Saturday, April 25, 2009

Why Thank You

Aloha Welcome!
Click on photos to enlargeResidential Kapahulu
"I lift my eyes unto the hills"


Yellow Hibiscus, State Flower of Hawaii


"Famous are the flowers of Hawaii"

Look, I won an award!


“I feel that this award was not made to me as a man, (sic) but to my work -- a life's work in the agony and sweat of the human spirit, not for glory and least of all for profit, but to create out of the materials of the human spirit something which did not exist before. So this award is only mine in trust.”
William Faulkner



The lovely blogger, AKELAMALU of Everything and Nothing has granted me the award above!
Why thank you, Ake.
Though I am honestly rather scrappy, I'll play by the rules by posting ten things about me that you may not know. Then if you remain awake, you can visit my gal pal Ake at:
http://akelamalu.blogspot.com/


And now for our game,
10 things about me that you may not know:
  1. I worked overnight for years.
  2. Bad aloha wear can make me somewhat nauseated.
  3. Though I adore my home, Hawaii, I miss snow, blizzards, and ice storms, and can watch them on the weather channel for hours with the air conditioning on HIGH.
  4. As a Medical Reserve Corps volunteer, I will be tapped to assist in any major disaster or pandemic.
  5. I left home at age 14 to hitch hike around and experience life for a summer month or so. My parents weren't happy but acquiesced when I explained that I was a writer, and moreover could easily run away.
  6. I had an apartment, and a job, while attending secondary school at age 16.
  7. I was at Woodstock.
  8. My first drivers license (age 16 again) was for motorcycles; I only obtained a car endorsement years later.
  9. At first, I hated Hawaii and wanted to leave. 22 years ago.
  10. A "near death experience" in 1997 taught me things that influence my life to this day. I don't fear death. . . or life!

A L O H A! Cloudia







18 comments:

claude said...

The hibiscus yellow flower is very beautiful. This flower (specially the red one) is the "state" flower of Martinique island too.
I have two hibiscus red bushes.

Anonymous said...

Well Golly Gee, Cloudia -- If I'd known how much you miss snow, I could send you some. Maybe you'll have to go visit the Big Island and Mauna Kea and get some skiing in too. Love your rowdy timeline...how brave you were when you were so young...hang on to that strong foundation you made for yourself. Aloha, DrumMajor

the walking man said...

I feel the same way...I can sit and watch Hawaii all day long on the travel channel as the blizzards blow ice all over the winter world.


Now tell me The Who were the best band at Woodstock weren't they?

Anonymous said...

I forgot about your near death experience at Kaiser. I am glad you no longer fear death. Good to know, CC.

You were pretty wild at 14, huh? Now if my kids had left home at 14 to hitch hike around the country, I would have been worried sick! And to live away at 16? That, too, would worry me.

I left for my solo journey around the world at age 22 -- a better age! I had a college degree and could support myself teaching English in Thailand.

Akelamalu said...

#4 - such a responsibility but I'm sure you would step up to the plate brilliantly!

#5 & #6 you must have been very mature for your age honey - there's no way I could have done either of those things at that age!

#10 - I would imagine a NDE would make a life changing experience.

Thankyou for playing the meme it was great to learn more about you. x

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award Cloudia. Sounds like your life has been anything but boring. Love the gorgeous flower-- one of my favorites. I also love snow-- as long as it is at a distance. Have a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

After reading 10, I :
Clap ! Clap ! Clap !

Dina said...

Quite a list, Cloudia; I'm impressed!
Especially by No.4. Wow! Good luck.

Thanks so much for your much-needed comment. It is good to share a tear or two with you, sistah.

Having just caught up on your recent posts, I wish the best for your father. Shalom, aloha, ahava.

Dan said...

Wow, great pics. My wife and I lived on the North Shore, just west of Haleiwa near the polo fields from 1980 to 1984. What a wonderful place. To this day, every spring, no matter where we live, I think I can smell plumeria!

LORENZO said...

Your photos depress me! I want to go to Hawaii and see the beauty of your islands.Someday...thanks for sharing.All the best- LL (80's here in NJ today, gotta love it.)

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely signs of a free spirit. I wouldn't have had the guts to leave home so early.

Deborah Godin said...

Wonderful little bits of your life and philosophy, Cloudia. You are an award-winningly intriguing person!!

Gemma Wiseman said...

A powerful post! For me, Hawaii is that fragrant island where the sun is always glorious! Yes! I know! Just a dream! But when the wind is so icy and the clouds are so grey (like today) I think of island colour and beauty!

Feisty Crone said...

Wow, you had an apartment and a job at age 16! Cool!

SandyCarlson said...

YOU hated Hawaii? Wow. Sure would love to hear that story!

Your blog is wonderful. Glad to see you won this award.

Glennis said...

Lovely hibiscus, a good national flower.
I liked some of the unknown fact about you, especially No5 amazing at such a young age. Did you enjoy yourself in safety during that time, maybe youth and innocence would protect you. But I still think you were very brave or extremely foolhardy. My parent would definitely not have allow me to do what you did. The Police would of soon caught up with me and dragged me back home.
Near death experiences do change you life I am sure, thats why we have them! Wake up calls.

Bubblewench said...

You just amaze me over and over.

The Grandpa said...

I miss the peacefulness of snow falling through the pines in a New Hampshire forest. I don't actually miss the blizzards, although I do get nostalgic for a good nor easter every once in a while. There are some amazing parallels between your adolescence and that of my middle son.

Aloha, Cloudia.