Monday, October 24, 2011

Over the Bridge

A L O H A !


Ala Moana Beach Park, Honolulu


" Difficult times
have helped me to understand
better than before,
how infinitely rich and beautiful
 life is in every way, 
and that so many things 
that one goes worrying about
 are of no importance
whatsoever. "

Isak Dinesen





“He that cannot forgive others,

breaks the bridge

over which he himself must pass 

if he would ever reach heaven;

for everyone

has need to be forgiven”

 

 George Herbert 







“Let every man praise the bridge

that carries him over”

 English Proverb









"The grave is but a covered bridge

Leading from light to light,

through a brief darkness!”

 

 Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

















“ The hardest thing in life 

is to know which bridge to cross

and which to burn. ”

 

 David Russell








" The youth gets together his materials
to build a bridge to the moon,
or, perchance, a palace
or temple on the earth,
and, at length,
the middle-aged man concludes
to build a woodshed with them.  "


Henry David Thoreau













" The biggest emotion
in creation
is the bridge to optimism.  "

Brian May









 > < } } ( ° >
     


So much in our lives
could be viewed as a 
transition from one thing
to another.


We go from mother's milk
to solid food.


We transition from home
to school.

We always seem to be
on our way somewhere
else.


Perhaps that's why we love bridges.


They re cathedrals
of going
from one place
to another.


They represent delivery
and freedom;

" The river is wide
and  I just can't get
over."

Moon Bridges were built
as places of contemplation,
both OF their lovely shapes,
and as places
of View.


This one was built during the 
days of the Depression
to provide meaningful work
and beauty to Honolulu-
kinda what President Obama
wants to do now
with his jobs bill.


Let's enjoy
a contemplative moment
on our rush from Here
to There.


Glad YOU could stand here 
with me for a few moments.
Thank You.
Here's a spray can-
please leave YOUR graffiti
on the 'Comments Wall.'
                                                                           Warmly, cloudia



BONUS BRIDGE:
George Washington Bridge

35 comments:

21 Wits said...

Aloha Cloudia! I'm hoping your book (just ordered on Amazon) will arrive before this Sunday! I'll be flying to sunny Cali and I hope to take your book for the plane and possibly the beach. I'm excited to read it! I always enjoy new stuff for the airplane...although I'm flying with my daugher and her little (2) girl so there may not be reading time! The bridge you have pictured here is very cool! Have a great week!

Jeannie said...

There is something wonderful about pausing in the centre of a bridge and looking over.

bobbybegood1 said...

Your posts always inspire me. Book? I had no idea. Must buy, must read. I know it has to be great. And our dear friend Daryl takes the most lovely pics - doesn't she. Great shot of George D!! I am so thrilled for you Cloudia. Cheers!!

P. S. Internet Explorer, Gmail was messed up last week. I couldn't even check my email let alone blog. It's great to visit your site.

Daryl said...

Oh thank you dear sistah!

FilipBlog said...

Nice article, how you can link all these thoughts to a bridge image.

Greetings,
Filip

foongpc said...

What a weird looking bridge. I feel it looks like a chinese grave!

Myrna R. said...

It's been a long time since I've been on a bridge. Enjoyed looking at your pictures.

I miss the bridges sometimes, 'cause I'm running too fast to get somewhere. I'll try to appreciate them more, stand still, contemplate the moment.

DeniseinVA said...

I always enjoy reading the quotes you have chosen for your posts, and really enjoyed the first one by Isak Dinesen. Your photos are always so lovely. Aloha Cloudia :)

Anonymous said...

Mahalo for stopping on the bridge and showing us the view. DrumMajor

Friko said...

I hope you don't mind but I don't think I like this bridge. There's something a bit kitschy about it to my mind.

But I do like the idea of bridges taking us across worlds. The Thoreau quote is my favourite. I think I've reached the stage he's talking about.

Miriam said...

Such lovely thoughts, as always. It reminds me of that Judd's song "love can build a bridge." That made me smile. :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Hattie said...

That is an odd bridge. Where is it?
And what is the title of your book? Can I get it as a download on Kindle?

Erik Donald France said...

Moon Bridge -- that's lovely, as is your whole post ~~ cheers ~~

Anonymous said...

the bridge over!

Windsmoke. said...

Bonza photos of Ala Moana Beach Park i especially like the unusual shaped bridge. I agree with the David Russell quote :-).

Birdman said...

This art is captivating. Simple, bur workable

Anonymous said...

Bridging the gap between life and time, comfort.

Please have you all a good Tuesday.

Teresa said...

Makes me want to sing "A Bridge over Troubled Water" except it's a bridge over beautiful, peaceful water.

bichonpawz said...

Very, very cool bridge pics!!! I love looking at them...don't really like driving over them .... at ALL!!!

Randy said...

Another beautiful day on your island!

Elephant's Child said...

That bridge is serene and beautiful - with a beautiful post to go with it. Thank you.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

That bridge is like a sculpture !

Snowbrush said...

I especially love the Thoreau quote. Your blog reminds me that one my dear friend's younger sister died in Hawaii last week. If she had had a colonoscopy, the cancer would have probably been caught in time, but she was eight years overdue, and it killed her.

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

The name Ala Moana brings back sweet memories of my very first trip in Ala Moana Hotel. Nice version of Bridge Over Troubled Water by Aretha Franklin. Wow special kind of bridge you've got there. Love the clouds in your Bonus Bridge pixz.

claude said...

Ni ce photos and very good quotes, especially the first one.
The bridge is very curiously beautiful.
Aloha, Cloudia !

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love love this post! Marvellous photos and above all, deep thoughts about the symbolism of bridges.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I enjoyed standing with you for a few minutes Cloudia! Fab pic by Daryl at the end there.

Indrani said...

Lovely perspectives of the bridge.

Autumn Belle said...

Love your pictures and wise words about bridges.

Lisa said...

These are wonderful Cloudia. Bridges ease our crossings, we must thank those that built them.

Carol Kilgore said...

What an unexpected pleasure! Your blog is beautiful, filled with great photography. Love the moon bridges :)

Thanks for commenting on my blog the other day.

Erika said...

Your quotes are always very important for our life.Thanks dear friend Cloudia!
Kiss.
Erika from Italy

Cloudia said...

Gosh thanks!!!

Freda said...

I need the bridge to optimism - thank you Cloudia

Cloudia said...

What a great thing to say!