Thursday, March 17, 2011

What's Normal Now?

Aloha   from   Waikiki!


"A person often meets
their destiny
on the road they took
to avoid it."

Jean de la Fontaine








How am I doing?


"Normal is not something to aspire to,
it's something to get away from. "

Jodie Foster




Yawn; Just fine. Thanks...



It's been a week today. . .
Since a normal evening at home (on board) became an emergency.
The sound of sirens still makes me jumpy, but I seem to be recovering
some sense of normalcy (which is really great for a certified 'worrier').

Of course it's not 'over.'
Our neighbors just over the horizon in Japan
face a nightmare that threatens to blow our way.

Everyday I hear of some local whose wife/husband is
visiting elderly relatives in Japan. Most of them have been heard from.
Oahu resident Jack Johnson is in Osaka with his family (and donated $50,000 USD).
Raiatea Helm has returned to the islands,
And the last stranded Japanese visitors have been repatriated.

Everyday there is some new 'benefit' to raise money,
we are cleaning up our debris,
and "Aloha Japan" shirts are selling out @ $20 per
100% for Japan relief.
The "Honolulu Festival" parade last Sunday
was a sea of Japanese participants chanting
"Unity" in Japanese. Quite moving as the crowds on the sidewalk
cheered them on.

It seems a small thing, all in all,
but our state has budget problems like most others at this time
and revenue projections are down
with the cancellation of many, many reservations from Japan
(and elsewhere)
So if YOU ever wanted to come to Hawaii,
this would be the time for some amazing deals!
Click on the "Honolulu Hotels" link to the right
(under all your pictures!).

Every little thing:
Pausing. Breathing. Reiki.
Accomplishing  routine tasks-
It's all helping me to remain on an even keel.
(Heh heh, literally! I'm writing this on a boat! :-)

Tomorrow will be better.
Sorry I haven't been blog visiting!
I miss you guys-

Warmly, cloudia















22 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are you going to be a landlubber? 19 years is a loooong time...

Lori Skoog said...

Cloudia...I grew up on a lake and living on a boat sounds fine to me! Just know when to seek shelter from a sunami... The T shirts are great. By the way, I love Jack Johnson and have lots of his music.

Rosaria Williams said...

Oh, this is hard to watch. Reminders all around.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are hanging in there. Pirate Kitty seems to be even calmer than the stoic Japanese people. I can't come now, but I asked off for 3 weeks to visit and hang out THIS September/Oct. Do you need anyone to paint the boat or tie some knots? DrumMajor

Junosmom said...

The shirts are a great idea. I love hearing about how the Japanese people are helping each other and their spirit.

Anonymous said...

DM,

3 glorious weeks of vacation??? Woo-hoo! Doesn't get better than that!

I'll throw a party for you! Cloudia and Tom, Kay and Art, me and David, and YOU!

Commander Zaius said...

A person often meetstheir destinyon the road they tookto avoid it."
Jean de la Fontaine


The same goes for people I want desperately to avoid. They seem to turn up at every corner.

Marguerite said...

Glad to hear that things are getting a little better there. Love that Jodi Foster quote. I would love to visit Hawaii! :)

Anonymous said...

yes, life, time itself changed indeed.

first picture is amazing !

please have a good friday you all.


daily athens

Vagabonde said...

You are right, there are some amazing deals – I saw today a fare of $219 one way from Atlanta to Honolulu. I would go back in an instant every though I was there 3 weeks ago but I am going soon home to Paris, the opposite direction. I think about y’all though and hope everything will get better soon and in Japan.

Charles Gramlich said...

We know you've had your hands full. Take care.

Windsmoke. said...

Pirate Kitty has the right idea cool and calm. Jodie Foster's quote is true :-).

Trotter said...

Aloha Cloudia! Tomorrow will be better!!

Ash said...

Love that Fontaine quote. Oh, and that cat is super cute!

Myrna R. said...

Glad things are getting better. Keep on breathing deeply, being aware while doing daily tasks and doing Reiki on yourself and others. These are great medicianal acts. Many blessings to you.

Akelamalu said...

It must be worrying for you there being so close to Japan. I pray that there will be no more calamities to befall them. x

Barbara Martin said...

Cloudia, Reiki works for me too, and angels and being optimistic.

Daryl said...

Every nite we watch the news, every nite I am moved to tears ..

Pietro Brosio said...

It's a dreadful tragedy. I like the Jodie Foster's quote, beautiful the Japanese song and the images.

Cloudia said...

Love you guys!

Full-On-Forward said...

WE WILL Visit your Beautiful Island one day---and I demand a drive on the back of the scooter where Puka ni--used to travel!

HFTEC,

J

Kay said...

It's so beautiful how our country is coming together to help Japan at this time of incredible crisis and devastation.
I'm watching the Kam School Song contest right now and it's calming and peaceful.