Friday, November 28, 2008

Dynamic Waikiki

"one generation plants the trees, another enjoys the shade."
- Chinese Proverb


"The longer I live the more beautiful life becomes"
- Frank Loyd Wright



"I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
- Mark Twain







Walking in Waikiki
With Cloudia

Diamond Head, surf on the beach, delicious evening breezes at the end of another perfect day; Waikiki seems eternal – but it is not unchanging, and it’s never monotonous! Hawaii people love to try new things, but we also cherish our memories. Thing is, we do it with joy – not sadness, but with celebration. Complaining is just a waste of time when there is so much here to enjoy. In that spirit, Saturday marked my last visit to Ebisu Catering, a sweet little walk-up window on King Street just before McCully, where tempura by-the-piece, noodles, hot dog and fish cake have satisfied local palates for many many years. Ebisu is just the sort of place that we locals like to say exists nowhere else in the world, like the saimin fountains, crack seed shops, and mom & pop shave ice places in our Honolulu neighborhoods. Standing in line with the other folks was all about paying our respects and saying “thanks” to the family. It felt a little bit like a party, and that last shrimp tempura tasted delicious out there on the sidewalk. After wiping my greasy fingertips on my jeans, I bid my happily munching new “line friends” a satisfied “Aloha,” climbed back on my bike, and headed down to University Avenue to say “So long” to another old friend, the Varsity Theater, one of our last, classic movie palaces. In recent years the Varsity (built 1939) has been an “Art House” showing all those little films that couldn’t be seen anywhere else in town. No plans have been announced for the location, but I do know I’ll miss the neon sign above the marquee, the smell of popcorn, and even the sticky floors and rickety old seats. Fortunately, Consolidated Theaters promises to continue showing “smaller” films at one of their modern theaters, perhaps my favorite Ward 16 at Queen & Kamake`e. Like I said, we celebrate the passing of the old, but we don’t get all moody about it; life is just too short for long faces! Besides, you’ve got to LOVE that modern stadium seating! Been bowling lately? It’s becoming a rarer pleasure as, one by one, our local bowling alleys turn out the lights. The seniors who play at Kam Bowl on North School Street in Kalihi had one last blow out on Friday and the place was really rocking! Those loyal bowlers, many in their 80’s and even their 90’s, showed great form bowling those last frames. Don’t worry though. Plans to carpool and bus it out to Aiea Bowl, or Pali Lanes have been made, and the league games will continue. Honolulu’s City Council is even looking into sponsoring a new Bowling Emporium on City property! I’m happy to report that the attached Kapiolani Coffee Shop has already found a new spot at City Square in Kapalama, and we can all look forward to satisfying our oxtail soup fix there. But I for one will miss the atmosphere and the sounds of the old bowling alley as I slurp… Improvements continue at the Outrigger Reef Hotel but the Shore Bird restaurant remains open and popular. Incidentally, this spot originally opened as the Ocean Showroom in June 1979. (Thanks, Uncle Tom Moffat for that before-my-time fact ;-) By any name, the place is a wonderful spot to take in a meal or show anytime. Servers tell me that the monthly KINE FM Aloha Friday Luncheon Show is flourishing there. I jumped at the chance to make my reservation for the next show this Friday, confident that the best local musicians will perform their greatest hits live for the radio listeners as we in the restaurant audience stuff our faces, applaud, and have way too much fun for sober adults. Across Kalia Road from the Reef and the Hale Kulani, where McDonalds used to be, a brand new Roy’s Restaurant is packing them in. I don’t know how Local Culinary Hero Roy does it, but with over a dozen restaurants on multiple continents, his folks still make each visit an occasion; this is NO chain restaurant, just a formula that works. Enjoying a fine meal there recently with my Favorite Husband and our best buds, the Waimanalo Gunthers (Hi, Anissa & Greg!) I reflected on all the exciting new experiences to be found in our refurbished and improved Waikiki. By my calculations we were dining on Roy’s world-class food just where the Mickey D fryers used to be. Sometimes change is good! . . . Exciting young surfer Carissa Moore 14 is a Punahou student just like Michelle Wie (ouch) and Barack Obama (interesting guy!). Last week she won a majort surfing competition on the north shore! Well Done, Carissa. . . . . There has definitely been a revival of Beach Boy Surfing, which means standing on the board and using a long paddle. The legendary Duke Kahanamoku loved to do it, but the current resurgence is credited (by those in the know) to the recently passed and well-loved Waikiki Beach Boy, Bobby Ah Choy. What a wonderful legacy, and so nice to see an old local custom returning. . . . . Futurists predict that as we age (and wise up) more of us will want to live in physically lovely neighborhoods with lots of services, amenities, and activities all within walking distance. Sound familiar? To my mind, I already live in such a place, and living without a car doesn’t seem like such bad thing. Why fight traffic, when everything you might want is a healthy, invigorating stroll away? Walking fights Alzheimer’s, maintains fitness, and keeps you young and beautiful (like me!). . . Especially when you are walking…in Waikiki!
Be sure to check out my Hawaii Novel “Aloha Where You Like Go?” at Amazon.com or isle bookstores!

16 comments:

Akelamalu said...

When I do eventually get to visit it will seem like coming home after reading your words. :)

Anonymous said...

I remember attending history class at the Varsity when I attended UH during the late 1960s. Also saw quite a few movies there during the 1990s.

How time flies!

Maria Verivaki said...

tempura by-the-piece, noodles, hot dog and fish cake leave me with mouthwatering tastes!

Anonymous said...

I needed this break today!
Street tempura? so cool

Rastaman said...

I had visions of my old neighborhood as you took me through yours.

laughingwolf said...

*sigh* so beautiful, all of it

thx cloudia....

Charles Gramlich said...

man I want some of the food from that little shop. Sounds delicious.

Barrie said...

This makes me want a Hawaii vacay!

magiceye said...

wonderful!

It is peace in Mumbai at last.
Thank you for all your prayers and good wishes.
Pray for all those who lost their lives and may God give strength to their near and dear ones to bear their irreparable loss.

DeniseinVA said...

This is a great post. We're going to be heading for Waikiki in a couple of weeks. This will be our third visit to the Islands, the last one was three years' ago. Your blog is truly a wonderful place to visit. Thank you :)

Dave King said...

You must be doing wonders for the tourist industry there. Excellent post.

Dragonstar said...

I love that Mark Twain quote...

Feisty Crone said...

Great post. I've got your book on my wish list. For some reason, I thought that I had subscribed to, and was following, your blog. I have corrected my error!

Cloudia said...

Ake: When you coming "home" for a vist, hula girl?

Gigi: Yes, we will miss the old place!

M. kiwi:Yes, street food rules!

Rastaman: Welcome, Brother!(Green tea for my chest . . .)

L. Wolf:Wolves KNOW beauty. Thank you!

Charles: Yeah, like the sweet potato tempura!

Barrie: Thanks! Love to see YOU anytime!

Magiceye: All our fond thoughts are with You & with Mumbai people!

Denise: SO nice of you to say! Perhaps we can get a cup of coffee (or kava). WELCOME!!

Dave King: Thanks, so, for walking along and your support. I appreciate it.

Dragonstar: Yes, me too. That quote properly understood might really improve one's life!

Gran: You are a dear! so happy to see your tiny face at the party! I do hope you will enjoy my little novel (I think you will!)

DeniseinVA said...

I would like that very much Cloudia. I will keep you posted.

Barbara Martin said...

I agree with Charles, Cloudia, the food sounds divine and mouth watering.