Saturday, October 23, 2010

Go Memories!

Yo!  er, that is, I mean:


 ALOHA !

Yeah, yeah...
Waikiki, Beach, Hawaii,
blah blah blah.

My mind is somewhere else-


Later today the
Philadelphia Phillies
will fight to remain
in the World Series Race.


The Phillies broadcasts
 were the soundtrack of my
Summers growing up:
By Sahm, Harry Kalas,
John  Facenda. . .


One day when I was little,
 Dad drove me into the city. . .


After paying some local kids to "watch" our car
we approached a big brick building that blended in
 with all the other brick
 in the city that Philadelphia was
 in the 50's.

My Dad told me that he went to
Mastbaum Technical High School right down the street.

I was a suburban kid,
 but he was teaching me that these were the streets
 we really came from. . .




courtesy (along with above): http://www.conniemackstadium.com/

I saw this on the website above
 and remembered walking past that wall. . .








I'll never forget the brilliant green of the field
after all that brick;



Right in the city!







I remember lots of cement and exposed girders.
 It reminded me of the subway


"The Philadelphia Phillies are the oldest continuous one-city, one-nickname franchise in sports, and no team enjoys as rich a history and as deep a connection with their fans. From their first game in 1883 through the team's back-to-back trips to the World Series in 2008 and 2009, the Phillies have earned a special place in baseball history and cultivated a passionate relationship with fans near and far."
From  THE OFFICIAL, DEFINITIVE HISTORY OF THE PHILLIES

Introduction by Mike Schmidt
Foreword by Christopher Guest
Dedicated to Harry Kalas





There's even a very pleasing Hawaii connection in the person of the athletic
 Shane "The Flyin` Hawaiian" Victorino.
He always seems to be in the thick of it!







So this afternoon (here in Hawaiian Standard Time) 
I will be spending time with FOX Sports,
 and my ghosts:
 Dad, Granddad, Jimmy,
 and the kid I was growing up in Philly.


Hope you make some lifetime memories this weekend,
 no matter how tiny.
 They might just loom large in later times. . .
You may sometime long to recapture the treasures
that seem so plentiful today.

     Warmly, cloudia


And GO PHILLIES!












38 comments:

HulaBuns said...

Go Phillies!! Love the pictures and the video! :)

carmilevy said...

Baseball has always been a magical sport to me. It's so infused with lore and humanity and community that it's difficult to walk into a ballyard and not feel a greater presence.

Your touching perspective reminds me of my own childhood experiences with my dad, walking through the rough neighborhood where he grew up before we headed down to the game (the Montreal Expos, alas.)

The memories that outlive the man are among the most powerful we have, and are more influential in how we become the people we are than we casually appreciate.

Sometimes, I swear I've crossed your path previously. In a good way, of course. Thank you for this wonderful reflection, especially on this day.

King of New York Hacks said...

My Yankees lost, but Philly is a very similar city with as loud a pulse. I have very fond memories of the old Yankee Stadium recently torn down, same kind, different city. Go Phillies and Aloha !Sending good luck honks to you from the Big Apple! ;)

Glennis said...

Aw, that's great! What great memories, too!! It's so great to have that website and video to bring them back. I grew up with the Cincinnati Reds and Crosley Field.

Go Phillies!!

And Aloha to you, Cloudia!

Anonymous said...

Glad you have some happy memories of your childhood. Way to go, Cloudia!

Tammie Lee said...

wishing you a lovely time with your ghosts ;-}

Cloudia said...

Thank you HulaBuns.

Carmi, What can I say? Wonderful comment.


Honk! Cabbie :)


Used to watch the Reds with Pete Rose play at the Vet, Aunty!




Aloha, GiGi

Cloudia said...

Mahalo, Tammie :)

SandyCarlson said...

I am rooting for your team since my team (er, that is, my player) is out. Philly is such an awesome city, so full of so much that is wonderful about America, I hope they get to lift that trophy high.

magiceye said...

namaste /\ from mumbai
aloha!!

