Thursday, June 2, 2011

Shower Tree

A l o h a !

 click on these bonnie pictures:
Honolulu adopted the rainbow shower tree
as our official tree in 1965.
This one is white, or cream. 


"If you would know strength
and patience, 
welcome the company of trees."

Hal Borland








April to November 
floral explosions 
fill our sky with GLORY!


"To heal mine aching moods,
Give me God's virgin woods."

Clinton Scollard


 





The Rainbow Variety

"Long, sparkling aisles of steel-stemmed trees
Bending to counterfeit a breeze."

James R. Russell








The rainbow shower tree (Cassia x nealiae
is a hybrid cross between the golden shower (C. fistula
and the pink and white shower (C. javanica).
  Due to plant-genetics, no two trees are alike.


"I hear the wind among the trees
Playing the celestial symphonies;
I see the branches downward bent,
Like keys of some great instrument."

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow





Honolulu's "official" rainbow shower is the Wilhelmina Tenney. The tree started life in 1920 as a seedling on Lunalilo Street in our Makiki neighborhood by neighbors of the Tenney family. After the tree was propagated, a Tenney daughter, Wilhelmina (1891-1951) gave material to Foster Garden.
 
 
 
 
“Like branches on a tree
we grow in different directions,
yet our roots remain as one.
Each of our lives will always
be a special part of the other.” 

Anonymous
 

 Such litter, glitters!


"As the poet said, 'only God can make a tree' -
probably because it's so hard to figure out
how to get the bark on."

Woody Allen
 


  ><}}(°>

<°)}}><



The shower tree is a flower tree,
her boughs bearing
bounteous bouquets- 

it quite bedazzles!
 
Kindly leave a word blossom
                                                in comments :) cloudia

37 comments:

Kavita Saharia said...

I have just one word :Gorgeous !

Kavita Saharia said...

And we call these 'Sonaru' here .

Daryl said...

Gorgeous .. sadly all our flowering trees have shed their blossoms and are full green now

Hilary said...

Just beautiful. We're still at the tail end of blossoming season.

Charles Gramlich said...

That massive pile of blooms. almost overwhelming.

21 Wits said...

Oh yes! I believe I can smell these lovely flowers all the way over here! Lovely!

Myrna R. said...

These are so beautiful. Each tree bedazzles. Nice to think of ourselves as blossoms.

Anonymous said...

yes, there are shower trees in India, too, as Kavita said above.

Travis Erwin said...

Beautiful. We simply do not have foliage like that here in my area of Texas.

Marguerite said...

Such lovely trees and blossoms! love that Longfellow quote, too! Happy June!

Linnea said...

Only in Hawaii! It's a gorgeous tree with so many different shades...thanks for stopping by. I always enjoy my visits to your Hawaii!

Lynn said...

How lovely!

Betty Manousos said...

how beautiful blooms@

gorgeous photos!!

big hugs!

Betty Manousos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nanny said...

That is the prettiest tree I think I have ever seen. I can only imagine how breathtaking it is in person!!
Wise decision Honolulu!!!

Hattie said...

Our Royal Poinciana is in bloom. It's probably the biggest and most beautiful one in the world. I must take pix of it in its full glory for my blog.
We do have the loveliest flowering trees in Hawaii.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Must be nice to live in paradise!

Lana Gramlich said...

Fantastic, and what a lovely name for them!

G-Man said...

I thought all you guys had was Palm Trees...:P

Cloudia said...

Kavita- you inspired this post by showing Sonaru on your blog :)


Thanks to EACH of YOU!

Anonymous said...

the blossoms feel as if they are made of light. a great interpretation of yesterdays quote.


daily athens

Commander Zaius said...

Would love to have some time in some deep and dark woods where there are no human sounds. Great post!

Elephant's Child said...

Truly beautiful and evocative of the regrowth of spring. Thanks.

Windsmoke. said...

Trees are the lungs of the earth but we keep chopping 'em down, one day when no trees are left we will suffocate. The Woody Allen quote made me smile :-).

Sebab said...

Beautiful!

Cloudia said...

Such a jolly party!!!!!

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Comforting pictures !

DeniseinVA said...

I would love to see that for myself. Absolutely magical!

bichonpawz said...

So very beautiful Cloudia!!! Hope you have a fabulous weekend!!

Rajesh said...

Beautiful flowering trees.

Samantha said...

So beautiful, Cloudia!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I would love a shower tree in my garden, wonder if they would grow in Perth temperatures?

Freda said...

You do colour like no-one else. Brilliance and beauty, thanks.

Erika said...

It' s wonderful, this tree, like its name.
I don't know if there are some in Italy.
Have a nice w.e.
Aloha from Italy

Rick said...

I can absolutely understand why that tree was adopted as the official tree - it's stunning ! Great shots.

Aloha !

Full-On-Forward said...

They cut down all the trees around the house and it was 5-8 degrees hotter inside because the stole our shade. Hardwoods--that God figured out how to put the Bark on!

I cried, and we lost a Cat today--along with the trees--He honestly just vanished!! An indoor cat- GONE amidst all the noise and raping of the Landlord's home because he said the trees were damaging it!

100 years to grow--4 hours to cut down and haul off!

No shade--No cat!

I'm sad.

Sorry--but the bark quote got me going!

HFTEC

J

nazelet said...

I was I left comment last night but since I don't see it I post another. Your posts are both beautiful and inspirational. I'm happy to be back blogging.