Sunday, May 1, 2011

pedestals

A L O H A
              



Moloch 
whose mind is pure machinery!
Moloch whose blood is running money!
Moloch whose fingers are ten armies!
Moloch whose breast is a cannibal dynamo!
Moloch whose ear is a smoking tomb! 

Allen Ginsberg
  Howl and Other Poems

 

 

 





 "A School Boy in Hawaii"
Dr. Sun Yat-sen
Age 13
Artist: Chu Tat Shing, 2007

Gift to our city by the Dr. Sun Yat-sen Hawaii Foundation

"This is my Hawaii. . .
here I was brought up and educated,
and it was here that I came to know
what modern, civilized governments are like
and what they mean."
Dr. Sun Yat-sen

He came to the islands from Zhongshan
in 1879 at age 13.
His Revive China Society was founded here.










 
"A pedestal
is as much a prison
as any small, confined space. "
 
Gloria Steinem



)-(


What's on YOUR pedestal?


What do you REALLY
f e a r
&
s e r v e
?

Is your God 

unconditionally loving,

holding the door of forgiveness open

way past dark?


 Or rigid and correct,

tricking people

into messing up

for the pleasure of

judgment,

punishment?

All 
'rules cast in cement'
?




Is your belief

an IDOL

instead of

an inspiration

?

please leave a comment, 
        "Huh?" is acceptable :-) cloudia

18 comments:

Teresa said...

Excellent and thought-provoking post. Love the pedestal of mammon with the rusted idol of ostentatious consumption!! A confining and imprisoning space, indeed!!

Sailor said...

Have a beautiful Sunday!

DeniseinVA said...

Ah yes, another post that I have enjoyed reading immensely. Have a great week Cloudia.

Myrna R. said...

Nice to be back reading your posts. I like this one, especially your questions about God.

Fireblossom said...

Huh? LOL. I'm kidding!

"Howl" was one of the poems that made me love poetry in the first place, and want to write it myself. I met the author once, and he signed my copy. That was a big deal to me. I keep it in a special place.

Kay said...

Wow! I didn't know Dr. Sun Yat-sen grew up here! That's amazing!
My God is the spirit and force in nature. He doesn't interfere or intervene much, but He comforts and gives strength.

Anonymous said...

With regard to fear, it probably is 'time' as ever more I feel it pass by way too fast for that what I would like to do, have done.

'to serve', indeed a bit more difficult. maybe the ability to learn, being taught; knowing that and knowing that a target can be set and reached.

thank you for this exercise of and for the mind. please have a good new week and month as well.

daily athens

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Oh... that history I did not know.

Feisty Crone said...

I'm with Gloria; I've had someone put me on a pedestal and it was a scary experience. I'm human, fallible, and my God is a loving forgiving being (good thing :)

Windsmoke. said...

Don't believe in God because i can't see, touch and speak face to face with him :-).

Commander Zaius said...

What's on YOUR pedestal?

Without getting too awful deep and messy my anwer would be fatherhood.

I love my kids more than life itself and would do anything for them but I have to admit there are times I want to just skip town and head to Key West or some other place tropical.

Charles Gramlich said...

I couldn't imagine a god who'd try to trick his or her followers. Some people do believe in such a god, though.

Dianne said...

my "god" is the universe
the sun and sky and moon
and all the life forces on and around the planets :)

Hattie said...

I did not know that Sun Yat Sen went to school in Hawaii!
Have you seen the Sun Yat Sen Statue in SF in St. Mary's Square by Benny Bufano?

Barbara Martin said...

The Creator is everywhere, whereever one wants to experience Him in various forms. We are all One anyhow.

Anonymous said...

amen

cj copenhagen

Friko said...

I would have to think very hard to name my God/idol.

Pedestals are for falling off, don't you think?

Cloudia said...

Thanks for sharing-