Monday, July 13, 2009

Ulupo Part 2

Aloha!

Welcome back to the

Ulupo Hoike Festival!



"Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery




click on photos to enlarge! Taro Growing in da sun.






"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight."
Benjamin Franklin





Banana Light










"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."
Frances Willard






The IMU





where food is buried/cooked among hot stones overnight.






"Formerly, when religion was strong and science weak, men mistook magic for medicine; now, when science is strong and religion weak, men mistake medicine for magic."
Thomas Szasz















MMMMM!



6 O'clock is lomi salmon, 8 is pureed sweet potato,



10pm is unopened haupia (coconut pudding), midnight is ulu or breadfruit and a chunk of sweet potato, 1'O'clock is raw ahi tuna sashimi (on top of long rice, rice noodles), 3 to 5 O'clock is Kalua pork and turkey from da Imu.


"Hoping to live days of greater happiness, I forget that days of less happiness are passing by."



Elizabeth Bishop






Kahuna Lomi - Masters of Healing Massage









"Happiness is nothing but everyday living seen through a veil."



Zora Neale Hurston








A L O H A, FRIENDS! Cloudia

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some great quotes. I especially like the last one. Great shots too. I can almost feel the heat from the one of the fire-pit.

Dina said...

Yum, I could eat this round-the-clock. Well, not the pork.

And the Little Prince was so right.

The Grandpa said...

The first time I ever had raw ahi tuna was in Hawaii, Great shots. Looks like a great time. Aloha, Cloudia.

the walking man said...

Friction is the energy used to stop a car beyond that I will take the easier well oiled road.

breakfast.

Sandee said...

Okay, now I'm hungry.

Have a terrific day. :)

Teresa said...

I loved this post, Cloudia. The quotes were great, the photos lovely, and I really want one of those massages.

If you ever have time could you post a picture of ti leaves? When I was a kid one of my favorite books was "Manu, Girl of Old Hawaii". It talked about some of the things you have shown pictures of in these last two posts. In the book the kids used to slide down the mountain on ti leaves, just wondered what they looked like.

Daryl said...

Poi leaves look like elephant plant leaves .. sort of .. aloha!

Deborah Godin said...

Yum, bet it smells wonderful too!

The Weaver of Grass said...

"Keep in the sunlight" I like that - it could easily become my mantra Cloudia.

Akelamalu said...

Great quotes today m'dear.

Are they practising Reiki in the last picture?

gigi-hawaii said...

mmm. I am in the mood for some Hawaiian food!

Charles Gramlich said...

Love that quote about adults never understanding anything. How true.

Sepiru Chris said...

Hello Cloudia,

Always up for le Petit Prince.

And your photos.

Been scrolling as this post is making my stomach growl and my diet is still beyond limited---I love the bonus pic a few posts down. Absolutely fantastic.

I will have to go diving into the archives, but Dad is back upstairs and it is time to go out and explore a bit more of Hong Kong with him.

Tschuess,
Chris

Anonymous said...

When the curiosity to know is stopped we stop questioning and we are called grown-up human.

Kay said...

That massage looks heavenly.

I had kahlua pork recently and was surprised at how oily it was. My mom always buys kahlua turkey instead.

Bubblewench said...

Just love the photos! And that food looks pretty damn yummy too.

Cloudia said...

Thank you Friends!!!!

Cloudia said...

Those of you who's email adresses appear have recieved you personal answer - my pleasure!!