Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hello Sailor(s)

Aloha, Friend!



click on the clouds
Eaves, skies, and spirits soaring!



"I bought a cactus.

A week later it died.

And I got depressed,

because I thought, Damn,

I am less nurturing than a desert."


- Demetri Martin




Taiko Taiko One Day...




"An uncle gave me a side drum

and my mother decided I should have lessons."


Humphrey Lyttelton





Australian Military Pilot



“It is courage, courage, courage,

that raises the blood of life to crimson splendor.

Live bravely and present a brave front to adversity.”

Horace


><>

The flotilla approaches our island of Oahu.

34 military ships, five submarines, and more than 100 aircraft from 14

Pacific nations,

began their maneuvers yesterday.

It was just the start of activities that will last till August first.

Some 20,000 officers, sailors, submariners,

and aviators will be exploring our town

when their schedules permit,

for they will spend the bulk of it practicing

to hunt submarines,

to clear mines,

and to otherwise cooperate and collaborate.


A few missiles will even be fired!


New York City may enjoy Fleet Week annually

(Hi, Daryl :)

but the U.S. Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor

gets to play host to colleagues

from Australia, Chile, Indonesia, Japan, Singapore and South Korea

(among others)

for RIMPAC (Rim of the Pacific) Exercises on alternate years.


It's sort of a naval

"You show me yours, and I'll show you mine."


Taxi drivers, bar girls, and t-shirt shops: gear up for more business!


Hello Sailor...


And aloha to YOU, my webby friend!


cloudia


21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't know these exercises occured around the islands. You must feel a bit "invaded." Keep your "Popeye" ship tethered tight. You don't want to be part of the practice action.
DrumMajor

Cloudia said...

thanks for stopping by!

Delwyn said...

Hi Cloudia

Last time we were returning via Hnl we were eating at the new Whole Foods store in Kahala where we ran into a group of Au Airforce pilots who transport planes across the pacific.

Happy days

who said...

that fighter pilot isn't wearing a ring is she?


oh and Aloha Cloudia!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

My sister is a pilot!
<><

Unknown said...

Your blog entries always make me smile...THANKS!

Teresa said...

Thanks for sharing, Cloudia. Your last lines made me think of the Joni Mitchell song "Brandy."

KrippledWarrior said...

I remember RIMPAC, 3 of them to be exact...
I was a Sonar Tech for 21yrs.
Thanks for stopping by.

Full-On-Forward said...

That Aussie in Uniform is HOT!!! Is it the Uniform????

I also LOVE Demetri Martin.

Thanks for always lifting my Spirits--esp with your Clouds!

Hugs from the Mainland! watch out for Missiles & Subs--

Hoagies--not so much!!

John

Rosaria Williams said...

Well, a show of force always bring out the crowd, and the curious kiddies. That Horace? He is my home-boy! Yeah! A famous Roman who was born in my hometown in Italy, then known as Venusium.

Carol said...

Yes, I like being webby

Anonymous said...

May time and life continue to treat them kind.

daily athens

wenn said...

talking abt cactus, i'm not good either..

DeniseinVA said...

The first time I saw Hawaii I met Gregg's ship in Oahu after a six month deployment, where he left early and took his vacation time so that we could spend two weeks together before flying home. I've been in love with Hawaii ever since. It was a magical time. That was about 25 years ago. We'll be visiting again one day. Maybe we can get that cup of coffee and visit for a while.

Looks like you're going to have a lot of company. I am sure there will be a lot of people falling in love with Hawaii just like I did.

An English Girl Rambles

g-man said...

Our friends from Japan visiting Pearl Harbor...
Just doesn't sound right...

Hi My Friend....G

magiceye said...

fun times!

namaste /\ from mumbai
aloha!!

Charles Gramlich said...

For a moment I thought Hawaii was going to be invaded! :)

Lisa said...

All of my cactus died :(

Junosmom said...

Ah, well, a desert is much maligned, for it is nurturing - but only for those that belong there.

BALLET NEWS said...

Wonderful ! Happy weekend to you

SandyCarlson said...

That must really be something to see! I sure would love to experience it sometime. Thanks for bringing me so close, though, Cloudia!