Friday, March 12, 2010

Me in the Mirror?

It's
Aloha Friday
in
Waikiki

Click on photos to widen your eyes
We sail on the tide.

"The only joy in life
is to begin."
Cesare Pavese




"Our lives teach us who we are."
Salman Rushdie



"Heirlooms we don't have in our family.
But stories we've got."
Rose Chernin



><>


What happens
when a vampire bites you?
That's right:
you become a vampire too.



And when zombies attack
they turn you
into one of them.



Back in the day
when country rubes
were sold the Brooklyn Bridge
(dreaming of the tolls they'd collect)
the only way
to make it pay
was to sell it to some
newer rube.




Yes,
we oft become
what conquers us;
They say that
we come to
resemble our enemy.




So what rules are you enforcing,
that were unhappily forced
on you?




And what did you hate
that now you perpetuate?




What is it you swallowed whole
that now you wish
you never ate?



Be happy friend
and celebrate,
the spell is broken:
A mere disguise
and not your
fate.
ALOHA, cloudia

22 comments:

Lisa said...

Never say never.

Great quotes. Aloha from Kuala Lumpur:)

Bill S. said...

Great pictures and quotes. I too believe that sometimes we become what we hate - if we let it consume us.

Anonymous said...

What a challenging entry of yours, demanding to be learned by heart or written in blood. A deep bow and a wonderful Friday for you.

Christine Gram said...

So true. I like to send out random bits of kindness in hopes that THAT is what catches on and perpetuates.

Jenn Jilks said...

This is so true, Cloudia. You become what you are bitten by! If you allow yourself to be surrounded by hate, you become someone who hates.

I made choices, living here in cottage country, to be away from the competition, the angst.
Excellent post!

Marguerite said...

Great post and quotes! Love, on the other hand, attracts love! Have a wonderful weekend, cher! Aloha!

Monkey Man said...

Wonderful photos - Love the happiness in the face of that sweet little girl. This was an uplifting post just when I needed it. Thanks.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I can say I am happy!
<><

Akelamalu said...

The little girl on the beach looks so sweet!

Mehmet Osman Çağlar said...

Your blog always give me pozitive
thoughts and energy..why?

Have a very good weekend my friend!

See you..

Unknown said...

Food for thought, Cloudia. I do wish that some of what bit me in the past didn't return over and over again to haunt me, Love the Salmon Rushdie quote. I seem to be learning a lot lately about who I am.

ruma said...

Thank you for showing wonderful scenery.

Happy weekend.

From the Far East.
Best regards.
ruma

PhilipH said...

Louis Armstrong: What a wonderful life - OK, it's from a song, but it makes a lot of sense.

And your quotes and photos are inspiring too. Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative..
Was that the Andrew Sisters? Oops, showing my age again.

Junosmom said...

Perhaps the reason I homeschool, when it comes down to it. To break the cycle of competition, both academically and in friendships. To be free.

SandyCarlson said...

So true. Thanks for this. You made me stop and look.

You and your blog are beautiful.

Stan Ski said...

i thought it was 'you are what you eat'.... eat/ate hate...?

Cloudia said...

Thank you for kindly sharing. Your comments are gifts I cherish...

Tes said...

Lovely photos and beautiful quotes!

Reader Wil said...

The first photo is so beautiful!! Aloha!

Teresa said...

That quote about how we oft become what conquers us reminded me of a paper I heard this weekend about a community of ex-slaves in African history who became slavers themselves when they went back. There is something in human nature that does this, isn't there? Thanks for the reminder.

foongpc said...

I like this post! : )

Cloudia said...

Aloha!