Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Vampire

A L O H A
to
YOU !

Ill Be Home For Christmas by Bing Crosby on Grooveshark



Gosh it feels like Christmas!
  The TV is showing blizzards
in North America,
Mrs. Obama and the girls
are here on Oahu with us. . .











The parking lots at Ala Moana Shopping Center
are full,
  the road to the interstellar telescopes
atop the summit of Mauna Kea
is closed
because of snow and inclement weather.












There is hurry, frustration, &
transformative joy 
at loose on this island.

  Locally based troops
were the last group to leave Iraq this weekend.
Our  Hawaii Air National Guard brought them home.

We see them marching into the hangar
to the jubilation of their families
on local TV news and it makes
me cry every time.

Can't help thinking of what poet Robert Graves,
a combatant in WWI,
said of the night that 
that war ended:

" The news sent me out walking. . .
cursing and sobbing
and thinking of
the dead. "





  =^.^=


Holiday cards are coming in 
bringing an air of festivity
into our home.


Meanwhile,
especially this year,
we are doing NOTHING
but enjoying it all!

There will be DRY champagne,
and happy times.

We are sort of:
Christmas Vampires,
enjoying it all through the emotions
of others,
free-riders.

It has been wonderful
visiting all of your posts,
looking around at all the jollity,
and deep reflection,
then leaving for the next party-
all without bringing anything
but a friendly comment,
or being thought rude
for leaving so quickly.
Thank YOU
for sharing this wondrous season!


Mindful of New Years, Hanukkah, Kwanza,
I have always enjoyed wishing others:
"Happy Holidays."


Nowadays, some who find that offensive
(as denying the primacy of christians)
have taken all the joy out of it.

I refuse to say Merry Christmas,
because bullies dictate it.

*SIGH*
Glad you and I
are past all that!

Thanks SO much-

Tell us a small holiday treasure you enjoy
in comments !
                                                                     Fondly, cloudia

26 comments:

bobbybegood1 said...

OMG! I am th first to comment? Yahoo! Lovely post. Fantastic the troops are home!!!!!!!!!! Pics are stunning Cloudia. Have a wonderful holidays. Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

It's raining here in my section of Honolulu. How is it in Waikiki, Cloudia? No rain will dampen my holiday joy!

Cloudia said...

misty and christmassy!

Thanks BOTH of you for dropping in- Joll!

the walking man said...

*shrug* I guess at one time there used to be "normal" Christmases. Then I got older than 10, I began to understand theat the tooth fairy and Santa Clause were from the same story and by the time I was thirty I had already seen that we were becoming a Wal-Mart christmas christian set of peoples on the world and after the kids were olde enough to have figured it out for themselves with no help from me. it became the days of the last page of the calendar. Nothing particularly good nor evil.

Say what you will to whom you will and I for one will ever defend your right to say it and harangue them who foist politically correct speech off on any one as the way things must be.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Good Kwanza, May your Ramadan just past have brought you closer to Allah and may Passover find you well safe and happy...and when it's all over may the spirit of creation have guided you well through the pitfalls of man for another year and do so again for the year to come.

Anonymous said...

Then there's "Mele Kalikimaka!" Christmas in the Islands was wonderful one year between the kid's semesters: no snow to shovel, and the geckos stay green! DrumMajor

Windsmoke. said...

Every Christmas holiday with family is a treasure :-).

Sandy said...

I don't think I have ever seen "Christmas Vampire" together before- but I approve! Happy Holidays to you Cloudia.=)

Betty Manousos said...

gosh, i LOVE your shots!

lovely post as usual.

wheatgerm said...

great post

Anonymous said...

I like the knee-hugs from little kids at the food pantry I volunteer at...when they pick out a toy. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

life-blood, this year indeed, Christmas has become for me.

please have a good wednesday.


daily athens photo

Cloudia said...

this is great! glad you came by every one

Elephant's Child said...

The Robert Graves quote was just how I feel. I too mourn the dead. All of them regardless of which 'side' of the conflict they come from.
And I am happy as a heathen to wish people happy holidays - it doesn't matter what your religion is, or whether you have one at all, I want you all to be happy.

magiceye said...

beautiful thoughts!

namaste /\ from mumbai
aloha!

SandyCarlson said...

I am glad the First Family is among you folks. Very cool. Beautiful post.

Lisa said...

Christmas Vampire, I could be that.

Merry Christmas Cloudia. I can imagine the joy being with the Obamas. I am sharing in.

Lynn said...

I love the holidays, too - hope yours is lovely, Cloudia.

JTG (Misalyn) said...

Happy holidays Cloudia. I am used to greeting everyone Merry Christmas on the day itself because I believed that everybody is Christmas.

Glad the troops are back. Their families will be very glad to spend the holidays with everyone present.

Cloudia said...

This is GREAT! SO happy to see each of YOU

Miriam said...

YOU are a treasure :), Happy Holidays!!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Marguerite said...

Lovely post and photos! Happy Holidays!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Love the interpretation by images Cloudia especially the 'hurry and frustration' so clever. My joy this Christmas is that my son David and his new wife will be coming over from Sydney to have Christmas with us, can't wait to give him a big hug yaaaaay!!

Commander Zaius said...

Great post!

Cloudia said...

Gosh - THANK YOU !

Mrs4444 said...

What a sweet post! I loved this little introduction to your blog. I especially loved the party analogy.

How ironic is it that here, in Wisconsin, we haven't a lick of snow, but in Hawaii, it's causing problems?! Funny.

Your post reminds me of the Friday Fragments meme that I host each week--It's bits and pieces of random things that come together for a satisfying post. Check out the tab at the top of my blog page if you're interested.

It's nice to "meet" you :)

Ruby said...

Lovely post and I loved the sky profile pic. Happy Holidays Cloudia!!!