Tuesday, May 7, 2013

When You See an Ant

A  L  O  H  A !
" Give me a smart idiot 

over a stupid genius 

any day. "

Samuel Goldwyn 




" My grandmother is over 80 

and still doesn't need glasses.
She drinks right out of the bottle. "

 Henny Youngman







“An ant on the move 

does more 

than a dozing ox.”

 Lao Tzu 

          -o,,o,,o'
Consider the Ant- 

In a clever new study, 
patient scientists placed Bar Codes
on more than 1,000 carpenter ants
then used high-resolution infrared 
cameras to monitor the ants.

No one knew before
that ants change jobs
at different stages of life!

Young ants are nursemaids to
the larvae and pupae.

Middle aged ants, patrol the colony
to keep it in working order,
they are police,
and civil engineers.

Do the seniors have a job?
YES! Indeed they do.
Alessandro Crespi of the 
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
says: 

"The most dangerous job
is foraging, as it requires leaving the
nest for the outside world. That's a
job for the oldest ants."

So
if you see an ant
it is a seasoned
senior!

> < } } (°>
' Take Peace & Smiles - 
Leave Your Ant Comment '
Thanks for visiting!
                        Warmly, cloudia

24 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I shall remember that ant quote Cloudia - I can think of a lot of circumstances where it is appropriate.

Brian Miller said...

ha did not know the forager ants wee senior citizens...interesting...ants def as something to be considered...smiles....i do

aloha from va

Gemel said...

Always a beautiful page to visit.

Akelamalu said...

LOL I love this quote!

" My grandmother is over 80

and still doesn't need glasses.
She drinks right out of the bottle. "

Henny Youngman

Couture Carrie said...

Interesting ant facts, darling!
Love the quotes and pics, as usual!

xoxox,
CC

21 Wits said...

Now that is ant-knowledge I never knew. I sometimes catch myself watching ants in action. It still amazes me how one tiny ant can carry such a heavy load, often without help. Equally cool, would be to see how they put that bar code on them. Wow!

TexWisGirl said...

the henny youngman quote made me laugh. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, warming sunset, ahhh. I am now guilt-ridden for every ant I've smashed. But like some seniors, they can bite! DrumMajor

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, warming sunset, ahhh. I am now guilt-ridden for every ant I've smashed. But like some seniors, they can bite! DrumMajor

Charles Gramlich said...

I think at least some folks did know that many ants change from nursemaids to foragers at some point. I remember reading that years ago. But again we can take a lesson from the ants!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I will definitely treat them with more respect from now on Cloudia :) what a very interesting series of info..who knew!

LONDONLULU said...

That is so cool about the ant, I love learning new things:) I love all those quotes today!

DeniseinVA said...

Fascinating! Always knew those ants were smart. Have a great day Cloudia, thanks for another wonderful post.

Cloudia said...

How jolly it makes me to see each of you here. Thanks so very much :-)

Bob Bushell said...

Ants have jobs to do, a bit like ourselves.

Kay said...

Uh oh... Does that mean they're expendable too?

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Ants creep me out, especially when they swarm. But as your quote indicates, you have to admire their social structure and adaptability.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

One hot day while we were walking, I saw this caterpillar type worm thing moving briskly across the road and I thought I better rescue it before it got baked on the asphalt. Much to our surprise, the worm was already dead, it was being moved by a bunch of ants very much smaller than it. It was rather amazing to see.

Hilary said...

Ha.. fun stuff. Love the Henny Youngman quote.

Elephant's Child said...

As a seasoned senior, I love this post. Thank you.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

I want to be an Ant !

rupam sarma said...

So nice

Rick said...

Ha ha - love the wise words, Cloudia ! *smiling*

Aloha !!

the walking man said...

s long as they stay out of mine i will stay out of theirs. Though if hungry enough i would forage for them.