Thursday, June 10, 2010

Shooting Rules

ALOHA, YOU!



Click on the Clouds :)


"The one serious conviction
that a man should have
is that nothing is to be taken too seriously."

Nicholas Butler

(Women already know not to take any man too seriously :)




"Nature gives you the face you have at twenty;
it is up to you to merit the face you have at fifty."
Coco Chanel




"Writing stories permits me to talk to anybody.
In multicultural Hawaii, that's marvelously exciting
because each person is unique. It's a constant adventure.
My job puts me right in the middle of the evolving identity
of Honolulu."

Bob Krauss


><>

Shooting Rules

If you stop to look at the pictures you've already taken today,
you'll miss the next great shot!

So here are my rules for photo safari.

Never leave home without a camera.

Look up, look down, look at different angles.

It's digital, not film. Just shoot it!

Shoot a quick "insurance shot"
then take others.
Often the first shot is best!

Notice where the sun is
and have it behind you, unless you are trying to
shoot brightness around flat subjects.

Cloudia's Golden Rule of shooting:
Don't make anyone uncomfortable.
(Be discreet, be nice, don't be paparazzi-rude)

Now, back in the day, people really noticed a camera.
Today, every mobile phone has one.
We shoot and Tweet and post to the web
instantaneously.

Most of us realize that we are in public
and behave accordingly.

And here in Waikiki
EVERYONE is carrying a camera!
I just hide in plain sight :)

We've gotten used to security cameras in many public places too.
So expectations of privacy have definitely evolved.
(Eroded?)

I use misdirection sometimes,
setting the camera for the intended shot
while facing another direction,
then sweeping smoothly in an arc,
capturing my quarry "on the fly."

Or from a distance using zoom.

The interesting subject can then be cropped
into a better composition later.

Photography used to be about creating an image
largely on the camera in the moment.
Now we just capture the data we need,
then crop/Picasa/ Photo Shop it later!

For subjects with tattoos, faces, outfits, activities
that you want to really focus on?

Just ask politely,
then shut up and let them answer,
no cajoling or explaining (I'm a blogger)
or promising (I won't post you to Freaks.com).

If they say "yes" be quick!
(No multiple shots)

If they say "no" stay nice,
and simply walk on (nicely).


It's a good idea to ask before shooting
children or pets.
But, again, within the golden rule,
public is public!

I have lost GREAT shots by asking permission.
The person invariably STOPS doing the interesting thing
and then they pose boringly.

Sometimes art demands innocent subterfuge.

Fortunately, one nice thing about being a
middle aged woman
is that one is largely invisible.
I can wander anywhere in my harmless-ness.

So what are YOUR shooting rules?

Thanks! cloudia







22 comments:

Daryl said...

My rules are simple, I ask permission in shops, I shoot people on the street but exclude their faces ... I am much more about scenery than people shooting but lately I have taken shots of strangers and not felt the need to ask ... I am bad

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I have no rules. I'm bad too.
<><

Hilary said...

I don't feel compelled to ask an adult but I will ask a parent if I can use the photo of their child on the blog. I do feel the need to explain the blog part because that's a lot more than just asking if I can photograph them. I don't feel the same need to ask if the face is not fully visible in the shot.

Charles Gramlich said...

Lana loves the freedom of her digital cameras.

Brian Miller said...

wow. so many rules to shooting, no wonder my pictures turn out the way they do...lol. have a wonderful weekend!

Ms. Gibson said...

Being invisible in middle age...so true. I used to be quite a Head-Turner...back in the day.
I always love visiting your blog. So colorful, so cheerful. I borrowed your idea of including an interesting quote,...in my last post.
Aloha/Namaste

Cloudia said...

Jolly!

Yeah, gotta be sensitive with kids...

Full-On-Forward said...

I have largely stayed away from people, as I haven't been able to got out and about, unless it's on a mission to the store.

But I'm strating to take the camera every where and am fixing to buy a profeesional grade--more than my 6 mp Samsung.

These rules helped ME greatly, as I only knew a few re: people.

My rule is to

Shoot, Shoot Shoot...all angles, distances etc... if it catches your eye in ANY way--Shoot it!

DEVELOP "WOODS EYES"...spend TIME just looking and esp, looking for DETAILS--then the bigh stuff will smack you in the face, and you'll start seeing--LIFE and pics in the tiniest of stuff.

WALK SLOWLY, BE PATIENT!

and most of all,

HAVE FUN!

My general rule of thumb, unless, and even if you have time to compose the shot--is it takes about 50 average ones, to get one Great one!

But with digital--who cares.

EXTRA BATTERIES, Memory Card if needed, BE PREPARED!

John

Cloudia said...

great advice, John

Anonymous said...

cheese!

jodi

SandyCarlson said...

I like your rules. Thanks for sharing them. And I love that stencil graffiti a whole lot.

Anonymous said...

Dear Cloudia, hope you are fine, this is a great entry indeed. With regard to people, I take pictures of them when they are either alseep, not knowing me taking (my secret camera) or from behind their back.
Trying to show their character and importance they play. Interesting as I just thought of today, of sharing 100 people from this city.
Whenever asked, most of them said yes. With regard to buildings, I try to find their better side. Please have a great Friday.

daily athens

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Eeee cute little dog. Rule is shoot but don't kill haha. Yes you will lose GREAT shot if you start to ask. Have a clear conscience as long as the pix meant well no harm to anybody snap all the way.

Teresa said...

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed this trip into your world.

Marguerite said...

I like to be spontaneous. I only ask if I'm getting bad vibes. :) Happy Friday, cher! Aloha!

Unseen Rajasthan said...

You have got some nice set of Rules !!I liked this post !!Unseen Rajasthan

Dave King said...

These days I'd always ask where children are concerned. Interesting and thoughtful post.

irinapictures said...

My shooting rules are: don't be lazy to move, rise and drop to get good photo angle; smile; be attentive to the world around me. And never! never weigh my bag, otherwise I will be amazed how heavy it is with camera and my painting gear and all necessary women's stuff inside it :-))

Couture Carrie said...

Cute pup!!

Have a fab weekend, darling!

xoxox,
CC

foongpc said...

Hi Cloudia! Congrats you are First Commenter on my blog! All First Commenters receive a linky love from me! I'm using your front book cover for that - hope you don't mind! : )

Cloudia said...

YOU add so much to this wonderful comments zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kay said...

You've pretty much hit mine, too. I don't take photos of people on the street much though. I just feel funny about.