Saturday, November 29, 2008

Sniffle

"Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling."

- Margaret Lee Runbeck










"A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people."

- Thomas Mann (1875 - 1955)











"He who has much to proclaim one day, stays silently much immersed within himself: he who has to kindle the lightning one day, must for a long time--be a cloud."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
This Cloudia has been much immersed in a bad cold.
Cozy, at first, to lie beneath magazines, gentle handling, and irresponsibility.
Maddening, at last, to be buried in tissues, honking like a goose, unable to concentrate on . . . now what was that I just. . . huh?
Today a Saturday dawned. My motorcycle pawed the turf outside. Dare I? *Sneeze* What the hell!
Together we escaped the surly bonds of home. Back into the world: so rich! So Varied! "Hello everyone." (The throttle feels good)
For a while we can fly and see EVERYTHING. A McMuffin might be nice.
The world is still there: Diamond Head, the gladding crowd, the crowded shopping mall (ride on!). Till Circling home. Fulfilled and smelling of fresh gasoline. God bless motorcycles, and a post (a blog-post!) to chain them to at last. Amen!
Hope you enjoy these disjointed images of my fevered ride . . . . . and my disjointed exclamations. . . Huh? (Sniffle) A L O H A ! Cloudia

23 comments:

Sepiru Chris said...

Dear Cloudia,

I DO like your literary allusions.

Leave those sniffles in the dust, soon.

Travis Erwin said...

I'm too clumsy for a mere two wheels but yeah I enjoyed the ride you took us on.

DeniseinVA said...

I fall over my feet, I don't think I would be safe on a bike though maybe in my next lifetime :) Hope you feel better soon.

David Cranmer said...

I love the Mann quote. So true!

Anonymous said...

I have a cold, myself, but alas, no motorcycle to escape on.

Hope you feel better.

Charles Gramlich said...

I just love pictures of islands for some reason. Maybe because I've often dreamed of living on one.

RiverPoet said...

I hope you are soon sniffle-free!

Peace - D

Cloudia said...

S. Chris: Literary allusions, who me? SHHHHH, our secret. Thanks for visitng and wishing the sickie well. Vroom -Vrooom!

Travis: You gotta agile mind; makes you a winner in the ride that counts. Glad you enjoyed it.

Denise: Wish I could take you for a little spin around Diamond Head. Thanks for wishing me better.

David C: Yeah, the simplest message can be made clearer, made to flow better. It's a compuslon really. Guess you are a writer ;-)

Gigi: Get better, dear. Then we can have lunch!

Charles: You DO live on an island, the island of your unique imagination. I'd say that a gulf seperates you from the mundane. Though you can pass the boundary at will, only fortunate invitees can glimpse the shore of your perceptions. The island library is wonderful, by the way. . . We are all just characters of your author's sport. Vroom!

RiverPoet: Colds are the privilege of healthy people. Minor inconveniences, times out. You are the courageous one, and we all love you and pray for you even when you don't share your challenges with us. Carry on, heroine! ;-)

Feisty Crone said...

I hope you feel better soon. The Mann quote is so true. Take care.

laughingwolf said...

feel for you, just getting over mine

great wee ride, though :D

Dina said...

Be well. Can I send you some hot chicken soup (the Jewish penicillin)?
Cloudia, do you really have a motorcyle, you lucky duck?! To ride in Hawaii, wow!
I had a small Honda in Michigan and Chicago and then another in Israel. Nothing better to cure all ills.

Anonymous said...

A favourite of mine is 'Home is not a place, it is a state of mind.'

Well, you seem to have your cure to hand, lucky girl. It does help that the air is warm.

Brother Tobias said...

I like the Mann quote too. But Cloudia, you're a biker? I had no idea. Now I'm jealous - I've been without one for too many years.

Dave King said...

The two opening quotes are so true. I guess we all know the truth of the Thomas Mann one!

magiceye said...

lovely pictures!

get well soon!!

Lakshmi said...

great quotes..thanks for sharing

Fida said...

Aloha! If only I could words wrap around things… TM knew it. Loose the sniffle… soon!

Akelamalu said...

Love the quotes Cloudia. I've never been on a motorcycle, I'm a bit of a scaredy cat to be honest.

Maria Verivaki said...

sneezing in hawaii? it's just a passing phase!

The Grandpa said...

Be well, Cloudia.

And I do enjoy them.

And wasn't Mann a keen observer?
;0)

DrumMajor said...

Dear Cloudi--sniffles?, sea salt spray up da nose maybe? Need snow? It's free in Kansas. Tee Hee.

Barbara Martin said...

Love the photos, especially #2 and #3.

Take care of your cold, drink lots of black tea with honey or ginger and lemon. Soon you'll be well in no time at all.

Eve said...

Hi Cloudia!
Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you are now over the sniffles, and the rides are a little less congested! So what's your cruiser??? I am an odd ball with the only sport bike of the bunch. (oh but my daughter just got her first bike and it's a sporty). No riding in the winter here, but there's hope...we are selling our house (or at least it's on the market) and moving to Alabama. Still a little chilly in the winter there (northern AL) but I think the bikes will be ready to roll at any decent degree! Happy riding...I can't say Vroom Vroom...more like Ring Ring!!
;-)