Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Film That Changed You?

Aloha!
click on photos to enlarge
Photo: Clark Little (c) From the sublime. . .


"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
Ludwig Wittgenstein

. . . to the ridiculous.

"Novelty keeps us spry, and it cleans up after itself by being gone in a minute."
Peter Schjdahl

There are many different kinds of wars, and of veterans



"It was, I think, the fact that I really had participated in death, that I knew what death was, and had almost experienced it. I had what the Christians call a 'beatific vision,' and the Greeks called 'the happy day,' the happy vision just before death. Now if you have had that, and survived it, come back from it, you are no longer like other people, and there's no use deceiving yourself that you are."
Katherine Anne Porter



Every artist tries to share their unique vision of that which we all experience (if we are paying attention). In successful art and literature, these universals meet a particular vision and setting - "particulars" very different from our own. If the work is successful, we willingly suspend our disbelief and BECOME the person in the story we are watching or reading. We lose ourselves and find "knowing" all at the same time.

I did not grow up in an Italian coastal village in the 1930s - but Fellini did. Today his "coming of age" film Amarcord ("I remember") was shown uninterrupted on IFC. With a father in his final hours or days, and a life that has consisted largely of "saying goodbye" for months now, I was primed to be someone very different for a while.

Amarcord provides me with an added dimension, in that I first saw it as a callow youth when it "came out" in the 1970's. Thus, today I could become Italian and also renew acquaintance with the kid who first saw the film. In what ways is there more richness to it than I appreciated back then? What images have stayed in my head all these years? I certainly remembered the grandfather at the family picnic who climbs a tall tree and shouts: "I want a woman" for hours. The image of the angry father taking a bite out of a hat could have been Homer Simpson - or my dad. The dreamy scenes of falling snow, and coastal fogs, made me a dazzled child again.

Lots of folks like "BIG" movies, and BLOCKBUSTER novels with over-the-top goings on. But there is something truly golden about an artist who doesn't trumpet a "MESSAGE" or "ANSWER" but rather provokes our own interior conversations with a work that unfolds like Proust's Madelaine, giving off new flavors & appreciations as our mind's palate matures.

Another version of the universal story that I like is the film Avalon by Barry Levinson. The Trouble With Angel's, starring Hailey Mills also reminds me of the "me" I was growing up, and the world where I came of age.

Now it's YOUR turn. Tell us a film or book that touched your imagination, provoking YOUR yearning and excellence.

As a character in Amarcord says: "Silence is golden; but words are silver."

A L O H A! Cloudia




18 comments:

Reader Wil said...

I was very much impressed by the movie of the life of Ghandi, the great Indian non violent activist. I admire him as I admire Buddha, and I worship Jesus.I think if the world lived like the three of them, there will be no war and hatred any more, and nobody will be crucified, and women will be treated with the same respect and equal rights men demand.

the walking man said...

The very first book I remember reading, the one I picked all by my self and read from front to finish is the one I never forgot. The Babe Ruth Story by Bob Considine. It was the first of thousands that I have forgotten but it was that book, the portrayal of the man, that captured me and never let me go.

Christine Gram said...

Two films:
Wings of Desire (the one in German)
and
Female Perversions

Anonymous said...

That first pic is just awesome!

Wil Harrison.com

Daryl said...

Avalon definitely touched a nerve for me .. the grandfather played by Armin Mueller-Stahl looked like my own grandfather's twin... right down to the carpenter's overalls....

As always a thought provoking post w/amazing images!

Aloha!

Charles Gramlich said...

Good point that there's much to be said for an approach that leads us to think rather than just roll in sensations.

Akelamalu said...

The Academy of Farts picture reduced me to tears - of laughter!

I'm a sucker for toilet humour. :)

A book that really made me think and changed my life was 'The Celestine Prophecy'. After reading that everything I'd been thinking seemed to make sense. :)

Deborah Godin said...

A book...no, THE book that touched me and fired my imagination was Frannie and Zooey, because it clued me in to the idea that one could (or, I could) actually have such a thing as a spiritual life. Happily, I discovered this book in my 20s. I hope to god they never make a movie out of it. I think it's a safe bet Salinger wouldn't allow it to be made, but I would never see it, not even if it starred Claire Danes, who would be perfect.

Carver said...

Great photographs and such an interesting post. I also enjoyed your posts on your other sites but didn't see a place to comment. There have been so many books and films which have captured my heart and imagination that it's hard to know where to start. A non-fiction book I've recently read, "Three Cups of Tea" about a climber who started schools for girls in Pakistan is one that touched me deeply. Thinking back farther, for some reason, the somewhat bizarre book "The World According to Garp" captured me imaginatively.

Cloudia said...

Reader Wil: Thanks!

Walking Man: Goood comment.

Grazi, Christine!

Wil: He's amazing, isn't he?

Daryl: We're related, right?

Charles: Well put, fisherman.

Ake: On this day I made one lady on the other side of the globe laugh! I'm so happy ;-)

Deborah: Fitting!

Carver: Yes, Garp is a tour de force!

Thanks and aloha you lovely people !!

Anonymous said...

Cool group here. gonna check out some of these bloggers.

Heff said...

Silence IS golden, but the "Academy of Farts" had me crackin' up !

Rufus said...

ACADEMY OF FARTS!!!!! lol

Anonymous said...

sublime and ridiculous. very good.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I was around 10 and I heard my parents talking about the movie "Three Faces of Eve", it was coming on TV. I wanted to watch it but my mother freaked out and sent me to bed. What a brat I was. I crawled out on the carpet and watched it, peeking around the corner from the hallway. I was so amazed that somebody could actually have multiple personalities. Perhaps that revelation led to my decision to become a writer, and how I became so interested in the human condition.

I love Fellini. And The World According to Garp.

Feisty Crone said...

The book David Copperfield always makes me weep at the end.

My favorite movie is The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, an oldie but a goodie.

Bubblewench said...

I was addicted to Shirley Temple movies. I do still love 'The Trouble With Angel's' and always Heidi, and Pippi... I guess I was a dreamer..

nonizamboni said...

Very thought provoking post, my dear. Avalon is my favorite of Levenson's Baltimore trilogy. I came to America in 1914. . . and the immigrant experience a favorite theme of mine. [That's probably why I'm still waiting for the short-lived Brooklyn Bridge to come out on DVD] :O)
Thanks for another great opportunity to think. Happy Wednesday!