Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans

a Ted Trimmer photo of Maui from the air.

Hawaiian Flag






Punchbowl Cemetery at Puowaina, "The place of sacrifice"


"To be a patriot is to [sometimes] have a lovers' quarrel with your country."
-Wm. Sloane Coffin

I never had much awareness of the military growing up. Sure dad, and all the men around, had won WWII along with our allies, but the military was not a family tradition, or a career path that would have appealed to me. Besides, my two childhood heroes were Martin Luther King, and Leonardo DaVinci. Leonardo said that if you were a lover of peace, you should have brilliant machines to defend that peace. I loved his siege engine drawings, and I still adore high-tech war birds when they roar by at tree top level for some event, like today's "missing man" flyover . . . But I digress. . .





Here in Hawaii, the military is a significant presence. From Pearl Harbor, there WWII began for the USA, to the Barking Sands of Kauai where missiles are launched, tracked, brought down, to Schofield Barracks where "From Here to Eternity" was lived and filmed, and on to the giant veterans' cemetery at Punchbowl where Barack Obama's grandfather lies, Hawaii is a place where you experience the military up close. I even wrote a poem about the young service men & women who pass through Waikiki on their way to and from more dangerous places:




These Are The Boys


These are the boys who surf the waves
Or try to
Who cruise Waikiki
With radios thumping loud
Drunken, polite
Away from home for the first time
Supremely confident in youth
And in America.
These are the boys
Who go to the wars
Who go to the wars
And Die.




As you can tell, I have very mixed feelings about all of this. I honor those who put their lives on the line to defend homes, strangers, and high ideals. But I know that most often aggression could be avoided, and that those who "choose" diplomacy by other means are often wilfully blind to the consequences, and to other solutions. Nonetheless, I do honor the individual who gives up their personal freedom to obey and to serve. I could never do it. I am grateful to blog world friend, Brother Tobias for his description of proud British veterans at an event recently.


Here in Hawaii we walk among a shrinking number of aging, local Japanese boys who served in the most decorated unit of WWII; they were the 442 "Go For Broke" boys who left family and friends in internment camps to fight fascism overseas, and to ultimately be the ones who shot the lock off the gates of Auschwitz. "You fought two enemies, the Nazis, and prejudice. And you have won." President Harry Truman said of them. Our Senator Dan Innouye left his arm in France, but continues to serve Hawaii and the nation without it.





Of course, it was US Marines off of the USS Boston in Honolulu Harbor who helped insure the overthrow of the Hawaiian Monarchy and of the internationally recognized nation of Hawaii. We in Hawaii have a complicated relationship with the islands and people we love, and with the USA that our parents fought and sometimes died for. It's like being children of a complicated marriage; we love both of our parents, even if they disagree from time to time. The formal apology by Bill Clinton's administration was a good step, but only a step in resolving this relationship. . .
Yes, the military holds a lot of Hawaii land, including a big chunk of Waikiki. When you turn Right onto Kalia from Ala Moana Blvd, and drive past the Hilton's 3 heroic hula dancer statues, you are entering the heart of federal property. Fort DeRussy, the Hale Koa hotel, and, Kuroda Field are the sunny face of the military in Hawaii. Depleted uranium rounds, "ordinance reef" (off of leeward O`ahu), and the militarization of sacred Makua valley are the less than beautiful face of our military presence. See, that is a complicated relationship . . .



But today we say a big "Mahalo" to the men and women of every nation and tribe who put themselves at discomfort and risk to serve others. May our "leaders" respect them enough to deploy them with wisdom, discretion, and humanity. And thanks to you too, Dad!

A L O H A! Cloudia





16 comments:

Brother Tobias said...

A fine, thoughtful (and thought-provoking) post. And I love your 'children of a complicated marriage' analogy; that's well put, Cloudia.

Anonymous said...

