Thursday, October 29, 2009

October Morn

A L O H A
Welcome to a Still Morning
Here in Waikiki





photos enlarge with a click!
Aloha, Kolea (Golden Plover)



"The ornaments of your house

will be the guests who frequent it."


Unknown


I HAVE a spine! It's just pink, that's all!




“That old black magic has me in its spell,
That old black magic that you weave so well;
Icy fingers up and down my spine,
The same old witchcraft when your eyes meet mine”
Johnny Mercer





A`ole (No) Opala (Garbage)!



"Water and air,
the two essential fluids on which all life depends,
have become global garbage cans."
Jacques Yves Cousteau





Gentle Skies





"I heard the church bells hollowing out the sky
Deep beyond deep, like never-ending stars."

Sir John Betjeman



I Think We're Alone





"It's often just enough to be with someone.

I don't need to touch them. Not even talk.

A feeling passes between you both.

You're not alone."

Marilyn Monroe





This morning is hazy & still
with a tang of Autumnal chill in the air.
A gentle atmosphere pervades, as if the sky, sea and isle
were rendered in soft pastels.





The kolea,
thin from their trans-pacific flight,
settle in to the broad lawns of their winter territory.




The deep dawning present
expands like a deeply grateful breath.
Filling me with such NOW
that I have no room at all
for future worries or concerns..




Pele's vog wreathes us
hiding Oahu half in myth
like the legendary destination we are;
A living, glittering,
golden treasure
where the sheer intensity of beauty
charms us each away
from chronic ways of seeing,
and being.




Welcome to Waikiki in late October.
A quiet season
with ample time to wander
and waking-dream.




Tomorrow
the freshening Trades will return
pushing winter along
whose clear blue skies
of amazing intensity,
whose hula-swaying palms,
will stir like mesmerized titans.





Mountains so sharp
they inscribe themselves,
incise themselves,
into the viewers heart.




Thanks to El Nino
it should be a cool,
dry,
subtropical winter.




Twain called it "eternal Summer"
in the "loveliest fleet of islands
anchored in any ocean."






So welcome to Waikiki
in late October.




ALOHA, Honored Guest! cloudia

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, CC, but it is NOT eternal summer in January! Nope. When the temperature drops to 55 degrees at Honolulu Airport, I call that frigid. Remember: No heating in Hawaii homes, so we have to bundle up with sweaters, bathrobes, and flannel. And shut all the windows!

Anonymous said...

Friends are asset forever.

claude said...

Glad to meet a kolea.
The leaf is very curious but beautiful.
Over here october is ending in a nice weather. We have a beautiful indian summer.
ALOHA CLOUDIA !

the walking man said...

Ever thought about trading abodes with someone for a season?...Say Winter and trading with someone in Detroit say for example?

wenn said...

ya..nobody is alone..depends on how we feel it..

Charles Gramlich said...

What's the coldest it ever gets in Hawaii?

Teresa said...

We're "freezing" at 48 this morning in So Cal, so I'm glad for a breath of warm Hawaiian air.

Go Phillies! I guess if the Angels lost it's so the angel in your family will get to see his favorite team win!! (The problem with a team that has "heavenly" connections... they always give the game away to the people who pray the hardest ;-)

Daryl said...

I am so laughing at everyone's comments about how cold it is there ...

Cold? 55 isnt cold ...

Aloha from NYC where its fall and the winds are brisk

Anonymous said...

Mr. Plover looks like he's wearing a tweed jacket.
DrumMajor

Marguerite said...

80 degrees and rainy, here in Cajun Country. I love it warm and only wish that I could "winter" in Hawaii. Lovely quotes and photos, cher! Aloha!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I so love your lamp and sky shot!
<><

Akelamalu said...

We've been having an Indian summer here this week - 18 degrees Centigrade! However, the forecast is for gales and rain this weekend. :(

Deborah Godin said...

More beautiful moments, beautiful glimpses of paradise. Thank you, thank you.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

El Nino means wet weather for Southern California but we welcome it!

Pink spines and icy fingers, sounds like a snazzy title.

distresseddamsel said...

It is the very first time I have seen a leaf with a pink spine. And it is this oddity that makes it unique and beautiful.From your pictures, I can tell how fantastic Hawaii is. I am hoping that next summer my hubby would agree to have our vacation there.

Anonymous said...

Neither past, nor future, eternal presence - reminding that it is one place we share to live in.
Even here in Athens, I am still able to sleep without a blanket as there are still about 70F outside.
However November is soon to come and bets start, whether there will be snow this year or not.
A wonderful Friday for you.

Fireblossom said...

I love Johnny Mercer's songs, and I like That Old Black Magic in particular, especially as done by Keely Smith and Louis Prima!

gabrielle said...

Keely Smith singing Lullaby of Leaves
a steaming glass of mulled cider
nothing speaks of autumn live cloves
and orange peel
I believe Marilyn had a pink spine
And I remember her strength

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

There's A Present For Your Blog on my blog. Take it :)

magiceye said...

loved your post!

namaste /\
aloha!

Kay said...

Sweaters, Bathrobes and flannel? No way, Gigi. Sorry. I must still be in the Midwest Illinois mode. When it's 55 in Chicago in spring, people are known for walking around in t-shirts. I don't think I've seen 55 here where I live on Oahu. I'm in shorts almost all year long.

And that vog! Arrrrghhh! I'm really, really tired of it. I sure hope it's gone tomorrow. Sigh.

Have a great, sparkling cooler weekend, Cloudia.

Anonymous said...

Good post Cloudia. Aloha.

Cloudia said...

I guess it might get into the 50's at night in some places here on Oahu. Remember, it's cool up in the mountains at night. Atop Mauna Kea there will be snow!
But here in Waikiki, upper 60's at night feels like winter enough -blankets!

Thanks for visiting friends!