Thursday, December 18, 2008

Hawaii Writer's Itch

" Good Morning Waikiki!"



(Click on photos to enlarge)


"Local Bananas in Chinatown"


















"Kwan Yin Altar"


"Want some BUMP-lings?"
or
"Won't you be my honey-tripe?"





"It's better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation."
- Melville



"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert Humphrey


"Most of the writers I know work everyday in obscurity and close to poverty, trying to say one thing well and true. Day in, day out, they labor to find their voice, to learn their trade, to understand nuance and pace. And then, facing a sea of rejections, they hear about something like Barbara Bush's dog getting a book deal.
Writing is hard even for the best wordsmiths. Ernest Hemingway said the most frightening thing he ever encountered was 'a blank sheet of paper.' And Winston Churchill called the act of writing a book 'a horrible, exhaustive struggle like a long bout of painful illness.'" - Timothy Egan, in the New York Times

Today I felt well and truly blank, like a wall or like Hemingway's sheet of paper. After completing my early chores, I escaped to Chinatown. The busy streets, the currents of people and traffic, always make me feel good. Investing your years and memories in a place is what makes it home. The gritty streets of Honolulu's Chinatown say "Home" to me. Come, let's walk along for a bit. We can even stop for dim sum! And when I'm ready to move on to my next home, you can spread my ashes at Maunakea & Pauahi Streets. . . . A L O H A! Cloudia

14 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Sometimes when you're blocked, getting out and walkign is the best cure. Just seeing that fruit stand would be inspiring.

Cloudia said...

You're right, charles! aloha-

Kay said...

I love that first photo of yours. Beautiful! Hmmmm.... I feel like I'm ready for some dim sum.

Lyzzydee said...

Wow the photos are fantastic as usual!!

claude said...

Beautiful photos, Cloudia !
I am ready to go to Hawaïan or Chinase restaurant.

Dave King said...

Deeply mouth-watering - as always.

Roan said...

I always write something on that blank sheet of paper. It might be an item from my grocery list, or the first thing I see out the window. Having a word or two on there seems to help. Great shots. Love the sky in particular.

The Grandpa said...

Hemingway also said that when he faced that blank sheet of paper he would start by writing the truest sentence he knew. I always enjoy walking with you.

David Cranmer said...

I read writers bios when I'm blocked and it inspires me to keep plugging away.

Barbara Martin said...

I agree with Charles, though today there's a blizzard outside.

Lovely quotes and words of wisdom gratefully received. Beautiful photos of the bananas.

Akelamalu said...

Love the photos Cloudia, especially the one of the Quan Yin altar. Quan Yin has been a great source of inspiration to me during Reiki treatments.

Heidelweiss said...

Such lovely pictures. What a beautiful place.

Cloudia said...

OKAY, Kay! ;-)

Lyzzydee- Fantastic to see you! thanks for leaving your kind comment.


Claude- Perhaps some French-Viet at Duc's Bistro!

Dave King- Mahalo!

DJ Roan- Thanks for the useful advice. I shall remember that!

Granpa- Kudos for that 'on point' quote, and thanks for being such a charming companion on our blog-walks. I've picked up some good writing advice from your site!

David C - Thanks. you stike me as a writer with a full kit of actually useful tools. You and Charles Gramlich (& Travis Erwin) are making me want to write some short fiction . . . SF?!

Barbara M- Poetic comment. Mahalo, m'dear!

Ake- Of course Kwan Yin would be yet another thing we'd share! I lit some incense and did my 3 bows. Compassionate wishes to YOU, our friends partying with us here, including:

Heidelweiss- WARM ALOHA!

Eric S. said...

I have been staring at that terrifyingly blank page for some time now. I just wish thoughts would flow as easily during conscious thought as it does during subconscious thought, LOL.