Sunday, June 7, 2009

No Tourists

Aloha!
Welcome to Waikiki Three Hula Dancers Weclome You

"Prayer is meaningless unless it is subversive, unless it seeks to overthrow and ruin the pyramids of callousness, hatred, opportunism, falsehoods."

Abraham Joshua Heschel




Another Domestic Hawaiian Rainbow

"If I had to live my life again, I would have made a rule to read some poetry and listen to some music at least once every week. The loss of these tastes is a loss of happiness."





Concieted Carp

"You can get a whole lot more done with a kind word and a gun than you can with a gun alone."

Al Capone



There are No tourists in Hawaii!
That's right. We call them "visitors" as in Hawaii Visitors Bureau. I've always liked that old fashioned way of thinking about folks from elsewhere. It speaks of our local pride, identification with our island home, our traditional spirit of welcome. They all manage to hang on somehow – even in our topsy-turvy day. The real Waikiki, the genuine Hawaii, they still exist. Some visitors are fooled by our modern tempo and amenities, but for those with a heart to see beyond the "attractions" there is authenticity. The key is to bring some of your own along with you. . .
A L O H A! Cloudia

14 comments:

Dina said...

Authenticity. Good one.
How did you bring a rainbow into the house??
Those dancing statues are great.
Al Capone's advice would be good in my country.
I love Heschel! As a teenager I read his _God in Search of Man_ and it changed my life.
Happy Sunday to you.

Kay said...

I just saw those hula dancing statues the other day. It really is very excellently done! I was wishing I'd taken a shot but you've beaten me to it.

Gemma Wiseman said...

The rainbow on the ceiling is incredible!

And really love the hula dancers! Great body movements captured for eternity!

the walking man said...

I wonder what it is when we travel why we seem to be something different than what we are at home. I mean if I were to go to Hawaii I maybe tempted to wear shorts, which is something I never do 'round here...the thought of me in a speedo has crossed my mind as well.

Anonymous said...

Great combination-- poetry and music.

The hula dancers are beautiful and I love the indoor rainbow.

♥ Braja said...

Love the quotes today, Cloudia...

Maria Verivaki said...

how do you get those rainbows indoors? gorgeous carp - i've heard they're edible too!

Eric S. said...

I think if I do ever get the opportunity to visit Hawaii, I would be more interested in the authentic over the attractions. When I was stationed in Germany, I made numerous road trips. I always tried to stay on back roads and avoid the autobahn. The little things I found would have never been seen otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Aloha pretty lady. Always nice to read your page, you seem to possess something that I do not. A non cynical outlook on life, anyway a tremendous Sunday to you.

Teresa said...

Aloha, Cloudia. My favorite is the quote by Al Capone.

Teresa

Feisty Crone said...

I love the hula dancers; looks like so much fun. And what a beautiful rainbow on the ceiling!

Charles Gramlich said...

That Al Capone quote certainly showed that he had some brains eh? Very machivellian.

Akelamalu said...

No tourists - we call them visitors - I like that! :)

Travis Erwin said...

Love that domestic rainbow.