Sunday, February 13, 2011

Then It's OK

You Were Expecting maybe . . . an...



A  L  O  H  A  !? 

Ha!  Ha!




"Those who dwell among the beauties
 and mysteries
 of the earth
 are never alone
 or weary of life."

Rachel Carson







"Youth & Age"

"Old age has its pleasures, 
which, though different,
 are not less than the pleasures of youth."

W. Somerset Maugham 











“To stand at the edge of the sea, 

to sense the ebb and flow of the tides. . .

 to watch the flight of shore birds

 that have swept up and down the surf lines

 of the continents for untold thousands of years. . .

is to have knowledge of things

 that are as nearly eternal

 as any earthly life can be.”


 Rachel Carson 


<<>>





Eternal.

What a big word.

"Always,"
or "Never;"

Never Again:

That is eternity.







A few years back
my dad gave me copy
of an old sepia photograph.

The people in the picture
wear antique clothing,
early 20th Century
I guess.
 It was taken
around a hundred years
ago!



Sticky notes identify the people
 in dad's illegible handwriting.

But I know that these
are my ancestors:
Grandparents, uncles;
huddled masses
looking determined.

They are part of me;
of dad and me,
and they always will be
though they are long gone.


Ancestors belong in old photographs.
The inevitability of that
rests easy on our minds.

Until the man who gave me the photo
is no longer here
to give anything
anymore.

Then 'inevitability'
and 'eternity'
begin to hurt deeply.



They have become more
than words.

They are an awe-ful truth.

BUT
Before you CLICK AWAY

I recently heard this story from my Mom.

She is still in touch
with the widow
of the couple my parents
were closest to.

We'll call them Cheyl & Herb.

Well Cheryl went to a psychic.

And yes,
Herb came through.


He was very happy.

"We're having a wonderful time!"
He told his wife.

"Milt (my dad) is here
and we're laughing
all the time."



So throw your head back
and join me in a laugh
at all that scares us!

Today we are all Egyptians!

Today we all throw off
the yoke of fear!

Whatever it is:


                 Laugh At IT!   fondly, cloudia

28 comments:

Myrna R. said...

What a beautiful way to express a happy grief. I love your story.

The other day I went to see a healer and she gave me comfort in telling me that death is not a bad thing, like most of us think. She said it's beautiful and not to be feared for ouselves or for others. Your story confirms that.

Hilary said...

You always have a beautiful way of looking at life.

Friko said...

Brave words from a brave lady.
Aloha Cloudia

Living In Williamsburg Virginia said...

Wonderful post.

Darryl and Ruth : )

Anonymous said...

what an odd post! never thought of my ancestors laughing...

love the top photo of Diamond Head, btw. Beautiful photography, CC.

Feisty Crone said...

wonderful story, Cloudia! Thinking of my ancestors laughing together is very comforting. aloha from Seattle!

Joop Zand said...

Very good Cloudia
the first picture is great.

Greetings from Holland, Joop

Anonymous said...

time became a new meaning through your writing.


please have a good new week.

daily athens

Windsmoke. said...

Spotted Diamond Head in the new series of Hawaii Five O thanks to your photos. Looks pretty good so far after only three episodes :-).

Commander Zaius said...

"Old age has its pleasures,
which, though different,
are not less than the pleasures of youth."

W. Somerset Maugham


Absolutely, but there are times I wish I could be 26 again.

Joanna Jenkins said...

I'm sitting her reading and smiling! Thank you.
Hope your week is grand. xo jj

Kay said...

I'm all for laughing, Cloudia. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day tomorrow.

Donna said...

What a beautiful story! Those that have gone before us in life leave us amazing blueprints with their lives. The photographs are just a minute in time of that. How lucky we are to have even that to preserve it! Insightful post, beautifully written...beautiful photos too!

Steffi said...

Great post and story,Cloudia!

BALLET NEWS said...

such beautiful words as ever Cloudia ! Have a lovely week & Happy Valentines Day

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Happy Valentine's Day.

Carol E Wyer said...

Cloudia it's a pleasure to meet you (I came via Gran's blog). I have just had to add myself as your latest follower after reading this. Please drop by if you fancy a laugh - you'd be more than welcome.

Betty Manousos said...

Rachel Carson's quote spoke to me!
I love your optimism;

You're awesome, lady.
Wonderful story, Cloudia.

B xx
ALOHA!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

What an inspiring post. I love those pictures and the accompanying words too.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

What beautiful and courageous thoughts, Cloudia.

And there are so many beauties and mysteries that we do not understand, but which are truly there.

Pietro Brosio said...

Another wonderful post, Cloudia!
Now I have a faster connection and I notice, incredible but true, that I write less comments on the blogs! :-)

Hattie said...

Wonderful. I loved this. Happy Valentine's

Anonymous said...

Throw off the yoke of fear - I love that!

the walking man said...

I will laugh with you over your fears for I have none of my own to care for.

Orchid said...

that was a beautiful sad and yet optimistic thing yoo wrote...i would love to see that picture too. it must have been just classic. and i believe in the first quote by Rachel Carson...thats so true!!!

Brian Miller said...

like me aom awe-ful truth...and the last quote is spot on...aloha from va!

Unknown said...

wonderful post!
HI! my name's martina and I come form Italy... I'd like you visit my blog and if you want, follow me! I wait you and your tips!
kiss kiss
marti
glamour marmalade

Cloudia said...

THANK EACH OF YOU!