Monday, December 6, 2010

Wonderful New Day

Aloha

Welcome to a New Day for Hawaii!



"I absolutely believe in revenge.
A dish best served cold?
I say: get it any way you can."

Fran Lebowitz






"Smiles
are the soul's
party dresses."

Cloudia




 

"Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane. . . "

John Denver




"Be to her virtues very kind,
Be to her faults a little blind."
Matthew Prior


><}}(°> 
 
 
 
Today, the team I have supported
is being sworn in as Governor
and lieutenant Governor
of the State of Hawaii.
 
 
A ticket to the proceedings
sits right here beside my keyboard.



 
There is a concept in the Hawaiian Culture:
PONO.
According to the authoritative 
Pukui/Elbert Hawaiian Dictionary,
Pono means:  goodness, uprightness, morality, moral qualities, correct or proper procedure, excellence, well-being, prosperity, welfare, benefit, behalf, equity, proper, righteous, right, upright, just, virtuous, fair, beneficial, successful...and so much more.

Things in our islands
have been in disharmony
for eight years.



With all the problems we face today
a new, inclusive, regime is needed.


By all appearances,
that new regime is now come.


Humans will never be perfect
and I don't expect to agree
with every move "my" guys make.


But that longed-for inclusiveness is afoot,
as seen in the recent proposed appointments
of good people.

I have a confession to make.


A very rude and inflexible person
has been in charge of the State Department
that over-sees the State Harbors.


As residents of a State Harbor,
my neighbors and I have been under assault
by an antagonistic, pre-determined process
that has made us unwelcome
in our own beloved neighborhood.


The other day,
I saw that rude woman,
who had hurt so many peoples' feelings
(and made some boaters homeless)
crying before the TV News cameras.

Bullies always cry 
when they finally get the punch in the nose
that they have courted.

I felt a satisfaction,
an ancient one.


It's good to see those
who have made themselves 
you enemies
CRY.

Even better:

We welcome Pono Hawaiian Gentleman,
William Aila
Waianae Boat Harbor Master,
Hawaiian Activist,
& gadfly for what is right,
as our NEW 
DIRECTOR, Dept. Of Land & Natural Resources.
He is expected to be confirmed easily.

The war is over.
Now there's LOTS to be done.

But we the people of Hawaii
will do it together.

It's a wonderful day.
             What is pleasing YOU today? cloudia




BONUS:
Stroll around Honolulu @ Christmas Time!


35 comments:

Couture Carrie said...

Love your quote, darling!
Gorgeous post!

xoxox,
CC

Rosaria Williams said...

Ah, even in Paradise there are snakes. Pono!

Cheryl Kohan said...

Well, my heartiest congratulations to your new team!! This has to be a great day for you and I hope you really enjoy the festivities. If you can snap some photos, that would be terrific.

What is pleasing me, today? Well, this post and your obvious joy is what is pleasing me.

Out on the prairie said...

I always like to see people with new ideas, nice to get to go to the party.Loved your slideshow.

Hattie said...

Yay!!!!
I'm going to the swearing in of our new Hawaii County Council today!!! We got rid of the nut job and the toady! Public campaign financing made it possible for good candidates of modest means to compete and win against the incompetents!
If only the rest of the country were as fortunate politically as we are now.

Bitch said...

Yes, a wonderful new day!

Congratulations to your new team!

Greetings from Athens!!

Daryl said...

I wish I could be excited for you but it seems no matter who gets into office the outies are always still there making life less pleasant.. and John Denver wasnt leaving on a jet plane that was Peter Paul & Mary

Full-On-Forward said...

WE WON OUR PONO TOO THIS YEAR with a New Governor. The first Female in History of SC!!!!!!!

May, Goodness, Mercy, Love and all that is noble surround all our diverse cultures this year, and forever!

God Rulze! But we also must render unto Caesar! Good on ya for supporting the change!

Book is AWESOME!!!!! Howle! LOL!

Hugs and Aloha,

John & Sandi!

Full-On-Forward said...

Oh--what is pleasing me today--40 degrees for a High- with 15 mph winds--brrr, 19 degrees tonight--a Loving wife and a WONDERFUL NEW BOOK, both to help warm my heart--(and well..... ar ar!) that I don't want to read all at once!

But what reading weather and picturing the Islands!!!! Yes????

John

Akelamalu said...

Bullies always cry
when they finally get the punch in the nose
that they have courted.


That is so true!

A Lady's Life said...

Well now you got my curiosity up lol
I love Hawaii. Such a nice place.
What do they have to argue about?
Just enjoy.
Well hope things get better for the new year. :)

Maude Lynn said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Let's hope this is a start of a new better era.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

I like the Christmas images.

who said...

:) I like you guys Cloudia especially for the way your words sound.

It's a new Day,

Aloha

Betty Manousos said...

Everything in your posts is so nicely done!
B xx

Ileana said...

Your beautiful post is pleasing me today. I love the quote about the smile. Sweet.

Fireblossom said...

Aloha, girlie.

Anonymous said...

May time and life treat you all kind.

For me, today, it was the ability to return home, playing with building bricks and bringing my son to bed.

Please have a good Tuesday you all.

daily athens

Windsmoke. said...

The spinning wheel of life finally caught up with this person and gave this person a big punch in the nose and now she's crying boo hoo i say. For such a small word Pono has plenty of meanings. Here's hopeing your new team does the correct things for the people.

Commander Zaius said...

Best wishes with the new team in the state house.

"I absolutely believe in revenge.A dish best served cold?I say: get it any way you can."
Fran Lebowitz


Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Read your book again, and I must say that I enjoyed it even more the 2nd time around, Cloudia. You have a way with words.

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Your wishes come true with your great team sworn in as Governor. Haha saw some Malaysian stamps in your video clip..tQ

Aloha from Malaysia

Dave King said...

Something there for everyone. Excellent post.

claude said...

Beautiful wkiy with palmtree leaves on the first photo, Cloudia.
I love your own quatotation about smiles.
ALOHA, Cloudia !

claude said...

A smile costs nothing and produces far.
It enriches those who receive, without impoverishing those who give.
It only lasts a moment but his memory for ever.
Nobody is rich enough to do without it,
And nobody is too poor for not deserve it.
It creates happiness in the home, is support in the business and sensitive sign of friendship.
A smile brings rest to the tired, gives courage to the most discouraged, comfort in grief and is an antidote to the kind of all sentences.
However it can not be bought, nor lend, or even stolen.
Because it is something that has value only from the time he gives himself.
And if sometimes you meet someone who does not give you the smile you deserve, be generous, give him yours.
Because no one needs a smile as much as that can give to others.

Anonymous said...

I hope things work out for the good in your beautiful state of Hawaii.

I love the dog picture and your quote :-)

~Ron

Myrna R. said...

Hope the good guys are endowed with much goodness - pono.

As virtuos as we like being, a little feeling of sweet revenge is so human.

Freda said...

I hope the new regime works out. It just goes to show that things can be dark in a place that looks outstandingly beautiful.

Nancy said...

My husband interviewed for a job once for a big company in Honolulu and we both came away with the thought that there is a caste system that is alive and well in Hawaii. Congratulations on breaking through the embedded hierarchy.

Charles Gramlich said...

I see the nice warm looking pics here and I just got back from visiting Writtenwyrd's blog with pics of snowy woods. What a world the blogosphere is.

DeniseinVA said...

May good sense, kindness and concern for their constituents guide them. Aloha my friend.

Teresa said...

I just love new beginnings!!

Feisty Crone said...

As always, your photos make me feel warm, and your quotes inspire me.

Cloudia said...

Thank YOU!! :)