Monday, April 11, 2011

Hawaii's Plantation Village

A l o h a !

I have said it before:
Hawaii is more than beaches.


“Don't grow up too quickly,
lest you forget how much
you love the beach.” 

 Michelle Held








We are more than amazing skies



"You can't put your feet on the ground
until you've touched the sky. "

Paul Auster







Our history still lingers, IF you know where to look



The past is our definition.
  We may strive, with good reason, to escape it,
or to escape what is bad in it,
but we will escape it only
by adding something better to it."

Wendell Berry



 ><}}(°>
 
 

On Saturday
I visited Hawaii's Plantation Village,
an outdoor history museum
that tells some of the stories 
of life on Hawaii's Sugar Plantations
(c. 1850-1950).

The Village includes restored buildings
and replicas of plantation structures,
buildings like the plantation store,
community center, 
and the humble homes
of the workers
who built our Hawaii.

The story that emerges
speaks of Hawaii's various cultures:
Hawaiian, Chinese, Portuguese, Puerto Rican,
Japanese, Okinawan, Korean,
and Filipino.

There are the people that came to work,
and then stayed to shape
and to share our uniqueness.

The lives of those people breathe in the setting,
and in the veins of locals
who come to see where grandma, grandpa
came from. 

Waipahu
was one of O'ahu's last plantation towns,
and its sugar mill operated until 1995.

I remember the emotion
as the last 'cane trucks' sounded their horns,
carrying the last crop to the mill.

  A way of life was passing.

But the smokestack still stands proudly
above the Waipahu town
that it built,
  reminding us to be grateful
to those workers,
and
for all
that has been accomplished 



Listen to the song,

While you watch the slide show:


31 comments:

Hilary said...

Thanks for sharing a piece of Hawaii's proud history.

Cloudia said...

Thank YOU, Hil

Marguerite said...

Plantation Village looks awesome and so interesting! Love that first quote and the lovely music, too!

Elephant's Child said...

As a small person I hated history. I was SO wrong. It is wonderful to track the past. Thank you for opening my eyes a little more.

BALLET NEWS said...

Gorgoeus !

Teresa said...

Wow. It looks like such a great place to visit!

Charles Gramlich said...

I really like the red border on that building

Esmeralda said...

Gracias por enseñarnos un poco de historia.
Una tierra de ensueño
Saludos

Donna said...

I've read James Mitchner's Hawaii in which there is much history. It is one fascinating culture. I have been asked by friends to come there next year. I am so excited to plan!!
Pictures are marvelous and I especially love the tree growing out the window!!

Sebab said...

Wonderful Village.

Anonymous said...

History, past, time - a little bit sweeter.

Please have you all a good Tuesday.

magiceye said...

warm greetings
namaste /\ from mumbai
aloha!

Anonymous said...

I have visited the Dole plantation village, but not the Waipahu Sugar Mill.

Pietro Brosio said...

Hawaii is so beautiful!
Nice text and pictures!

Indrani said...

Very interesting, I am glad to know about Hawaii's history.

Dinesh chandra said...

Great View & POST.

Regards

Dinesh Chandra

Commander Zaius said...

“Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.”
Michelle Held


I was the opposite, lived most of my life no more that 13 miles from a beach but now that I am about 140miles away with demands on my time making the distance longer I long for my rare chances to get in the car and drive down to the coast.

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Nice song having some technical glitch here with YouTube shall come back. tQ

Windsmoke. said...

I watched the video and especially liked the humble grass hut. The Plantation Village is very worth while presevering for future generations to learn the history of Hawaii and their ancestors :-).

foongpc said...

I've never been to Hawaii but from your description, I'm loving it already! : )

Anonymous said...

What wonderful history and culture you have!

the walking man said...

Got to be just passing through today...aloha sista'

DeniseinVA said...

Hawaii has the most fascinating history. Thanks Cloudia.

Reanaclaire said...

hello Claudia..coming by to visit u here too!

Full-On-Forward said...

The Ms. and I SO wanna visit!!! And Hawaii--not the tourist one!
What an awesome Historical and Spiritual place!

HFTEC

J

Akelamalu said...

I love history so if I am ever fortunate enough to visit Hawaii I would love to visit the Plantation Village.

Betty Manousos said...

Thank you for this post, love hearing about Hawaii's history.

Kay said...

This made me tear up. I grew up in Waipahu in a plantation home near that smoke stack. It was a time of innocense long gone now. It's such a strange feeling that the places we ran around as children are no longer there. It was burned down, graded and has a subdivision and stores on it now. It's like our past is completely obliterated.

SandyCarlson said...

What a neat story. Strange how mainstays become bits of history.

I love your images, as ever!

Nancy said...

Lovely commentary on this piece of Hawaiian history.

Cloudia said...

Oh thank YOU