My daughter used to date a guy in the Hawaii Army National Guard. He is presently serving his 2nd tour of duty in Iraq. He loves the money, hates the heat, but says Iraq is not as bad as the media makes it out to be - even before the surge.

Hope he comes back home in one piece.

Cloudia said...

Thanks to BOTH of you wonderful bloggers for taking the time to stop by and encourage me!

Anonymous said...

Great photos. Well said.

Anonymous said...

interesting perspective

Sepiru Chris said...

Hello Cloudia,

Well, you have me hooked too. :)

Thanks for the comments, and I am now discovering your blog. I might be the winner here, as I am still searching for my voice and working out what messages I want to say.

Also, I tend to prolixity. So, I repeat, I might be the winner here by getting to sample your writing. However, if you are willing to put up with chapteresque posts, then fantastic.

It certainly is quite nice to know that one is being read. I keep trying to tell myself that I write for myself, but will easily admit to being quite astonished (and very gratified) to find that others are willing to read my offerings. I keep thinking that they are not ripe for perusal yet, so it is very nice when someone stumbles upon my offerings and declares them acceptable.

It is even more astonishingly wonderful when they put in a standing order, which is how I see the subscription function. :)

I used to both litigate and also advise in the realm of dispute resolution between Indigenous peoples groups and the State. I did this in Canada and in New Zealand, and I am well aware of the complicated relationships that grow through the nexus of political, economic, and military interests as you refer to in Hawaii. I very much liked the way you referenced and explained your complicated relationship with Veteran's day, and the various power relationships in Hawaii.

I enjoyed your tone, your content, and your stylistic approach in this post. Thanks for sharing the post, and now I shall dip into your archive.

Tchuess,
Chris

Sepiru Chris said...

Hello Cloudia,

Wow.

Multi-talented, multi-hued, multi-faceted... and I have only devoured postings dating back to the the last week of October.

Your blog is a must-read and you must be fantastic company at dinner parties. If your metal yacht with the Popeye wheelhouse lands somewhere where we are, you and your husband would be most welcome at any party we host. I think a party would have to be hosted in your honour just to hear the real thing in real time.

Such facility with citations; what a genuine (by which I mean non-pretentious)and readable gurgling of ideas.

Wow.

I will stop reading, now, and savour the rest in a series of visits.

Write on.

Chris

The Grandpa said...

One of the best Veterans Day post I've seen. As Brother Tobias says, it's both thoughtful and thought provoking, and generous.

RiverPoet said...

Wonderful post, Cloudia. Both times I've visited your fair state, I've gone to the USS Arizona memorial. It is a very humbling place.

Peace - D

Cloudia said...

Thank you, S. Chris. You've given me quite a nice shot in the arm. Subscription/standing order. Yes. I look forward to your posts. amd appreciate knowing of your past associations with these issues
Grandpa: You are happily becoming a welcome presence here in the comfort spiral. Always worthwhile!
RiverPoet: Hope you are enjoying some well deserved peace of mind. I look forward to your next post as well. THANK YOU ALL for YOUR ALOHA!

Maria Verivaki said...

sad poem today cloudia

Dave King said...

You have an excellent eye for the unusual composition. Great.

nonizamboni said...

Nicely written, Cloudia. I was especially touched by the Go For Broke Boys and their valor. We had an internment camp in Idaho which always makes me feel less than patriotic. But great take on Veteran's day.
p.s. Have you been watching PE-Obama's transition this week?! Wow.

Happy Wednesday!

Charles Gramlich said...

Very nice. I always figure the "vets" deserve our honor and support, although the folks who "start" the wars and didn't get shot at themselves need to be looked at more closely.

Anonymous said...

Now that Senator Dan holds the national checkbook, he can start taking better care of our present and returning vets, and also make a real effort to start cleaning up the 824 reported contaminated military sites in Hawai'i. Let us pray for our troops, our senator, and our toxic paradise.

Roan said...

This is a wonderful tribute. I enjoyed the quotes and your heartfelt words. BJ