Sunday, August 1, 2010

Crusing Palolo Valley

Aloha Friend!


Jazz: Chinatown, Honolulu
"The Dragon Upstairs" on Nu`uanu.

>< "Jazz is the folk music of the machine age."


Paul Whiteman


.


"Jazz is an intensified feeling of nonchalance."


-- Françoise Sagan





Cruising in Palolo Valley is fun.



"If I rest I rust."


Placido Domingo



This home has a view of tiny, doll-like houses on the ridge behind.



"When I was a kid, I went to the store and asked the guy,

'Do you have any toy train schedules?' "


— Steven Wright





The Korean Temple


The top peak was above city regulations
and neighbors demanded that it be "trimmed."
See the flat place?


"Five enemies of peace inhabit with us -

avarice, ambition, envy, anger, and pride;

if these were to be banished,

we should infallibly enjoy perpetual peace."

Petrarch




Looking back into Diamond Head
as we drive out of the Valley.


"Most of American life consists of driving somewhere

and then returning home,

wondering why the hell you went."



John Updike



Thanks for swinging by today! cloudia


24 comments:

the walking man said...

I go because it leaves me wondering why there is a flat roof in a place where all the others are peaked.

Pete said...

Oh, there is a Korean temple there, interesting.

ma thet zin said...

its really great.

BALLET NEWS said...

How interesting.... aloha and thank you !

Anonymous said...

Aloha for the trip! Haven't seen that side. Golly gee -- poor temple with a crew cut, and I'm sure a couple of hotels need a trim, too. Hawaii does better placing homes into the side of hills than the mainland. The rains must be channeled to keep from uprooting the dollhouse buildings, eh? I wanna rent one. DrumMajor

Betty Manousos said...

If I rest I rust as well, my frined!
How charming!
Aloha!!!!!!!!!!
Big hugs,
B xx

Feisty Crone said...

If I rest my knees lock up, at my age :) aloha!

g-man said...

Everything round these parts are beautiful...Thanks...:-)

Carol said...

My first husband's last name was Petrarca, a distant offspring of Petrarch, the Italian poet. That's all I got today!

Charles Gramlich said...

I try to drive as little as possible. I'm not one to go away from home just for the sake of it. I know that real life lies inside, not out there.

Jo said...

I don't know which I enjoy more on your blog -- the quotes or the pictures. Both I think. :-)

And yes, my favorite part of the journey is coming home -- except when I went to Hawaii, of course...!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/the-celebrate-blogger-awards-plus-prayers-4-viola/

awards are fun,
viola lost her husband,
I lost a general friend,
all together,
please visit and give love to them...
thanks

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Aloha! Yiasou!!

Joanna Jenkins said...

"If I rest I rust." I sure can relate to THAT! Great quote.

Thanks for the tour. You live in such a gorgeous part of the world.

Cheers, jj

Teresa said...

Hi Cloudia,

I love this post with all that jazz! Great pictures, too.

bichonpawz said...

I love coming over here to vacation in Hawaii!! Hope you are having a great Monday Cloudia!!

Dinesh chandra said...

hi cloudia viti my blog i m fond of your blog u r great to post.

regards
dinesh chandra

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'This home has a view of tiny, doll-like houses on the ridge behind.'

Relaxing photo.

DeniseinVA said...

They made them make the temple roof flat???? Oh well! Love the Placido Domingo quote, If I rest I rust. That spoke to me today ;) I feel like I am rusting, creaking at least. Have a good one Cloudia.
An English Girl Rambles

Akelamalu said...

Interesting post today Cloudia, thankyou. :)

Daryl said...

As always you find the perfect quotes for each glorious photo .. I know, I say that all the time .. but its true!

Junosmom said...

Well, it is interesting when you can no longer drive anywhere. Redefining life!

Hilary said...

Always a fine marriage of images and quotes. Steven Wright always cracks me up.

Cloudia said...

Thanks, Friends!