Sunday, July 3, 2011

Mighty Mighty Turtles

A L O H A, 
                    Turtle Fans !




" You must welcome change as the rule
but not as your ruler. "

Denis Waitley








 Friends Who Never Leave / Self Portrait

" A tattoo is a true poetic creation,
and is always more than meets the eye. 
As a tattoo is grounded on living skin,
so its essence emotes a poignancy 
unique to the mortal human condition.  "

V. Vale and Andrea Juno,
Modern Primitives





So WHAT?!  Can't EAT them!

" Find your place in the sun.
Especially if it happens to be on that nice pile of warm, clean laundry."

Miss Kitty




'^'




Diamondback terrapins have left the waters
of Jamaica Bay (off New York City)
to lay their eggs for centuries, 
long before we ever learned to fly 
or built JFK Airport.

They see no reason to change now! 


Last week, the annual Airport Turtle Roundup commenced,
spawning Tweets,
  and lots of bemused news stories
about fast jets and slow turtles.


All the world loves a MoM!



Meanwhile, here in Hawaii, 
officials are reassessing the status of the
HONU,
the Hawaiian Green Sea Turtle.

So scarce in the 1970s
that they were put on the Endangered List,
these beloved creatures are now common in our waters,
perhaps even eating enough Limu (local sea 'weed')
to imbalance the reef eco-system.

Brace yourself:
there is even talk of allowing a LIMITED catch
by Hawaiians for cultural and subsistence purposes.

It will NOT be open season on turtles!
(Though the whole idea makes me queasy)

So turtles are doing fine.

In fact, they RULE!

You got a problem with that,
Kitty?

        What say YOU cloudia

32 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I am glad to hear they've made a comeback. Alligators here had to be protected at one point but now they are back in a big way. They are even a nuisance in some cases, but I sure do love to see them. What magnificient creatures.

Teresa said...

Hooray for turtles! I am glad that the turtles have made a comeback. And I love Miss Kitty's portrait and quote. Nothing beats a pile of warm, clean laundry ;-)

Anonymous said...

Your tattoo of the turtle is very pretty. Hope it didn't hurt too much to have it done!

Feisty Crone said...

I love the turtle tattoo!

Kay said...

I do love seeing the turtles. Ogo have now become extinct on the shores though.

As for tattoos. I really don't like needles and the permanence of a tattoo is really scary because my likes and dislikes change so much. What I like today, I might really hate in 2 years if not 2 months.

Anonymous said...

Hurray for turtles! Love your tattoo of them also.

Pierre BOYER said...

Lovely turtles tatoos...

Pierre

FilipBlog said...

The turtles are indeed special.

Heidi said...

Great info on the turtles...Miss Kitty sure is pretty, what a gorgeous shot of her...Happy 4th of July to you!

Maude Lynn said...

I love turtles!

Elephant's Child said...

Love turtles. Love cats.
Another winner. Thanks.

BALLET NEWS said...

Loving Miss Kitty!!

Windsmoke. said...

Maybe its best for a cull to take place as the Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles may over populate the waters and eat themselves out of house and home then start dying off causing disease. A limited catch by the Hawaiian people for cultural and subsistence purposes maybe the answer :-).

Ileana said...

I see YOU'VE found your place in the sun...love Miss Kitty!

Anonymous said...

Once there was a dragon who would even dive into the sea to save a turtle.
What a wonderful entry. Makes life again feel good. Please have you all a good new week.

Full-On-Forward said...

WE LOVE YOU!

and Cats!

Aloha friend and have a Blessed 4th tomorrow!

HFTEC,

John

Commander Zaius said...

Going on what Charles said I'm not big on gators, they have scared me since I was a kid. Now I love sharks.

Indrani said...

Good news about turtles. I like the Kitty's quote. :)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I heard about the turtles and the airport business, good on the turtles for not being distracted from what they have been doing forever and let nothing stand in their way. Really enjoyable post Cloudia

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Bananaz like this..'So WHAT! Cant EAT them'.. but can give you a purr-fect ride on them...hahaha. tQ

Erika said...

Ciao from Italy
Your blog is always very interesting!

Daryl said...

Nothing wrong with moving slowly .. sweet post .. and a happy 4th to you!

Unknown said...

Ha! Mighty Mighty Turtles indeed! I'm so happy they're doing well and that so are you!

Peace and love,
Gina

DeniseinVA said...

I read about the turtles crossing the runway at JFK. It made me smile. I am happy to hear the turtles are making a comeback. I've always had a soft spot for them.

Milandailyphoto.com said...

wow!!!!i like this set with the cat,my preferred pet

Hattie said...

I don't like the idea of killing turtles for any reason. They don't have an easy time of it and could be wiped out in these precarious ecological times.
Anyway, do remember people asking, "Are you a turtle?" And do you know what the correct answer was?
Oh, and happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

turtles do rule!


alby, UK

SandyCarlson said...

That is a great post. I love the self-portrait, and the whole thing! Beautiful. So glad my Internet connection came to you after five minutes of fumbling around the universe.

nazelet said...

We love turtles in our family. Turtles are my husband's totem animal. Mama turtles are also coming ashore to bury their eggs here on the coast of southern florida and some beaches are closed. I love your tattoos. I am emailing the link of this post to my husband.

Jenny Woolf said...

It is so good to hear that they have made enough of a comeback for this. A conservation success story.

Lynn said...

Love that kitty. :)

Cloudia said...

Thank YOU!!!!!