Saturday, January 3, 2009

God Boxes



click on photos to enlarge!

























Japanese Buddhist Temple; a few blocks- but miles away from Honolulu's Wal-mart.












"Soft drink and computer companies play the roles of deities in our culture. They are creating our most powerful iconography, they are the ones building our most Utopian monuments." - Naomi Klein






Temple Guardians









“All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree."
Albert Einstein





"Kodomatsu" outside of a store. The Bamboo is strong, bound together like families should be, and the evergreen is for longevity, rebirth & growth. A Japanese New Year folk item popular in Hawaii.

Here in Hawaii we have a rather ecumenical approach to faith that is more common in Asia than in the West. Christian prayers are said in Hawaiian, Japanese, Korean, Samoan, Micronesian, and many other languages. Some Christians will participate in ethnic and cultural practices favored by their ancestors, so that we live in something of a religious "truce zone." Perhaps it's the tropical light, something in the air, or merely the familiarity bred by generations of living together on small islands, but we allow our faith to outgrow the boxes of custom & doctrine that He must keep to elsewhere. Yesterday, my favorite husband accompanied me to the Izumo Taishakyo Mission, a local Shinto shrine built so many years ago that the city and it's highways have grown up all around it. It is customary for such shrines to be open on New Years Day so that people may come for a magical blessing to assure good health and good luck in the dawning year. Though yesterday was January 2nd, the shrine remained open for meditation and the purchase of lucky amulets (omamori) & talismans (ofuda). A Shinto priest was present to welcome us. As we took off our footwear to enter, I enquired about the availability of the blessings which are somewhat akin to REIKI, Qi Gong, or other "energy treatments" (as complementary medicine and the institutes of health refer to them). I was disappointed when he told me that the traditional blessings were usually done on the first day only. Then, pausing, he seemed to re-consider. Taking up his ceremonial pole, from which sheaves of folded rice-paper cascaded, he danced and dangled it above me, touching my head with it, as a profound gratitude for Mystery, Magic, and the ways of my fellow Earth passengers filled me. It was gratitude to the One Source of Love (call it what you will) for so many years of life, for the dawning of a new one, for EVERYTHING! Next, the priest repeated these actions over my husband's head too. Then we two sat together, holding hands, as we admired the art and antiques of the shrine, and imbibed the healing energies of peace therein. We departed in reverence, and well-being. The label on the "box" we had visited was of less significance than the gift of mindfulness that we had received. What ever box YOU keep your God in, if your box if filled with mystery, or even if it seems "empty;" I salute you with my best wishes for healing, magic & joy. "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good - O Lord please don't let me be misunderstood." Rock Lyric

A L O H A! Cloudia


































29 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Those Temple Guardians are incredible looking.

SandyCarlson said...

Those guardians are amazing. I suppose if we can endure the paradox and confusion at the threshold, we can find peace inside!

Cloudia said...

David C-
Thanks! Actually, you look pretty mystical yourself wreathed in smoke!

Cloudia said...

Sandy Carlson- Very well said! Aloha & mahalo for visiting.

Anonymous said...

Shinto? Hmmm. I have been reading about near death experiences, and I wonder if Shinto worshippers have the same experiences when they die - i.e., witnessing a bright light exuding Love...

Maria Verivaki said...

i love the kodomatsu - lovely decorations

Charles Gramlich said...

I agree, those temple guardians are amazing. Great photos.

Dave King said...

Those first two photographs have everything for me.

the walking man said...

Knowledge is power...may your box be filled with ever increasing knowledge.

Anonymous said...

How relaxing, peaceful and reassuring, especially after a rough work week. I'd like to have one of the temple guardians accompany me to work. Maybe just the photo in my pocket will realign my perspectives.... Aloha and mahalo...DrumMajor

Dina said...

A wonderful post and message.
All blessings to you!

Roan said...

Nicely said with gorgeous pics!

Reader Wil said...

How beautiful to have a celebration together with all traditions mixed! I wish the whole world always did this. Thanks for sharing this!

Akelamalu said...

I love the Kodomatsu and I'm so happy the priest relented and gave you and your hubby the blessing.

Reiki blessings to you also m'dear. x

Junosmom said...

I'd like some of those temple guardians to keep in a closet - warnings to my son to behave or I'll open the door of the temple guardians! My sil is Brazilian and they have a similar ecumenical approach.

The Grandpa said...

Wouldn't it be wonderful to live in a world filled with that ecumenical feel. I hope the blessings of good health and good luck as well as happiness and peace remain with you and your favorite husband throughout the entire year. Aloha, Cloudia.

Anonymous said...

Aloha to you, too. Thanks for your visit and link back here, I'm delighted to discover your blog. I like the idea of mixing things up, spiritually, and consider myself a "smorgasbordian." Cheers for the New Year!

Akelamalu said...

PS Do drop by my place tomorrow there'll be a little something for you. :)

Cloudia said...

Mahalo for this bounty of wonderful comments!
Laters I will enjoy addressing each of them below. gotta run!
ALOHA!

SandyCarlson said...

You are incredibly talented, Cloudia! Great photography.

Carver said...

I enjoyed the photographs and post so much. Amazing shots.

Femin Susan said...

Hi,
Your blog is very creative and colorful. your creations are extremely attractive. How did you cope with such ideas?.. Let your creations reach beyond our imaginations

Femin Susan said...

the temple of the Guardians look scary.Nicely said with gorgeous pics

DeniseinVA said...

I loved your post Cloudia, I would have liked to have seen this place. How I miss that beautiful place you live in. It is most definitely calling me back.

Barbara Martin said...

The Temple Guardians look like they're doing their job properly: nice and scarey. Excellent photos!

Cloudia said...

GiGi - Bet they do!

M. Kiwi - Yes, aren't they cool? Aloha, Island Friend.

Charles G. - Thanks; glad to see YOU!

Dave King - thank you, Sir!

Walking Man - You have a wonderful way with words & ideas.

Drum Major - Aloha, friend. You nurses are my heroes!

Dina - Good to see you; Blessings, Dear!

B.J.- Thanks, Betty!

Reader Wil - Me too. Aloha!

Ake - REIKI blessings back to you, my friend!

Junosmom - LOL ;->

Grandpa- Mahalo. blessings to YOU!

Deborah G.- "Smorgasbordian" that's GREAT!

Carver - Mahalo! Good to see ya!

Femin Susan - Thanks for visiting!

Denise - the island already misses
you!

Barbara M. - Thanks!

magiceye said...

beautiful pics, quotes and post..

Cloudia said...

Magiceye - Aloha & thank you very much, Friend!

Sepiru Chris said...

Hi Cloudia,

Lovely post indeed. Is god boxes your original phrase? I can well imagine that it is, I ask because I might well use it and would want to attribute it properly...

The Naomi Klein quote is something to ponder over, although I am not sure that I completely agree with her.

I imagine that she is referring to the idealized utopias constructed in advertising worlds, especially for the drinks producers, although I wonder if she considers the dispensing machines to be votive shrines for those seeking the marketing utopias.

Anyway, this is a lovely post and I do appreciate your big-house oecumenical perspective. It is quite similar to my own.

Personally, Cloudia, I suspect that you yourself are a source for an awful lot of the love and peace and qi and call it what you find in any "box" or grove you enter.

All the best,
Chris