Jenn Jilks said...

Go, team, go! We're watching. US teams, nothing to do with us. BUt it is good ball. And a fun game.
On a cold night, with snow last night, nice to see green.

Maude Lynn said...

Go Phillies!

Cloudia said...

Love you guys :)

thanks

christopher said...

I have been a NY Mets fan since 1969, and so have never rooted for the Phillies. But I would have to feel very good about their chances of getting to and winning the World Series once again if I were a fan.

I love the memories of attending sporting events and playing sports, and especially with family. I relate, as you do, to the awe of the spectacular green field opening up in the heart of a large city and in the middle of a building. That awe struck image was even more memorable when I saw it in my daughter's eyes as she stepped out of the tunnel and viewed the field of Shea Stadium in 1996.

Great post.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Hey Cloudia,
There is something so grand about the old ballparks. I'm watching the playoffs as I write this. Have to confess, being a left coaster, I'm rooting for the Giants. Thanks for visiting and leaving comments. Really appreciate that.

Lisa said...

Thanks for stopping by, Cloudia! I grew up in Phila.!!! Great memories.

Lisa xoxo

Windsmoke. said...

G' Day From Australia, Ok i know i'm from another country and don't really understand how baseball is played but i hope your team the Phillies wins on the day good luck.

Cloudia said...

Oh gosh! Thanks for these amazing moments of sharing

Snaggle Tooth said...

That's alot of old Hometown Team Spirit!

I've always loved baseball myself- n the Philles have done very well this year.
Great collection of pics you found for this post-

I went to Fenway with my Dad first when I was 7. His boss n pal used to lend him some of his season tix. Something i too will always remember-

Win or lose- hope you have a great week-end (I work week-ends...)

Kay said...

Have a great time, Cloudia. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you even though I don't follow baseball.

s.m. said...

Very good video and photo! Baseball has always been a interesting sport to me - I wish you all the best for this Sunday morning.

who said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Reader Wil said...

Although I don't know anything about baseball. I hope that your team winns. Thanks for sharing your memories!
Hartelijke groeten uit Nederland!

Magia da Inês said...

♥ Olá, amiga!
Passei para uma visitinha...♥♥
Memórias... recordar é viver!...♥
Beijinhos.
♥ Boa semana!
♥♥ Itabira
Brasil♥♥
✿ܓܓ✿ܓ✿ܓ

Indrani said...

Great pictures and the video too.
Namaste!

Ash said...

Great pics! Thanks for sharing...

Betty Manousos said...

Great pictures and video!

ALOHA!!!!!!!

Raph G. Neckmann said...

What a lovely post, Cloudia, and what an interesting sport this sounds! And the sense of love in your descriptions is wonderful.

I'm so glad to be back, dear friend!

Brian Miller said...

sorry they could not pull it out for you...a great game though...i have wonderful memories of baseball...aloha from VA....

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

Baseball, like they say, as American as apple pie.

What a digital scrapbook of visible memories.

I have a daily photo blog; however, now I can see the value of also having a more personal blog.

ruma said...

Thank you for your visit...
ruma

the walking man said...

To quote Ernie Harwell the Detroit Baseball announcing legend "He let that one go by like a house standing on the side of the road."

That last pitch was a ball, low and outside. I guess the home plate umpire wanted to go home. Crossed the plate below his knees.

Couture Carrie said...

Amazing photos and videos, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Charles Gramlich said...

Spent the day watching football yesterday and probably today. Not much of a baseball fan.

Friko said...

Good luck to your special team, but, erm, Cloudia, erm,
I don't understand who or what they are, erm. sorry.

As for memories, of whatever nature, they are who and what we are.

Aloha!

Feisty Crone said...

Hope things went well, Cloudia!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Some wonderful memories!
<><

Cloudia said...

You folks are wonderful