Sunday, December 13, 2009

I Am

Aloha, Friend

It's
Sunday in Hawaii

Let's go for a drive. . . .




click on windshield for a better view
On the bottom of the island, on the right side,
you can see Diamond Head.

Waikiki is to the left of the venerable crater.
But there are other Oahus,
far from where most visitors play.
Follow the map to the left,
past the airport,
past Barbers Point,
ALLLL the way to Kahe Point.
In real life you'll see the tall stacks
of the Kahe Power Plant.
That's the beginning of the
West Side.
This is where many Hawaiians live.
This is where poverty
and social problems
are said to run rampant
and I guess they do. . .



But there are reasons for all that.
And it's not everybody out here like the news implies.



There is much richness along the long coast,
and up in the valleys.








Waianae is emblematic of the whole area.
To say that you are from Waianae sets up lots of

assumptions about you.
I'm proud that I helped to facilitate after school groups
at Waianae High School. Being a part of this community
meant a lot to me. I am grateful that I can claim friends

up there. They taught me so much.


The stigma sticks to the kids.
Some of them are speaking up about it.
If you search "Waianae" on You Tube
you will see lots of clips of school yard fights.


This one is different. Check it out!










ALOHA & Thanks for joining me today. cloudia

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, cool video!

David and I attended a party in Waianae back in the 1980s. The hosts were a wealthy haole doctor and a Filipino wife. It was a very elegant house, with a large pool. The backyard was right on the beach and we could see the waves crashing on shore.

So I left with no negative stereotypes of Waianae.

ruma said...

Thank you for showing wonderful scenery.

Greetings.

Jean said...

gd share of vids...hapy sunday!!

A smile from SJ =)

the walking man said...

I know stigma of place.

Fireblossom said...

I see a mail truck wayyyy in the background there. We're everywhere lol.

The place that I grew up has a rep for being full of rich snobs who fall apart if the cleaning lady calls in sick. While I do poke fun at that very environment in my Objets D'art blog, where a person is from doesn't define that person!

nonizamboni said...

Thanks for taking me along! The mountains in your state always amaze me since I'm used to the craggy, tall ones. Heaven on earth where you live, Cloudia!

wenn said...

thx for the interesting info..

Kavita Saharia said...

IN LOVE WITH YOUR PLACE...no matter what.Aloha,friend.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you for that tour round Cloudia - really enjoyed it.

Teresa said...

Thanks for opening doors and breaking down barriers.

Charles Gramlich said...

Well said. It takes such to turn a people's story around.

Anonymous said...

RIGHTEOUS!

TJ

SG said...

Nice post. Superb video. We always liked the Windward
Coast's green mountains and the water.

David Cranmer said...

I haven't been there in almost 12 years but Hawaii remains as gorgeous as ever.

Marguerite said...

Such beautiful scenery! Wish I was there! Aloha, mon ami!

Tammie Lee said...

such a wonderful post showing some of the islands beauty. how empowering for these girls to speak up like this!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Thanks, Cloudia. We picture Hawaii as paradise on earth, but maybe not for some? Those girls impressed me, and the production value was pretty darn good. I hate how easy it is to stereotype people, we all do it way too much.

Dina said...

It's a strong video. Good for them!
They were lucky to have you.

Thanks too for the map. It helps a lot.

Cloudia said...

Aloha dear friends!!

Kay said...

Oh my gosh! This is totally incredible! Beautifully done! Thanks for bringing it to our attention. To be honest, I have heard of those stereotypes. Whenever I used to say I was from Waipahu, people would raise their eyebrows, too. Good to dispel these generalizations because they can be damaging.

Blue bird said...

Hi Clodia! Just found the spot to leave you a message!
What a wonderful blog you got! Full of memories for me.
Thanks to answer me. Blue Bird