Monday, November 17, 2008

Island Style

Lion Dance! Fireworks!





Kahu (priest) Blessing new store








This is how we open a new yogurt store: lion dances, A Hawaiian blessing (above) and TAIKO drumming!



"Oh my, with all this hullabaloo it's going to be embarrassing if I DON'T die."
-Barack Obama's grandma Madelyn Dunham on all the flowers sent to her in her last days

"I felt honored that someone from our islands has risen to his position. The way we are brought up in the islands, we are simpatico with each other. . . Both Dunham and Obama reflected that cultural sense."
- Abigail Kawananakoa (Direct descendant of Hawaiian royalty speaking at Dunham's public memorial; she would probably be Queen today if . . .)

“Flowers leave some of their fragrance in the hand that bestows them”
- Chinese proverb
Aloha Greetings!
I want to thank all of YOU who visit Comfort Spiral, who have left your comments and who have subscribed ("Followers").
Your own blogs are a rich new part of my life, and I feel that some of you are simpatico fellow spirits. Your images and words have made my world a richer place. I hope you will continue to voyage in your canoes of thought here to my island home. You are most welcome. Your visit is a gift that you give to me. In Hawaii, we have NO TOURISTS, just visitors & friends (new and old.)
Mahalo for your time . . . We'll hold a shady spot for you here under the palms of Waikiki . . .
A L O H A ! Cloudia

9 comments:

The Grandpa said...

Visting your posts and getting to know your islands are among the high points of my day. Thank you for making us feel welcome.

Anonymous said...

cool!

Akelamalu said...

we have NO TOURISTS, just visitors & friends (new and old.)

I love that sentiment my friend. x

Anonymous said...

Which yogurt store was this? After all that commotion, the taste must be divine!

Sepiru Chris said...

Dear Comfort Spiral,

You have obviously found your cultural double helix of happiness on your adopted islands. (Or have the islands adopted you? I will not presume to determine to which nouns the nominative and the accusative applies; I only placed them in one order as English requires that of me.)

Lion dances indeed. You certainly do not need to wait for postings from Hong Kong.

As for yoghurt, besides the Swiss divine abilities with flavouring yoghurts, I would suggest the old fashioned, single-serving, ceramic pot contained yoghurts of Beijing for your friend Gigihawaii.

Cheers,
Chris

Maria Verivaki said...

wow, is that what obama's grandma said? incredible phopos today cloudia!

Cloudia said...

Grandpa:
YOUR posts, & your comments in my forum, are among the things I look forward to the most. You ARE most welcome!

Akelamalu: You are indeed a friend!

Gigi: Ward Warehouse: MENCHIES frozen yogurt. Though S. Chris' advice is intriguing, eh?

S. Chris: Yeah, baby: we gots us some lions & fireworks and dim sum here in America's oldest Chinatown!
Nic to see you in da spiral, sweetie!

Mediteranean Kiwi: Yes she said that. she was quite a lady! She almost singlehandedly established the escrow buisness in Hawaii. Mazie Hirono (the only Budhist in US Congress) worked for her as a youth and remains in awe of the lady. young 'Barry' was seen in the bank lobby waiting for his 'Toots' to come down after work.

Glennis said...

I would have liked to be there at the openning of the yogurt store, have never been lucky enough to see a Lion dance.
I enjoy your posts too, very thoughtful and thought provoking.

cheryl said...

Mmmmm, I'm going to enjoy learning about your culture :)