Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Goddess Sighting



Aloha,  Friend!



"Youth, large, lusty, loving -- 
Youth, full of grace, force, fascination.
Do you know that Old Age may come after you
with equal grace, force, fascination?"
Walt Whitman







"When you possess light within,
                                                       you see it externally." 

       Anaïs Nin








The saint is the one
who walks through the dark paths
of the world, 
himself a light."

Felix Adler






If you must speak ill of another,
do not speak it,
write it in the sand
near the water's edge."

Napoleon Hill






Time To Go!


"Inside my empty bottle
I was constructing a lighthouse
while all the others were making ships."

Charles Simic




<<:>>




The Hawaiian Goddess of the volcano,
the builder of these isles,
is mostly associated with the Big Island 
where she is still pouring
hot lava,
and still regarded by Hawaiians
(real, ethnic Hawaiians)
as 'Tutu Pele'  Grandmother Pele. 
It is in those lands that she is most often seen.

She can be young & beautiful, 
or incredibly aged - 
and beautiful in a different way.

There are stories of locals
giving Pele a ride without knowing it- 
till later.

Like after the lovely young Hawaiian girl
riding in the car with them
begins to seem more mature
than they first had thought;
till she lights a proffered cigarette
with her finger tip
and asks to get out no where in particular
as a smiling great grandmother.


The day I saw Pele
I was riding my motorcycle
down the last stretch of Kaena Point coast road

along Keawaula Beach,

(better known as Yokohama Bay 
or 'Yokes')
all the way out on Oahu's western tip;
considered a leaping-off place 
for souls leaving this world.
Riding along in the flower of my years
I noticed an aged Hawaiian woman
walking on the roadside with her little dog.
She radiated - something-
taught me - something-
all without a glance,
greeting, or words

Seeing her opened wisdom to me, 
like a gift.
I saw how little it takes to be happy
when one is open to the simple glory
that surrounds.

"A place to sleep out of the rain,
a day relatively free of pain,
a companionable pet
disability and death:
not yet."

An insight, a grace, a gift.
I sometimes think of that
when I'm bereft.

How little it really takes
to be a slightly stooped goddess
walking down this road. . .


Thanks for walking with me a ways.
Your comment is a lovely gift; leave one! 
         warmly, cloudia



29 comments:

Teresa said...

A Pele sighting!! You are blessed, my friend.

Elephant's Child said...

Truly blessed. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

The Nin quote is amazing ! Thank you ! Please have a wonderful new month.

daily athens

Unknown said...

The gift the old woman gave to you, is of the best kind. I live for those moments.

Sending a hug!

Kay said...

Wow! You got to see Pele? That's fabulous. I've heard of it, of course. She certainly left you with wisdome and a capacity for seeing beauty and grace everywhere.

Windsmoke. said...

I watched a documentary last year about volcanos around the pacific rim and your Hawaiian Goddess Tutu Pele was featured. From memory i think the scientists said that your island is growing about 20 square metres a month or a year, i'm not sure which one because of the lava flow. So Tutu Pele is a true Goddess to the Hawaiian people indeed :-).

SandyCarlson said...

I love this post. Those quotes make my day.

Today we were drafting a letter to the writer Walter Dean Myers, whose memoir is titled, Bad Boy. One of the girls said she would ask him, were he to enter the room, "If you could go back in time and do it over, would you be a good boy?" Another child said, "That's silly; there's no going back in time." So wise. We can only live well now.

Kavita Saharia said...

Got goosebumps reading Pele ...blessed .Loved Napoleon Hill quote .Thanks for the wisdom shared:)

Feisty Crone said...

Pele! I'm jealous! I love the Nin quote also, and try to keep my inner light always bright.

Snaggle Tooth said...

A beautiful story! Lucky you to be so blessed with a Tutu Pele sighting n become full of wisdom.
Photos n quotes wonderful as always.
Aloha!

Full-On-Forward said...

YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE--WITH EVERY POST YOU MAKE! The Pastor who is over our Medical Outreach is the Son of a Tribal Chief: His name- Pele!!!

YOU ARE TRULY BLESSED C !!!!!!

Keep it on TOP OF THE HILL! So the whole World can see You!!! This blessed me so much--esp. Today!


HUGS FRIEND,

J

Cloudia said...

Thanks for stopping by - you make my DAY!

magiceye said...

fascinating!

namaste /\ from mumbai
aloha!

Betty Manousos said...

you never fail to inspire me, my wonderful friend! :)

love the photos, especially the one with the boat.
stunning!

alohaaaaa!!!!
b xx

Charles Gramlich said...

Love those stories of folks giving rides to supernatural beings. they always creep me out, but in a good way.

Magia da Inês said...

Muito bonito!
Beijinhos.
Brasil
°º♫
°º✿
º° ✿♥ ♫° ·.

Reanaclaire said...

Another enlightening post, Cloudia!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'If you must speak ill of another,
do not speak it,
write it in the sand
near the water's edge."

Napoleon Hill'

Reasonable. I think I would like to move on and hopefully with God's help would get a chance to think better of someone.

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully serene shots!

Anonymous said...

Your post has made me smile this morning. It is going to be a good day.

Dave King said...

Anaïs Nin says it all for me.

Indrani said...

This is a terrific post.
Thanks my friend.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. Thanks for sharing!

Lynn said...

I love this thought of Pele. How lovely! And happiness bringing simple glory - that's the best though of all.

TALON said...

Beautiful and so true, Cloudia - the little things truly mean so much.

I loved the Anaïs Nin quote. Wise and so very true.

Myrna R. said...

I love this post- the quotes and your experience. May Pele always walk with you.

21 Wits said...

What great quotes to bring along with my thoughts today...lovely..as for old age...I want to live young always....never accept growing old... I read a great quote today, "It takes a long time to grow young!"- Pablo Picasso (but of course!)

irinapictures said...

The quotes in your blog make me stronger.

Cloudia said...

Thank YOU each!


(And thanks for the Picasso quote - look for it soon :)