post.

Since the passing of my husband, I am more aware of changes and anything new. You know like, this only happens after he's gone, this he didn't get to see, how this place was so different than the last time we were here. Stuff like that.

Fireblossom said...

I like the little bungalow hiding amid the high rises."You'll never find me here!" she crows. ;-)

Unknown said...

Hello

How are you?

Rosaria Williams said...

Love that last quote, especially! You live in a house boat? Do tell!

Anonymous said...

God said The planet is yours from now-onwards. We said - The land is mine from now-onwards.

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Oh all in one old new big & small. Nice location. Ah Ala Moana..not sure there is a hotel there with 1000 over rooms. Have stayed in one hotel with the same name. tQ

Charles Gramlich said...

Wild chickens. Wow. Very interesting pics of the cemetary.

wenn said...

like the quotes by Gail Lumet Buckley

Daryl said...

Fascinating ...

BLOGitse said...

Aloha from Cairo!

BLOGitse

Anonymous said...

CC, you are to commended for traveling all the way to Windward Mall to take a few photos for your blog. You won't see me doing that. I think I've been to that mall just once in my life -- for a booksigning of my 1st memoir!

Laziness keeps me from exploring this island.

Junosmom said...

Ah, you have chickens too!

Travis Erwin said...

I am curious as to who is buried there.

Me said...

Stopping by here is like going on a vacation.

Wonderful.

:)

Trotter said...

Hi Cloudia! Sorry for another long absence, but after a busy start of the year I decided to make a break during the Carnival week, anticipating new hard weeks ahead!!

Rufina Ariosa could hardly be Portuguese; from Azores, Madeira or the continent... ;)
great post!!

Meanwhile, Blogtrotter 2 is in Haiti. Hope you enjoy and have a great week!!

Cloudia said...

Nice to see you; thanks!

Carol said...

Aloha, we haven't had any houseboat news lately. I'm still proud of you for prowling your prowler. Everybody wants you on their team!

magiceye said...

wonderful!

namaste /\
aloha!

claude said...

What a beautiful blue sky you have in Waikiki ! Here today it's rain in a very sad sky. You live on a boat,Cloudia ?
Nice tributes for Sister Rufinia and Margaret.
ALOHA, Cloudia !

SandyCarlson said...

I enjoyed all of this. I so admire the way the mall operators have preserved and protected this burial site. It is a lovely thing.

Cloudia said...

Yes, we still live on the water!

Thanks for coming, dears

Snaggle Tooth said...

Great bungalow shot-
The Gail Lumet Buckley quote is what comes to my mind every time I see my grandkids- they are new yet old faces!
I wonder if folks chase the chickens n try to eat them...