Friday, February 6, 2009

Climbing Pu`u O Kaimuki

Click on photos to enlarge! Path up Pu`u O Kaimuki.
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature." Anne Frank



Once up da hill, you can see Maunalua Bay with

it's 2 (Lua) Mountains (Mauna): Koko Head (pointy one)

and the "other one."





























You can look right into the lip of Diamond Head.



"Learning how to operate a soul figures to take time." Timothy Leary



"They deem me mad for I will not sell my days for gold; I deem them mad for they think my days have a price."
Kahlil Gibran








This is the vintage (but still used) tower of a Fire House. The Spanish style tower is for drying hoses! See the houses going up Whilemena Rise?













Punchbowl Crater, site of the National Memorial Cemetary of the Pacific - Military heros including President Obama's Grandfather, Stanley Dunham, lie here- at the right of photo. Urban Honolulu and Waikiki Highrise hotels to the left.






Closer look at Punchbowl, right side of photo.





Back around to Waikiki & ocean horizon











Look at the tiny cars! House lots running up Willhemina Rise originally sold for eight cents a square foot, nine cents for corner lots.





Sometimes the extraordinary is hiding in plain sight.
For over twenty years I have driven right past the Kaimuki Fire House without thinking much about the hill that looms over it. I'd been close to a treasure without even knowing it! This Pu`u (poo - oo) or "hill," the high point of the neighborhood, is today crowned by the tiny Pu`u O Kaimuki Park.
Site of Hawaiian cultural practices in "pre-history," one-time home to a water tank, and to an early astronomical observatory, the Pu`u watched the arrival of the original Hawaiians, saw the first European sailing ships, and oversaw the growth of our Honolulu Town.


I have always loved Honolulu's classic little Kaimuki neighborhood with it's main commercial street ("High Street") of Waialae Avenue. Strolling the avenue, one finds a few remaining "mom and pop" businesses and restaurants, beside culinary gems offering everything from classic diner food (Big City Diner) to Asian, Mexican, French & Mediterranean fare.
Kaimuki was actually the first large subdivision outside of Honolulu (though now a part of the City & County). In 1898 two businessmen bought 520 acres of land here for 20,000 dollars, envisioning a lucrative, high class residential area where only rocky hills and hardscrabble dairy farms existed. Fee simple house lots were offered for 400 to 600 dollars each; but without paved roads it was a hard sell. Potential buyers were even offered a 50 dollar "Bounty" for every baby born in Kaimuki!

Eventually, the parched red dirt did yield to civilization beginning around this very Pu`u (Hill) O Kaimuki, behind the fire station. Today, Beth and I climbed the short, paved lane up the Pu`u and took the pictures above! Hope you like them . . . .
A L O H A! Cloudia

17 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love your views! But what really amazes me is just how much urban sprawl is there! I had no idea! Great post!

Reader Wil said...

Great set of photos from your warm country! Thanks for the information. I always like your quotations. I agree with the Anne Franck one. She was a wise girl for her age, wasn't she?

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for showing us around. I love the light. I can feel the breeze.

Charles Gramlich said...

That quote by Anne Frank is so true for me. I get such a sense of peace and a smile when I see wild nature.

Dianne said...

the photos are amazing - such varied views and skies you shared

and the quotes are all inspiring

Akelamalu said...

I so enjoy the tours of your island m'dear. :)

Anonymous said...

Lots population density there! Hope they protect the rest of it well!

nonizamboni said...

It is always a treat for me to see your blog open up and then there's that large beach scene...I enjoyed today's visit to the Kaimuki neighborhood--I too like to wander, on foot or by car, through the different areas around me and sometimes can actually feel the history beneath my feet. Thanks for sharing, Cloudia
Hope your weekend is delightful!

Cloudia said...

Gemma: Thanks, you photograper extraordianire! That's what I love about this island: neighborhoods and big city amenities, yet the ocean and the forested mountains are always close by, as you can see.


Reader Wil: Glad you enjoy my choice of quotes; I selct them with care for all of YOU!
Anne Frank was smart- most people in the Netherlands are ;-)


Sandy C: YOU are a creature of light & breeze! Aloha-

Charles: Then you are fundamentally balanced and happy, I think!

Dianne: Mahalo, Sistah.

Ake: That's partly because you are a reincarnated Polynesian Princess!

Deborah G: You've put your finger RIGHT on the dichotomy of paradise!

Thanks, Noni and back at YOU, Blogger! Funny you should say that. We felt lots of Mana (spiritual energy) running up our legs when we were up there!

Junosmom said...

Hi Cloudia, beautiful photos as always! I have a review of your book up on my blog and a way of sharing it with other readers of your blog. As I said on my blog, if someone reading this would like to receive Cloudia's book (there are conditions), leave a comment on the review that you'd like to be in the drawing and you can be the next to read it - for free.

Eric S. said...

That is some wonderful scenery. I would spend as much time as possible there, feeling the spirit of the city grown underneath.

Aloha

magiceye said...

lovely sights indeed!
thank you for taking the trouble and sharing what you saw

claude said...

Cloudia, did you read the book written by Anne Frank ?

Akelamalu said...

I take that as a great compliment my friend. xx

Cloudia said...

Junosmom: I'm so touched that you found pleasure and some meaning in my book!

Eric S: We think alike. You can hime with me anytime, friend!

Magic Eye: You inspire me. Thanks!!
Namaste & aloha-

Claude: I saw the movie, mon Ami.

Ake: ;-) Love ya!!

Barbara Martin said...

Larger than life views, Cloudia. Some of those quotes hit the spot for me today.

NaturalBornHawaiian said...

Came across your blog. I've lived in Kaimuki for over 40 years now. Our house was bought by my grandmother for 10,000 dollars in the 40's. Before that she had another house on 22nd ave for 5,000 dollars. Puu O kaimuki held a large bomb shelter with 3 smaller machine gun bunkers surrounding it. We used to play up there as kids in the bunkers. The area for years was covered by dry brush and lots of broken bottles and cans. During the 80's the place was nicknamed "Camelots" by the local kids due to it having a castle like structure (The large Bunker)and also people meeting up there late at night to have a good time.