Friday, February 11, 2011

Cloud 8

A l o h a !




"Above the cloud with its shadow
 is the star with its light.

 Above all things reverence thyself." 


Pythagoras 






Do you see the diving eagle?






"Why is Cloud 9 so amazing?
 What is wrong with Cloud 8?" 

Mitch Hedberg 










courtesy US Air Force







                                                                                                          courtesy Harley Davidson





Why am I showing you this nondescript shot? 
 And what is that black spot at the upper left?








It's a bird in flight captured!





"If I could tell the story in words,
 I wouldn't need to lug around a camera."

 Lewis Hine





><>



"Hawaiians did not fear
or cringe before
or hate
the power & destructiveness
of Mauna Loa (Volcano).

Instead, they measured their
personal dignity
and powers
in terms of this Mother mountain's
majesty and drama,
naming their land
(the Big Island district of)
Ka`u  'the breast.'

They loved Pele
 (the volcano goddess who they
called "Tutu" - grandmother)
endured her furies
and celebrated
the drama of creation
in their lives,
in their songs,
and in sacred Hula
dramatizing 
'the Woman of the Pit.'

Pele's family
(of which they were a part)
was embodied in clouds,
thunder,
and lightning
in the verdure of the forest."

who is largely responsible
for the preservation of the Hawaiian tongue,
folkways, chants, and culture.

the KUMU ('Source')



It seems that we too live among volcanoes
called "economy" "climate change"
"rapid social-economic change."
Frankly, I can get overwhelmed!
It is good to look to the people
of the past,
and to the lessons
they have left us.


Thank you for drifting by today, my Friend!

How do YOU cope?       Comment?  cloudia

22 comments:

Joop Zand said...

These clouds are wonderfull
very good photowork Cloudia.

Greetings from Holland and i wish you a nice weekend.

Joop

Hattie said...

I love the volcano, and if I were inclined to worship deities I would worship Pele.
Great photos, as usual.

Friko said...

By largely ignoring the hype.

And looking at wonderful things like your photos and reading the tales of nature and history that you reveal.

Teresa said...

I loved the bird in flight. Great shot!! I also liked what you wrote about volcanos and life.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this exercise of and for thought.

Please have a good start into the weekend.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Almost always great to look up... beautiful captures of skyscapes !

DeniseinVA said...

I always enjoy drifting by here Cloudia. Aloha my friend.

SandyCarlson said...

Looking back at the people of the past is a helpful way to put the volcanoes erupting today into perspective. Thanks for this. I needed it!

Rosaria Williams said...

Greetings from the mainland. Cloud 8 works just as well as Cloud 9 on a summer day.

Commander Zaius said...

Wow! Speaking of coincidence I totally freaked this afternoon when I glanced up and saw a group of clouds that to me looked like an angel blowing a trumpet.

Windsmoke. said...

The Eagle in full flight gets my vote, fantastic. How do i cope?, by turning off and not listening to people that don't know what they are talking about :-).

bichonpawz said...

Definitely ignore the hype!

Lovin' your cloud scapes Cloudia!!

Perfection!!

Kay said...

How neat that you could do that close up of the bird. Have a nice weekend, Cloudia.

Cloudy said...

Always wonderful pictures...

Best wishes
Kvelli

the walking man said...

I will learn from the past but chart my future course in the present sista'. It is here and now that tomorrow is decided.

Anonymous said...

Lovely shots! And that Pythagoras quote is wonderfully inspiring!

Myrna R. said...

Ilove the photos. Hope we do learn from the people of the past.

Carol said...

I want to come visit where the land is not so far from the people.

Charles Gramlich said...

That's pretty intelligent, to love that which you cannot escape. Smart folks, the Haiwaiians.

Feisty Crone said...

great photos and words, as usual! I cope by taking lots of bubble baths and not taking it all too seriously.

Feisty Crone said...

great photos and words, as usual! I cope by taking lots of bubble baths and not taking it all too seriously.

Cloudia said...

Thank YOU!!