Friday, June 8, 2012

Back Streets Back Roads

A  L  O  H  A !
Backstreet Girl by The Rolling Stones on Grooveshark


A Nice Summer Day to Wander

" I live on a one-way street
 that's also a dead end. 
I'm not sure how I got there.  "

Steven Wright















So many wonders to see!


"You need to let
 the little things
 that would ordinarily
 bore you 
suddenly 
thrill you.” 

Andy Warhol













Just riding past- what's happening HERE?

“There are no
 ordinary moments. 
There is always 
something 
going on.” 

 Peaceful Warrior










Wait! Look at the trousers. Could it be?!


" It always amazes me 
to think
 that every house 
on every street 
is full of so many stories; 
so many triumphs 
and tragedies, 
and all we see 
are yards and driveways.  "

Glenn Close





















YES!  Lion Dancers at Practice!


" Great works 
are often born
 on a street corner 
or in a restaurant's
 revolving door.  "

Albert Camus



 >  <  }  }  ( ° >



Isn't Summer just the time for wandering?

After daily routines of school for months
the child in each of us awakes to
June light and realizes: Freedom!

I like the back streets,
 the carriage ways, back alleys
and lanes- 
 of which Honolulu has many.

One of the things I learned from Dad:
The main routes - are not the ONLY way.

Civilians knew the main roads,
but we knew the shortcuts, sights,
and logic
of going just one block over.

On my scooter
I still prefer our leafy residential streets
most laid in the 20th Century
of which this small island city
is a singular museum.

There is a picture of the President
on a visit home after his grandma "Toot"
had passed,
walking alone (for the moment)
down my fave little Young St
(I guess his too)
a block from where he grew up
in her home. 

Are YOU wandering this Summer,
in your town?
Region?
Country?
Continent?
World?

Can't WAIT
to see your pictures,
and hear YOUR stories;
but as for me,
I'll be ambling around
Honolulu Town
on my little scooter.


Toot!   Toot!

Thank YOU for stopping


                              Warmly, cloudia

25 comments:

the walking man said...

I will be wandering around the region a little bit this summer but you can rest assured knowing will be tooting everywhere I am. It's a guy thing, the one talent ever make on the planet has...toot toot!

Bitch said...

Riding on your scooter and taking great pictures!!
Hugs from me!!!

Daryl said...

Aside from a short get-away to Santa Fe at the end of this month, I plan on long weekends to relax

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Interesting in June !

Myrna R. said...

I think you must have so much fun on your scooter. I think it's a form of yoga for you, to maintain an open eye for the marvelous usual and the magnificent unusual. Keep having fun!

Charles Gramlich said...

Spring is the wandering time here. Summer is a bit too humid and hot. But in the evenings I do get out quite a bit.

TexWisGirl said...

enjoy your 'ambles'. love the steven wright quote. :)

Teresa said...

Love,love, love the lion dancers!! Thanks for sharing the backroads of your mind.

Linda said...

Great post. Steven Wright always makes me laugh. Thanks for sharing.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

How super cool to see the lion dancers at practice. Love watching them when they perform. I am definitely determined to do lots more wandering, but it'll have to be in between the showers, winter has started. Thankfully I love walking on the beach in winter. Have a fab weekend Cloudia.

Cloudy said...

Das erste Bild ist gigantisch!

Servus
CL

Lynn said...

I love "off the beaten path" - thanks for this view of yours. Love the Lion Dancers, although I have no idea what that is.

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful fun post!

Dianne said...

steven wright kills me, everything he says makes me laugh

the lion dancers are wonderful

Anonymous said...

How wonderful an adventure. China town over here finds itself in the dangerous and bad part of the city.

Thank you for this adventure. Please have you all a good weekend.

daily athens photo

Cloudia said...

Thanks my Friends!!!!

RONW said...

those lion dancers are insane big time. And, yea, I noticed the matresses in case they slip or fall.

magiceye said...

love to accompany you on these back streets!

namaste /\ from mumbai
aloha!!

Elephant's Child said...

Small things are so often the best things.
Thank you.

eastcoastlife said...

Enjoy your Summer! toot toot...

Indrani said...

Great sightings from back street.
Happy weekend to you!

Bob Bushell said...

I love those "lion dancers", they're special.

Linnea said...

Happy tropical wanderings to you! I hope to be wandering into a cooler climate this summer. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy the weekend. I love popping in and checking out your latest entries.

Autumn Belle said...

Summer in the northern hemisphere now, school holidays for our kids here. Love your back street back roads scenes.

Erika said...

Summer is coming to my city. I like this season very much. In my blog you can see my sea. I like very much what you have written, dear Cloudia.
Your father was right.
A big hug from ITaly*-*
Erika