Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Poem of Night

ALOHA

Welcome, Friend,
to the Time of Mystery


click on photos to enter deepest night

"The man who has seen the rising moon break out of the clouds at midnight

has been present like an archangel at the creation of light and of the world"

Ralph Waldo Emerson


"No sight is more productive of awe than is the night sky."

Llewelyn Powys



Poems written upon awakening at dawn are called aubades.

"The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.

Don't go back to sleep.

Rumi


><>


Watching a small film called Three Days of Rain
inspired the poem below.
Some of you know that my Hawaii novel Aloha Where You Like Go
largely takes place in a Honolulu taxi at night.
The film took me right back to the taxi - and to the sacred night. . .
At the bottom of this blog you will see the cover of my book.
You may click on it to go to Amazon.com and read over 25 reviews!

<><


Things seen at night
fill me with delight.
They have a "not quite"
that somehow shows their deeper true.

All cats are gray
and pass on little mist feet.


A raindrop's path
down a pane of glass
is the timeline of an empire
too much to know:
dissolving,
freezing Master Mind.
Inconsequential words
are freighted with
eternity.

Inner seas hold sway-
till the light changes
and we continue
on our way.


We've reached your destination;
Thanks for riding along!


ALOHA, cloudia

27 comments:

claude said...

I love the first quote and the photo of the moon.
The poem seems very beautiful but the translating in french does not allow me to appreciate it very well.
Aloha, Cloudia !

the walking man said...

Aye that changing of the light certainly brings a change of the mind.

jingle said...

inspiring.

Akelamalu said...

Lovely photos Cloudia. x

Reader Wil said...

How important light is, shall we realise if we miss it. Moonlight, even if it's indirect light from the sun, adds a mysterious value to a dark and cold world, which is our world in Northern Europe now. Have a great and lovely day, Cloudia!

SandyCarlson said...

I like this poem very much. Thinking of the drop on the windowpane as the timeline of an empire. Yes. Wow.

And Rumi. I will listen.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! There is something so peaceful about looking up at a night sky.

Mark Kreider said...

Today's new word, aubades... a special word thought for a special time of day when lovers must separate because the real world intervenes. How beautiful and though provoking. Thank you!

BLOGitse said...

Aloha,
from Cairo! :)

http://BLOGitse.blogspot.com

Couture Carrie said...

Lovely quotes and pics, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Pearl said...

Love it!

And your book sounds fascinating.

Pearl

Charles Gramlich said...

great poem. I love the "little mist feet." So perfect a description of cats walking.

The Grandpa said...

Nicely done, and the the picture of the moon with the quote from Emerson is a perfect matching. But I liked best the picture of the skyline at night. My last time in Boston our hotel window looked out across the Charlse River and I had a perfect nighttime view of Cambridge. I spent a long time at the window with my camera photographing the city at night. Aloha, Cloudia.

Marguerite said...

Nice shot of the moon and skyline! I don't know about getting up at dawn, though. lol Aloha, cher!

Barrie said...

Very creative!

Lana Gramlich said...

Lovely night shots & beautiful poem. :)

Cloudia said...

Thank you sleepy-heads!

Anonymous said...

good
cj

Jo said...

I would love to read your book. I love, love, love Hawaii.

Georgeous photos, by the way. :-)

Anonymous said...

really evocative.
v

Anonymous said...

That's why I am so much in love with rain. Please have a wonderful Wednesday.

Unknown said...

Lovely photos, wondreful poem, and I LOVE the Rumi quote.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

I love the night and the moon.

Your poem is beautiful and really captures so much of the feeling.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

I love the night and the moon.

Your poem is beautiful and really captures so much of the feeling.

Fireblossom said...

"All cats are gray in the dark." Love the little mist feet too!

I once read an absolutely gorgeous erotic love story called "All Cats Are Gray."

Teresa said...

I love this post, Cloudia. The photos are spectacular and the poem is very cool.

Feisty Crone said...

I love these night photos! Amazing!