Thursday, April 1, 2010

Advice to American Idol Kids

"What is man but his passion?"

Robert Penn Warren



Moon man on a palm trunk


"I've always thought respectable people scoundrels,
and I look anxiously at my face every morning
for signs of my becoming a scoundrel."

George Bernard Shaw




"I'd rather have roses on my table
than diamonds on my neck."

Emma Goldman

><>



One of my college classes that has stayed with me
is a class that I took on Rock & Roll.

I thought it would be an easy course
because I lived through most the history of Rock.
I got the music in me!
Heck, I was even at Woodstock
(click HERE to read about that.)

When the professor offered extra credit
to anyone who would get up
and dance the "Twist"
I twisted my way to those extra points!
The kids in the class already knew
that I was an old weirdo.
(And that was even a few years back! :)


Of course, I learned all of the things that I DID'NT know!
Like those swooping, wavering notes beloved of Gospel, Soul and Rock?
I learned that there is a name for that.
That is called a:
"Melisma.'

Definitions of Melisma on the Web:


Gregorian chant?!


Those contestants on American Idol sure love those melisma, don't they?

Well kids, what I want you to know
is that you have to
EARN
your melisma!

You gotta build up to them.

They only refresh the ear
and exalt the spirit
when the come AFTER something,
something relatively straight-forward and excellent,
like a well-done presentation
of the basic song itself.

It is the build-up,
the change,
and not mere VOLUME
that gives those vocal
swallow swoops
their majesty.

You need to know the rules,
like any artist must,
before you can break them
to release the creativity
that is yours alone.

Great songs have a sway,
a motive force all their own,
an inertia,
internal guidance,
and a drive
that no amount of
volume
or
vocal swooping
can replace.

First, (please) just sing the song well.

Then you can make us HEAR and FEEL
the note you extend like a wailing soul,
the beat that you skip.

Make us wait for it,
long for it,
STARVE for it!

Then come in like an insinuation,
make it look hard!
Make us wonder if you have it in you.
Make us hold our breath,
make us BEG you for it!
Then let your voice loose;

Then let your talent soar
and we will ascend with it.


Take it from an old weirdo!



ALOHA, cloudia


27 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. So they taught you all that at UH???? Way to go, kid!

Madama Sebastian said...

Thank you for the visit and comment....

You always have something to laugh as well as to think....

Aloha

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Happy Easter dear friend!

Dinesh chandra said...

Hi how r u good post.

Regards

Dines Chandra

Mike Minzes said...

Music has something for everybody! EVERYBODY!! lol

Anonymous said...

I am so uninspired by this year's IDOL. And the people involved!

the walking man said...

so in your college class it became official....you are twisted? Just like I thought sista'

roughterrain crane said...

I haven't noticed you are a ROCKER. Great!

laughingwolf said...

happy april fools' day! ;)

Rosaria Williams said...

Melisma! Sounds like a choral encouragement! Lovely word! Excellent advice to Idol kids.

Fireblossom said...

I have never watched "American Idol", not do I have any plans to. (I also have no plans to become respectable.) Oversinging, though, is just annoying. As you say, in any creative medium, one must know and understand how to do it the accepted way, and only when one has mastered that, then, go in your own direction.

I used to sit, bored, in class in high school, writing down the lyrics of songs I liked, from memory. I immersed myself in music, and shortly after, in poetry as well, and learned how others were able to do what they did. I can write many forms and styles, but it has only been after learning all of that, that I feel completely at ease letting it rip in my own way. I break poetic conventions all over the place...but not because I don't know how it "should" be done, or can't do it that way. This is a fantastic post.

Teresa said...

So are you planning to move to Hollywood and become a voice coach?

who said...

I love posts with good advice, informative links, and personal stories.

My mind is unclean and tends to get off track, but I learn well when taught and I should leave it at that.
( cause I have a tendency to say stupid things )

This post was good, thank you

Mehmet Osman Çağlar said...

Aloha from Türkiye my dear friend.

all of them ver good, but "I'd rather have roses on my table
than diamonds on my neck.",is the best!

Am I wrong?

Akelamalu said...

Rock on!

I love the moon man on the tree. :)

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous pics and quotes as usual, darling Cloudia!

xoxox,
CC

Anonymous said...

You for sure are able to see and hear things different. Thank you.

Please have you all a nice Good Friday.

Ileana said...

I love your passion in this post. LOVE IT!!

SandyCarlson said...

Marvelous advice. That is cool. I love the word. Made me think of that other gem, glissendo.

magiceye said...

brilliant!

namaste /\ from mumbai
aloha!

Glennis said...

Now that's also a good tree photo!!!

Twisted credits! I like that.

Hilary said...

What a clever old weirdo! :)

Peter Stone said...

Great collection of quotes, and melisma? Never heard of that word before. I play the piano, but you really don't want to hear me sing, LOL.

Cloudia said...

Wonderful; Thanks!

Full-On-Forward said...

EYE and HEART CANDY!!! What again another beautiful Prose and Pictoral!

Thanks for the effort- even though I have a sneaking feeling you LOVE it!

John

Here's to a Glorious Easter for you Dear Cloudia!!

Junosmom said...

I'd rather dandelions from my child than roses.

who said...

Ohhh now I get it. (charter is just a pen name, your real last name is Slocum)