Saturday, March 19, 2011

Super Moon Tonight!

          Aloha Friend :-)


"I'd say it's worth a look."  

Geoff Chester,
US Naval Observatory,
Washington DC






Gem!    



“Truth is a gem that is found at a great depth;
whilst on the surface of this world,
all things are weighed by the false scale of custom.”

 Lord Byron 


 

                   






"Whoever possesses that chest,
possesses the leverage
to command Davy Jones to do
whatever it is he or she wants."

Captain Jack Sparrow 




Not-So-Super Moon, smiling



 “If, instead of a gem, or even a flower,
we should cast the gift of a loving thought
into the heart of a friend,
that would be giving as the angels give”
 George MacDonald




A “Super Moon”
like we will enjoy tonight,
is a new or full moon
when Mistress Moon rides within 90 percent of her closest approach to Earth.

While this happens 4-6 times a year,
NASA says that tonight's full moon will nearly coincide
with the moon's closet orbit point around the Earth, 
making tonight's performance the biggest, visible 
full moon in North America in two decades!  

Officially, a “Super Moon” is called a "perigee moon.”  But who cares about being official? 
Super moons are
about 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter 
than non-perigee moons. . .
When the weather cooperates, that is.



 "Tonight's full Moon (March 19th)
occurs less than one hour away from perigee – a near-perfect coincidence that happens
only every18 years or so;
The last full Moon so big and close to Earth 
occurred in March of 1993."
Said Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory in Washington DC.


Contrary to some alarms circulating  around the Web, perigee Moons do not trigger natural disasters. The "super moon" of March 1983,  passed without incident. And an almost-super Moon in Dec. 2008
also proved harmless. 
(Besides, don't we have enough disasters
right now?)

If you want to try and see the full effect,
(and take your mind off disasters
even closer to our planet)
  then look when the Moon is near the horizon
in the early evening.
 
That is when illusion mixes with reality
to produce an incredible view,
  say the nerds at NASA. 
 
They promise that it will appear 
close enough to touch!

A super perigee Moon is still 356,577 km away. 
But in space, that's kissing distance!
So blow some to the man, or rabbit, or goddess 
that you see up there.

       Your Loony Pal, cloudia

45 comments:

Kay said...

I wonder what the chances are of the skies clearing for tonight? Right now it's awfully cloudy on my end of the island.

Anonymous said...

With my luck, it will be too cloudy to view the moon tonight, alas.

who said...

The moon looks huge when it first comes into view over the horizon in Oregon.

I like the clouds Cloudia

Rosaria Williams said...

Sending you warm greetings across the ocean. The skies are threatening to clear!

Cloudia said...

Can't WAIT!

Brian Miller said...

ok setting the alarm to get up early to catch the moon shot...and yeah lets lay off the disasters...
aloha from va

Sailor said...

We saw the Super Moon already and its so beautiful.

Sailor said...

lol I just went out and looked again. Yes it is still beautiful and the sky here is clear.

Anonymous said...

aloha


cj

Marguerite said...

All clear, here! And for toppers, the moon is in Virgo! (my sign) A super moon, indeed! Enjoy!

Bitch said...

Full moon tonight as well..
Greetings from Athens!

Anonymous said...

making bright me night.


please have you all a wonderful sunday.

daily athens

Myrna R. said...

I love that you're looney. I will be outside tonight, howling like a fool.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Cloudia, i like that fish ...
Happy weekend to you !

magiceye said...

A superloony /\ namaste from mumbai
aloha!

have posted a pic of the supermoon as seen in mumbai at http://on.fb.me/g2auJn

SandyCarlson said...

Big is beautiful! And she is right outside my window, which can hardly containt her.


Thanks for a wonderful post.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

Happy Sunday..

amazing inspirations in your post as always..

Lisa said...

I love all the pictures and their corresponding quotes. I'll be sure to go out and look at our moon tonight!

Donna said...

You always have the most interesting pictures and posts, Cloudia!1 I hope it's a gorgeous moon for you tonight!!

Windsmoke. said...

As we all know when there's a full moon werewolves come out to play i wonder if they'll be 14 per cent bigger, just a thought from my bizarre mind :-).

Pietro Brosio said...

Excellent post, the moon is always so fascinating!
Happy Sunday

Anonymous said...

And it was an amazing moon last night! Hope you managed to see it.

bichonpawz said...

Last night was truly amazing...the moon was HUGE!!! Tonight it is still very BRIGHT!!! Aloha Cloudia!!
Jeanne

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

"I'd say it's worth a look."

Excellent clouds and sky.

Happy Sunday.

taio said...

superb

Betty Manousos said...

That fish is stunning!
Have a great Sunday!
Aloha-always!

B xx

Cezar and Léia said...

I like the way you mix image and quotations, very well done!
hugs
Léia - Bonjour Luxembourg

the walking man said...

Saw it looked at it reached out to steal it and it said "NO."

wenn said...

it looks the same to me.

Hilary said...

It was a beauty of a moon.

Teresa said...

I did notice that the moon was particularly big and bright, but I did not know that it was a super moon! Thanks for sharing this wonderfully loony information.

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Interesting and beautiful pictures!

Unknown said...

Looked on the same moon as you did, isn't that cool?

Junosmom said...

Okay, I'm getting tired of it not giving me a chance to say who I am. Cathy is Junosmom

Full-On-Forward said...

AWESOME FISH!!!! And the Moo was a bust here until 5:30 am as we had violent Thunderstorms all night!

But I felt it's Pull!

HFTRC!

I think I saw the Flag!!!!

J

Charles Gramlich said...

It was definitely cool.

KrippledWarrior said...

Astro-physics is now NASA NERD. Cool........

Cloudia said...

Such a jolly moon viewing party because YOU were here!

Fireblossom said...

My car died. I blame the super moon!

Commander Zaius said...

I missed it, a thunderstorm moved into the area and it stayed cloudy until the early morning. Serious bummer.

saverio otranto said...

nice, shots and words

Cloudia said...

LOL

Reader Wil said...

A perigee moon? I shall remember that!
In a couple of hours I am going to meet Kay Davies from Canada. She is touring the Netherlands and now going to see our windmills.
Groetjes van Wil

claude said...

No time to come before Cloudia. I was very busy at work.
The super moon of the night before the last night has been my nightmare. I do not know if it is me who do not love the moon or if it is the moon which does not love me.

Daryl said...

I fell asleep!