Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Dumb as Rocks?

Aloha!

Welcome to the

Sacred `Aina (land)

of

H A W A I I


Click on photos to enlarge Hawaiians of old understood that nature was not made of mere "things."

They experienced the living spiritual power in all.

And they called it

MANA.
(Many still do)


Today, physicists call it:

the "Unified Field."



Pohaku (rocks) in particular are understood to be powerful and wise beings. Temples, altars, and (often the) offerings upon them are mineral. After all, these islands are volcanic creations. Liquid lava, at war with the sea, raised up our entire archipelago. It was the goddess Pele, dancing as red hot lava, who bequeathed the resulting land to plants, animals, gods, spirits, demi-gods, and (at last) humans who all voyaged here from elsewhere.


Today, a new submarine mount is rising off of the east side of Hawaii Island, continuing the story. It will not break the surface for millennia into the future.





Handsome Specimen


"Geologists have a saying - rocks remember."
Neil Armstrong





Nature's Rock Art

"The call of love sounds very hollow among these immobile rocks."

Gustav Mahler






Stack one upon another and you honor the place.

"If it weren't for the rocks in its bed, the stream would have no song."

Carl Perkins




"Naughty" games between foliage and fissure.



"I do not yet know why plants come out of the land or float in streams, or creep on rocks or roll from the sea. I am entranced by the mystery of them, and absorbed by their variety and kinds. Everywhere they are visible yet everywhere occult."
Liberty Hyde Bailey



As the old folks say:

"Here the rocks get (have) faces."




"Since childhood she had walked the Devon rivers with her father looking for flowers
and the nests of birds, passing some rocks and trees as old friends, seeing a Spirit everywhere, gentle in thought to all her eyes beheld."

Henry Williamson



What of YOUR home?
What do the stones sing about in the dark of your night?
Have you heard their chant?



Why not post pictures of the precious gems of your area?

Just throw us a link in "comments!"



Aloha, Friends!

Cloudia







34 comments:

the walking man said...

AHHHH but I live in the place that took the natural and chewed it and ground it, fired it and shaped it into things wholly unnatural. We chewed and chewed swallowed and then what came rolling out the other end was called beautiful. How short sighted we were, how poorly we defined beauty.

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

Hawaii is indeed a very special place, and the said story is very convincing :)

Sadly I don't have any post on the local stones yet! But will post one soon :)

TV Tower on Sinhagad - Going Inside Clouds

magiceye said...

cloudia you rock my friend!

namaste /\
aloha!

claude said...

Beautifuls rocks.
In America we visited the City of Rocks. To see on my blog soon.
ALOHA CLOUDIA !

Anonymous said...

I've known all along you're one smart little lady, but this post proves it once again. I was raised by a rockhound mother and learned appreciation for rocks at a young age. Great post. (I never would have believed Carl Perkins capable of such profound thought.) Uh-oh that sounded a little catty-- not meant that way really.

Donalyn said...

I have always loved rocks - I use them in my garden extensively. There are certainly ones that are like old friends and I love them!

nonizamboni said...

I'm accepting your challenge! Living in Idaho was the perfect place to learn geology--although I baredly passed ;O)
Especially loved the faces on the rocks you showed us. Happy Wednesday!

Jew Wishes said...

What a wonderful post! I love the photos, and the story.

Anonymous said...

Rocks do not have rock soul that is sure.

roughterrain crane said...

No littering. Indeed. One small space has a special meaning. However, few people know it.

Heff said...

"Pohaku and ROLL", baby !

Teresa said...

This post really rocks. Our new place has really cool rocks in the garden. I look at a bunch of them from my study and a bunch from the bedroom. They definitely do sing.

Bubblewench said...

OOOH! I love stones, and faces in rocks. Actually, that is part of my next back tatoo, rocks and mountains w/faces in them. Working on the design soon.

They are such a beatuiful part of nature, and people don't see them all the time.

Annie Oakley said...

Beautiful! Thelma wuz here!

Sandee said...

There are indeed some beautiful rocks. I have some that I've collected from here and there. Always fascinated me.

Have a terrific day. :)

Dina said...

Lovely words and wisdom, so true!
Really, a new mountain is rising on the east??
LOVE how you present this, Cloudia.

I always touch my head or hand to special stones or stoneware to try to feel their mana.

Jerusalem and the hills around her are a world of stone. In fact, the stones and ashlars talk to one another in what is known as the dialogue of the stones, which even modern architects are expected to respect.

I will think of how to post. So many pictures ...

Regina said...

What a lovely place. Aloha
Regina

Daryl said...

I think all ground should be considered sacred and hallowed ... interesting that in the Jewish faith it is customary to leave pebbles, small rocks on the headstones of family to show that you've visited

sealaura said...

thanks for the lovely field trip! hope you are having a great day :)

Deborah Godin said...

"I'm pickin' up good vibrations"

Cloudia said...

Walking Man: Beautifully said.

Bhavesh: Namaste.

MagicEye: LOL!!!!!

Claude: Can't wait. Happy Bastille Day!!

Tricia: Cool. You couldn't be catty if you tried. Kittenish?

Donalyn: ALOHA!

Noni: You are a dear.

JewWishes: Shalom my friend.

Hobo: Nice to see you.

Cloudia said...

R. Crane: But YOU know it. ;-)


Heff: Yes! You got it pal!!


Teresa: And your inkstone sings too.

Bubble Wench: I always knew that you were my kinda gal.

Thelma! Honor! Kiss Louise for me.

Sandee: Thanks for coming by, funny lady.

Dina: Coming from you, I'm happy. Yes, a new island rising: "Loihi" (I forgot the name yesterday ;[ )
Yes, Jeruslam and your blog are rich with stone!


Aloha, REGINA! Welcome.


Daryl: Exactly you smart chick.


Sea Laura: Good to see you, teacher.


Deborah: LOL you, rock!

Thank you Friends!!

Charles Gramlich said...

Such gorgeous stones. Indeed they are nature's art, although nature has many ways of expressing its art.

Travis Erwin said...

Rock On!

Anonymous said...

Rockin good!

Cloudia said...

Hey Charles, Travis; Great to see you gents here today!! Aloha

Heff said...

Thanks for stopping by !




BamaTrav Needs your LOVE!

Carol said...

As a child, I thought that all things were alive in some way. Now I find out that it is probably true.

Ebb Tide said...

Like you I love rocks & stones. But I love the red rocks of Sedona, Arizona most of all.

gabrielle said...

Clear river beds murmuring summer. craggy alpine outcroppings for sure footed Nubians. the stored warmth stones give so freely. the songs they remember. such a beautiful post! thank you.

♥ Braja said...

The same mood exists here in India's traditions; the rocks and earth of the holy places are worshipped, and called "silas", pronounced sheelas. Very special....

SandyCarlson said...

I like the stones stacked together. Makes me think of cairns in a new and delightful way.

The tree is gorgeous. That's exciting. Shows what is possible in a lifetime. To be beautiful is to change--to improve--the world.

Cloudia said...

Lovely comments from beautiful hearts! Thank you Braja, Sandy,
Gabrielle, Ebb Tide, Carol ;-)

amanda said...

Beautiful rocks, thanks for the history on them as well. I love how rocks seem to have their own personality their own beauty.