Thursday, April 8, 2010

Today!!

Aloha, FRIEND!

You have come at a MOST Wonderful time
as we celebrate one of THE great weekends of the year.

It's time once again for the
world Olympics of HULA
known as the
Merrie Monarch Festival.

Halau (Hula schools or families) have prepared for a year:
the chant, the hula, the adornments & lei.

Today they gather for the 47th time
from all over the islands,
and (in recent years) from the continent as well,
on the legendary stage of Edith Kanakaole Stadium in Hilo!


Click HERE
for link to info & streaming Hula!
Remember that Hawaiian Standard Time (HST)
is 6 hours later than New York.
Midnight in NYC is 6pm here.


Last evening, walking up Waikiki beach at sunset time,
I heard the strains of Hawaiian music as a trio serenaded our visitors.


"I wanna go back to my little grass shack in Kealakekua Hawaii. . ."





. . . it took me back
to our first morning in the islands, 23 years ago...



...as we ate brunch that day,
and prepared ourselves to fly to our destination,
our new home (sight unseen) on the Big Island called Hawaii.

That long ago day
was the first time I remember hearing the old song.
"WE'RE going to live in a shack in Kealakekua!"

Imagine my honor last eve
at hearing the classic song
and realizing that it is freighted with so much
of my life's story. . .


><>


You would really have to read my little Hawaii novel,
Aloha Where You Like Go?
(Click HERE)
to understand what that really meant to two refugees
from Normal America.

Suffice it to say,
the Merrie Monarch is a BIG thing here,
and it's a BIG thing to me!

Auntie Dottie, and Uncle George Na`ope,
the real founders of the institution,
both passed this year.

It is the passing of an age,
and this year they will be very near to us
from the moment that the
Royal Court
enters the festival tonight.

Like a big family reunion
we will see the Kumu (Masters of Hula)
and their Halau,
along with the judges and cultural experts,
that we have come to know for decades.

And like a family,
we will meet our new members:
new dancers (Wahine/Women & Kane/Men).
This year, there is even an all-Japanese halau
in from Japan!

You can read other posts about the festival,
and about Uncle George

Do look into the streaming broadcast
via the link near the red festival schedule near the top.

King Kalakaua, the Merrie Monarch himself,
said that Hula is the heartbeat of the Hawaiian people.

It's still beating in the Pahu Drum.

Come be moved with us.

Oh, and you can hear that "corny" grass shack song below.


ALOHA, cloudia








31 comments:

RONW said...

hula looks so easy, but it's definitely not.

bichonpawz said...

It sure looks beautiful! Hope I can visit sometime...wonderful traditions!

Dinesh chandra said...

very sweet dancing pictures ood blog.

regrds

dinesh chandra
9988901723

Anonymous said...

A wonderful festival.

Enjoy it!!

magiceye said...

wow that was a fun post!

namaste /\ from Mumbai
aloha!!

Charles Gramlich said...

Refugees from Normal America. I like that. I think Lana and I are something similar.

g-man said...

Enjoy Your Happy Festival Cloudia!

Dianne said...

their blue costumes are so vivid!

Daryl said...

Fantastic fun and awesome fotos .. aloha, Cloud! xox

Jingle said...

festive dances,
love the beautiful blue!

Tammie Lee said...

this looks like a wonderful festival, fun and anciently sacred. Wishing you a wonderful Merrie Monarch Festival!

Full-On-Forward said...

Oh, what a Journey--and you saved me Thousands of Dollars and a 13 ? hour plane ride! More from SC!!!!

GREAT POST and I love the Cultural Learning Event!!!

Love the Music, The FIRE theme, and Luaus would be the Best!

J

Like a Pig Pickin' redneck style here in the South, but with TONS more Flair-LOL! They are fun too!

nonizamboni said...

Thanks for sharing the festivities! And the memories (plus wonderful music). I'll be thinking of you this weekend.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BLOGitse said...

Have a great Hula weekend!
Sunny greetings from Casablanca,

BLOGitse

Akelamalu said...

It sounds so exciting and I would so love to learn Hula. :)

Kavita Saharia said...

The Hula dancers look very vibrant ...the pictures are beautiful.Aloha ,my friend.

Ileana said...

I wish I could celebrate with you! Love the music and the photos. Enjoy it all! xo

Jingle said...

http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/04/08/it-is-all-about-you-the-jingle-limerick-award-and-more/

Happy Thursday!

Teresa said...

What team are you rooting for in the Hula Olympics? It looks fun.

Fireblossom said...

Oh but I HAVE read your little book! :-)

Akannie said...

Hullo, dearest Cloudia !

Loving this post and the hula and all the festivities...

SharoninWonderland said...

It is my great pleasure to know your works!! I am in "publish" mode! It's my dream to have a book (or more) !!

Aren't you so lucky to experience the beauty of Hawaii! I myself, have never been.

Cheers to you!

Bubblewench said...

I LOVE IT! When I was in grade school we did one of those What will so and so be when they grow up? We didn't do our own, someone else did.. what they picked for me was "Teaching Hula lessons in Hawaii".... who knows, it could happen!

Aloha friend!

who said...

howrhee whorah

howling hula dancing!

Marguerite said...

Looks like a fun festival, with great music and dancing! Let the good times roll, cher! Aloha!

Cloudia said...

LOVE seeing YOU here!

Hula is definitely difficult...

David Cranmer said...

I would have enjoyed this. Looks like a lot of fun.

Junosmom said...

Ah, I did read your book, and passed it on to Travis. I wonder if it was in the fire or if that was after? Perhaps I'll have to buy another copy.

Cloudia said...

Aloha, David!

Junosmom: You are such a good friend! I appreciate you :)

Dina said...

Nice how you made aliyah to Hawaii, sight unseen. Like me to here.
It was a good move, took you to the place just right.
Hula on.