Saturday, June 5, 2010

Grandma Sounds



"Life isn't a matter of milestones,
but of moments. "

Rose Kennedy






"Where's the rest of me?"



"Better to lose a tail
than freedom."

Lizard Proverb







"Be like Curious George,

start with a question

and look under the yellow hat

to find what's there."


James Collins





><>


Grandma made these sounds,
resigned complaining "oomphs"
and "oyes."
She made them when she stood up
('why did it seem so effortful?' I wondered as a kid.
Well now

I'M
making those sounds!


My back has been taunting me.
That motorcycle-circus flip I took at 16
started the whole thing:
Flying off the bike,
landing right next to a big, pointy rock,
looking for my glasses in the dark.
The shame.
I never told anyone.

So my back "locks up"
like 95% of y'all in the general population.
Right now, I'm at the mobile stage
WITH grandma sounds.
Oye!

So that's why I haven't been around to
your posts
as much as I like to be
(or been and enjoyed but spared myself the typing a comment).

So there,
that's personal.

You surely noticed that my posts
are (i try :)
uplifting,
But of course I've been
anguishing
over:
the oil, the Gulf,
the wars,
the economy,
the blockade runners. . .
and on and on.

THAT's why I seek the light;
Because otherwise
it could all overwhelm me.

Grandma made sounds
when she watched the news too.
Sounds of pity and disbelief.

Now I'm making those sounds.

We need a little Summer Magic
right about now, eh?

Thanks for fixing some up with me!

I love you guys-



25 comments:

Akelamalu said...

We've had summer madness here this past week - wonderful!

Hilary said...

Sorry you're feeling poorly, Cloudia. I hope you're feeling better soon.. watching the news won't help.

Jo Potter said...

Hi Claudia,
I have just found your lovely blog.
I have back problems too. I totally understand how you feel!:(
Take good care.

Best wishes,
Jo May.:)

Freda said...

Making Grandma's sounds is common to most of us as we live longer. I try to laugh - but however hard I try, cannot stop them altogether. Your point about the distress over the news is poignant for me too.

roughterrain crane said...

A lost part of the tail can grow again, but freedom is coward and hesitate to come out again. Who can pull him out?
Have a nice Sunday in Hawaii !

Cloudy said...

Your header is dreamful!
Servus and have nice day
Kvelli

Carol said...

No shame, no shame. Keep telling your story until it loses it's power over you. Thanks for trusting us!

Teresa said...

I hope your back feels better, Cloudia. I love the title of this post: "Grandma Sounds." It reminded me of my favorite person in the whole wide world :)

irinapictures said...

Every your post is like a breath of fresh air. From Hawaii. Yoga helps me a lot with my back problems, it is never later to start.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've got a motorcycle back and neck myself. Love that lizard pic. Gotta wonder who ate his tail.

Feisty Crone said...

Hello from Seattle! My back has bothered me for years, doing better now that I'm exercising more. But some days :) And yes, I make Grandma sounds daily, as my knees creak, I'm limping all of a sudden, etc. Hang in there, my dear.

I'm anguishing as well, over all of the bad news in the world.

Marguerite said...

So sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. Hope you feel better, soon! And I hear ya about the news. Aloha, cher!

Full-On-Forward said...

If only I could give BACK ar ar what you have given me--you would be up and about in no time!

I know wherof you speak, and it just encompasses you! Prayers of healing for you Cloudia......you are too bright a light to be put out by a back!

Granniez rule!!!

Aloha, Friend!

John

Rosaria Williams said...

So sorry! Time to find a warm swimming hole.

Brian Miller said...

hope your back feels better...yeah i make those noises when i see the news these days...i like the lizard proverb and the collins quote is great as well...hope you are having a nice saturday!

Anonymous said...

David had surgery on his herniated disk in the 1970s and it cured him.

My mother had cement injected between her vertebrae and she, too, is better.

Get well, Cloudia!

Anonymous said...

How very wonderful to learn that Lizards do have proverbs as well ! Totally change my mood, thank you.
Grandmom allowed gypsies to read her hand and "paid" them with food, a long time ago.
Please have a wonderful Sunday, many gettig well wishes upon your back.

wenn said...

have a good rest..

Cloudia said...

Thanks for your visit;
you ROCK!

Carver said...

I'm sorry your back has been bothering you. I love the photographs and words on your posts. So much beauty and interesting sights in your world.

magiceye said...

take care..

namaste /\ from mumbai
aloha!

LadyFi said...

So sorry to hear about your back. Sending you positive healing thoughts.

Love all your uplifting posts!

Alice Audrey said...

We moved to a place with high mountains, clear blue skies, and open spaces. Then Seattle decided to send it's climate to us. All the rain does nice things for the grass and trees, but this isn't what I signed up for.

Cloudia said...

thanks for visiting!

Bubblewench said...

Sorry I haven't been a good commenter lately, but I have been visiting!!

I really hope your back feels better soon.

:)Aloha friend!